Great Solo's in Cascades

wayne

Do people solo anymore or is it considered idiotic these days? Here are the ones I know of...

Charles Bell on Willis Wall(if he actually did it).

Peter Croft on Traverseing the Southern Pickets.(Was he Solo? , Which of the peaks did he do?)

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

quote:

Originally posted by rayborbon:
I bet Fred was naked with 2 chicks in each arm
grin.gif" border="0
on the summit
shocked.gif" border="0[big Drink]

Two chicks? What, is old Fred slowing down? That guy used to have a half dozen or more: three or four fine babes for mundane chatter, massages, belay duty; a couple gals to keep the Gatorade coming at those thirsty belay stations; and three or four to keep camp in order.

The first time I ever climbed Three finger jack and Mt. whashington, I went on a spiritual jurny and climbed both peaks... I didn't tell anyone where I was going and wasa gone for four days... just f&%$in' off revelling in my own insanity... but it was the funnest climbing trip i'v ever been on... I think that solo missions feel the most rewarding when accomplished... smile.gif" border="0

My solos have been mostly in the Olympics. They offer spiritual walks through lush forests on the approach, challenging yet safe routes (no glaciers for the most part) and awesome views from the summits. Solos are about the journey, not the summit! I highly endorse them if you've never done them. It's difficult yet inspirational to place yourself in a situation where there's nobody talking to you for an extended period of time. You really get to know yourself in a different way. Everything becomes much more clear in a simplistic way. I did a 3 day kayak trip in the south sound last year. That was fun too.

Tomyhoi Peak three years ago. I backpacked to Yellow Aster Butte faster than I thought I would (thanks to the voracious flies) and got bored counting the weekend warriors near the tarns.

So my little hike ended up as a bagged summit. It's fun when you suprise yourself grin.gif" border="0 .

Solo climbing can be a great experience. In fact, I would say that some of my most memorable climbs in the Cascades have been those that I undertook by myself. It is a wholly different experience from climbing with a partner.

I haven't done as much of it in the past few years as I used to, but I am sure that there are plenty of climbers who do. But they are more likely to be doing it for their own private experience and less likely to report their accomplishments than are other climbers.

W ridge of Stuart goes a hundred different ways unroped. North Index with a rope. Chair. Tooth. W ridge of Prussick. w ridge of Baring (airy hike). My next free solo will be the direct route up the west face of Dragontail.