Good Government

incubus

incubus said:

rbw1966 said:

Where does it say in the constitution you have the right to own a handgun?

Our glorious, dead-letter Constitution states that the "right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." I know this will infuriate you statist heathens with an ax to grind, but 'not infringed' means if you're tall enough to put your money on the counter, you can have a gun.

Stick that in your pipe and smoke it you anti-gun anal buccaneers.

anti-gun? Chill dude...that's like saying we are anti-car...why don't we just extend the analogy a bit and everyone go run down to WalArms and buy the new readily available mini-Hbomb, or just some c4 and some claymors...you know, gotta have the latest in home defense, eh? rolleyes.gif

I'm only maintaining that they should be licensed and restricted to people that are qualified to own them...

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Dru said:

mattp said:

Dru said:

you'd ban it after 3 posts wave.gifrolleyes.gifsnaf.gifHCL.gif

Only if it started engaging in vicious personal attack -- but then again, I guess that is what drug-crazed axe weilders do, eh?

you mean vicious like posting pictures of rabbis and richard simmons?

for pete's sake let it go Dru! yellaf.gif

[vegetablebelay said:[/i][/b]

Jim, you apparantly like to tell other people what to drive, what to eat, how to live, and it's logical you'd carry that over to whether they are safe or not. Keep in mind that everyone isn't in Jim's small, small, world.

I'm sure you buy insurance for your car, your house, your life, just in case. I know I do and I go a step or two further with my just in case.

Maybe you remember me posting on this topic last winter, just before Christmas where I mentioned that our receptionist had a home invasion in Tukwila and was held at gunpoint. Not everyone is a nice guy outside of Jim's world.

I didn't tell anyone what they should do - just asked the question. An your answer seems to imply that you think you need to protect yourself - from what exactly?

incubus said:

rbw1966 said:

Our glorious, dead-letter Constitution states that the "right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." I know this will infuriate you statist heathens with an ax to grind, but 'not infringed' means if you're tall enough to put your money on the counter, you can have a gun.

ok now i need you to define "Arms" further, there is no specificity to which arms (guns if you define it that ways)mentioned. Couldn't we just as easily say that you have the right to bear only a 12ga w/o violating the second ammendment. please note when evaluating my comments that i believe that since i hold the first and fourth ammendments in high regard that i also have to support the second. i'm just not sure my support has to include automatic weapons. wave.gif

iain said:

Dru said:

mattp said:

Dru said:

you'd ban it after 3 posts wave.gifrolleyes.gifsnaf.gifHCL.gif

Only if it started engaging in vicious personal attack -- but then again, I guess that is what drug-crazed axe weilders do, eh?

you mean vicious like posting pictures of rabbis and richard simmons?

for pete's sake let it go Dru! yellaf.gif

if it works - you use it till it doesnt smirk.gif

Jim said:

[vegetablebelay said:[/i][/b]

Jim, you apparantly like to tell other people what to drive, what to eat, how to live, and it's logical you'd carry that over to whether they are safe or not. Keep in mind that everyone isn't in Jim's small, small, world.

I'm sure you buy insurance for your car, your house, your life, just in case. I know I do and I go a step or two further with my just in case.

Maybe you remember me posting on this topic last winter, just before Christmas where I mentioned that our receptionist had a home invasion in Tukwila and was held at gunpoint. Not everyone is a nice guy outside of Jim's world.

I didn't tell anyone what they should do - just asked the question. An your answer seems to imply that you think you need to protect yourself - from what exactly?

Jim...in short he needs to defend himself against whackos who legally purchased their semi auto handguns...quite a conundrum (spelling?), huh?

Whoa...this thread's going in several different directions.

I personally believe in God, and believe (as our Forefathers did) that these rights are God-given.

If by God you mean Reason, then sure I agree wit ya. Reason is a facility of man's mind. Vive la Raison!

--snip--the basis for your rights is the fact that you EXIST. --snip--Your existence is by what you claim these rights.

Existence with conviction is superior to existence alone.

minx said:

incubus said:

rbw1966 said:

ok now i need you to define "Arms" further, there is no specificity to which arms (guns if you define it that ways)mentioned. Couldn't we just as easily say that you have the right to bear only a 12ga w/o violating the second ammendment. please note when evaluating my comments that i believe that since i hold the first and fourth ammendments in high regard that i also have to support the second. i'm just not sure my support has to include automatic weapons. wave.gif

there's no stipulation. common sense says no grenades or bazookas. wave.gif

incubus said:

rbw1966 said:

Aside from the absurd "tall enough to put your money on the counter" extrapolation, you still didn't answer the question about how you go from "arms" to "handgun." If you can interpret the word "arms" to mean extend to handguns why can't I also interpret universal healthcare from the right to life?

Oh--and just in the interest of full disclosure, I own a handgun.

rbw1966 said:

incubus said:

rbw1966 said:

Aside from the absurd "tall enough to put your money on the counter" extrapolation, you still didn't answer the question about how you go from "arms" to "handgun." If you can interpret the word "arms" to mean extend to handguns why can't I also interpret universal healthcare from the right to life?

RBW...that is the funny thing isn't it?? I've owned guns most all of my life...and i'm not opposed to gun ownership, per se...but some folks get all hot and bothered if you try to regulate it...

incubus said:

some pointless and vulgar things

Why does this guy insist on this sort of crap? He really does ruin every discussion, doesn't he?

Back to the topic, or one of them anyway:

What's the likelihood of the Boogey Man showing up at your door? Does this happen so frequently in our world that we need to be armed to deal with it? I've been burglarized a couple of times and the like, and it's really nothing more than an inconvenicence, and nothing a gun would have helped with anyway. Even if I had walked in on the burglars, there's no way in hell I'd have shot them. Get real!

rbw1966 said:

thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

i recently purchased a gun but that doesn't mean i think that every type of weapons should be legal.

i guess we need to define "is" rolleyes.gif

incubus said:

minx said:

while why not "no automatic weapons"

that's what my common sense says

because you libs. managed to get them banned awhile back. If a person has a FAL, he can legally own a machine gun.

Cool! I'll mount it on my HUMMER! for when I drive to the mall. evils3d.gif

Marylou, you're entitled to your opinion. I'm not attacking you here, but I believe you're quite naive and living in some dream world...is it Oz? I'm ecstatic that you're not armed - people like you scare the hell out of me. Please continue to go about your business as usual and don't bitch if you're ever attacked with no means of defense other than your rabid mouth.

j_b said:

Greg_W said:

j_b said:

Greg_W said:Who knows better how to protect your wife and darling son?

it has been shown ever and over that the best to protect yourself and your family is to not have a gun in your home. the same way that wearing a seat belt while driving is shown to be necessary, or wearing a helmet while biking and climbing, etc ... the only difference whith these other examples is that your insistence to have the proliferation of guns go unchecked actually endangers my life and that of my family thumbs_down.gif

THis isn't true, j_b. Just because you can draw a correlation statistically doesn't mean it has meaning of causality. I can show you numbers that prove the fact that because I walk the streets of Seattle wearing a gun, you and your family are safer walking the streets of Seattle.

do statistics show that gun owners and their families have a greater chance of getting shot? yes. case closed.

does unchecked gun proliferation lead to more bad guys having guns and greater murder rate? yes. case closed.

now you can spin all you want, quote the bill of rights, etc .. it won't change the statistics.

full of shit, as always. Believe what you want, I don't try and change people's minds anymore.

incubus said:

Marylou, you're entitled to your opinion. I'm not attacking you here, but I believe you're quite naive and living in some dream world...is it Oz? I'm ecstatic that you're not armed - people like you scare the hell out of me. Please continue to go about your business as usual and don't bitch if you're ever attacked with no means of defense other than your rabid mouth.

Who are all these phantom attackers you're talking about? Where - in Seattle, eastside? WTF are you so scared of that you need a gun?

Jim said:

So Greg - what's the scoop? Why do you feel the need to carry the heat or keep it under the bed? Seattle is a pretty tame place. Maybe if you were a shop keeper in SE Washington DC (lived in DC a while) I could see it. But in Seattle, Bellevue, Redmond? Strikes me as surburban paranoia. So what's up bro?

Seattle tame? Tell that to the girl who was attacked and the guy who tried to help her (who was killed) during the Mardi Gras riots. What about WTO? Do you think that crime is no problem here? Give me a fucking break. What about the crackdown on all the hip hop clubs in Pioneer Square?

Call me what you want, I don't care. Just don't infringe on my rights.

Enjoy learning to love Big Brother, cause that's what you are going to get when you ask for what you're asking for.

RuMR said:

I don't care how that bill of rights is worded...i still maintain that owning a gun in today's civilized world is a PRIVILEGE and can be monitored/regulated/ and control...it is completely beyond me, how any person, w/o any SERIOUS background checks, no proper education or training, can walk into a walmart and buy a 9mm semiauto pistol and all the ammunition he/she can put in a backpack...its completely fucking assinine...

so i'm not talking out of my ass...

Rudy, you are talking out of your ass when you say "I don't care how the Bill of Rights is worded..." Plus, you have no fucking clue: NO PERSON can walk into WalMart and buy a pistol without a background check. First off, I think WalMart stopped selling handguns. Second, any buyer has to go through a 7 day waiting period AND background check; even CWP holders have to submit to the NICS check at time of purchase. The fact that you think you know what you are talking about and you come up with this is assinine. It's clueless fucking people like you that lead to stupid laws that punish law-abiding people. You make me fucking sick.

Greg_W