Good Government

incubus

j_b said:

Greg_W said:Who knows better how to protect your wife and darling son?

it has been shown ever and over that the best to protect yourself and your family is to not have a gun in your home. the same way that wearing a seat belt while driving is shown to be necessary, or wearing a helmet while biking and climbing, etc ... the only difference whith these other examples is that your insistence to have the proliferation of guns go unchecked actually endangers my life and that of my family thumbs_down.gif

THis isn't true, j_b. Just because you can draw a correlation statistically doesn't mean it has meaning of causality. I can show you numbers that prove the fact that because I walk the streets of Seattle wearing a gun, you and your family are safer walking the streets of Seattle.

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I know what "it" says rolleyes.gif

Its comical cuz some "rights" he gets to keep, like rights to medical care (sex changes, other bullshit), and others he loses...

so, i actually think that some of the spelled-out "rights" are real, others are privileges, regardless of how you "spell" it...

Dru said:

Greg_W said:

Okay, Rudy, in simple, but harsh terms: Someone enters your house and threatens you (or your wife) with a knife. What privileges do you have to defend yourself with?

Greg you got your threads mixed up. This one goes in the FEAR thread. wave.gif

good point dru. from the fear troll: "These people seem terribly afraid that somebody might get hurt. Well, somebody might, but that is true totally apart from political considerations and need not be given prominence in our discussions. Fear is not a dignified emotion"

too funny.

RuMR said:

I know what "it" says rolleyes.gif

Its comical cuz some "rights" he gets to keep, like rights to medical care (sex changes, other bullshit), and others he loses...

so, i actually think that some of the spelled-out "rights" are real, others are privileges, regardless of how you "spell" it...

We have the "right" to health care? Where was that in the Constitution. No fucking way, man. You apparently don't know shit.

So Greg - what's the scoop? Why do you feel the need to carry the heat or keep it under the bed? Seattle is a pretty tame place. Maybe if you were a shop keeper in SE Washington DC (lived in DC a while) I could see it. But in Seattle, Bellevue, Redmond? Strikes me as surburban paranoia. So what's up bro?

Greg_W said:

j_b said:

Greg_W said:Who knows better how to protect your wife and darling son?

it has been shown ever and over that the best to protect yourself and your family is to not have a gun in your home. the same way that wearing a seat belt while driving is shown to be necessary, or wearing a helmet while biking and climbing, etc ... the only difference whith these other examples is that your insistence to have the proliferation of guns go unchecked actually endangers my life and that of my family thumbs_down.gif

THis isn't true, j_b. Just because you can draw a correlation statistically doesn't mean it has meaning of causality. I can show you numbers that prove the fact that because I walk the streets of Seattle wearing a gun, you and your family are safer walking the streets of Seattle.

do statistics show that gun owners and their families have a greater chance of getting shot? yes. case closed.

does unchecked gun proliferation lead to more bad guys having guns and greater murder rate? yes. case closed.

now you can spin all you want, quote the bill of rights, etc .. it won't change the statistics.

Sphinx said:

rbw1966 said:

Where does it say in the constitution you have the right to own a handgun?

I think he means like the right to bear arms?

If he can interpret "handgun" from "right to bear arms" then why cannot someone else interpret right to healtchare from the right to pursue life, libery and happiness?

I think Greg is being selective in his intepretive skills.

Jim said:

So Greg - what's the scoop? Why do you feel the need to carry the heat or keep it under the bed? Seattle is a pretty tame place. Maybe if you were a shop keeper in SE Washington DC (lived in DC a while) I could see it. But in Seattle, Bellevue, Redmond? Strikes me as surburban paranoia. So what's up bro?

A Swede living in Ballard.

Greg...if you've been keeping abreast of the news you will have noted that a prison inmate was granted a sex change based on his civil rights...which i think is a fuking joke...it was under the part about cruel and unusual punishment and the fact that prison was preventing him from becoming her true self...gimme a break...

I don't care how that bill of rights is worded...i still maintain that owning a gun in today's civilized world is a PRIVILEGE and can be monitored/regulated/ and control...it is completely beyond me, how any person, w/o any SERIOUS background checks, no proper education or training, can walk into a walmart and buy a 9mm semiauto pistol and all the ammunition he/she can put in a backpack...its completely fucking assinine...

So somebody whining to me about their godgiven "right" really frosts my hide, when chances are someone this evening will be shot and a good percentage of the responses will be something along the lines of:

"I didn't know it was loaded"

"I didn't think my son could find it"

blah blah blah

Just so you know, i grew up hunting w/ rifles and shotguns and bows, so i'm not talking out of my ass...I don't think "everyone" should be able to own a gun, period.

Off_White said:

Jim said:

A Swede living in Ballard.

Afraid to actually answer the question?

Jim said:

"Analyzing political conservatism as motivated social cognition integrates theories of personality (authoritarianism, dogmatism—intolerance of ambiguity), epistemic and existential needs (for closure, regulatory focus, terror management)"

psychology of conservatism

rbw1966 said:

Where does it say in the constitution you have the right to own a handgun?

Our glorious, dead-letter Constitution states that the "right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." I know this will infuriate you statist heathens with an ax to grind, but 'not infringed' means if you're tall enough to put your money on the counter, you can have a gun.

Stick that in your pipe and smoke it you anti-gun anal buccaneers.

I live in Ballard and it is not so scary as to make me think I need to arm myself against the Boogey Man, who is going to come to my house and do lots of bad things.

Where do people get these ideas about needing to protect themselves and their families against the Boogey Man, anyway? Seriously!

Jim said:

Jim, you apparantly like to tell other people what to drive, what to eat, how to live, and it's logical you'd carry that over to whether they are safe or not. Keep in mind that everyone isn't in Jim's small, small, world.

I'm sure you buy insurance for your car, your house, your life, just in case. I know I do and I go a step or two further with my just in case.

Maybe you remember me posting on this topic last winter, just before Christmas where I mentioned that our receptionist had a home invasion in Tukwila and was held at gunpoint. Not everyone is a nice guy outside of Jim's world.