Wayne1112 - my new hero!

erden

Last night, I attended the Traverse of the Picketts slideshow that Wayne and his partners presented. Wayne had concieved of the idea a while back, they later visited sections of the range on different occasions for reconnaissance. The slide show was the summary of the enchainment of all summits in the southern Picketts, the perfect example of the transition of a dream that one day turns into a project, then a plan to be executed - a dream come true. The summit shots of the climbers had them counting each by their fingers - later they ran out of fingers in the count wink.gif

Wayne and his partners, the stars of the night, were willing to share the spotlight with me, to turn the occasion into a fundraiser for Around-n-Over by holding a raffle. The prizes in the raffle were three "Walking the Fence" t-shirts of theirs. We successfully raised $123 for the non-profit, and I am humbled by the generosity of the audience, and of the graciousness of Wayne and his team.

This is a public "thank you" to them for all that it is worth.

Erden.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was a cool show, but I was hoping that panorama of the Pickets was going to be included in the raffle. wink.gif Nice job Wayne, Colin, and Mark!

I was really impressed by the scope of your upcoming journey, Erden, after hearing you talk about it in person. Something about the way you calmly described your itinerary had me shaking my head in awe at your courage. Good luck! thumbs_up.gif

Interesting little tidbit: Some other Picketts explorers were there and it was either Mike Swayne or John Roper or maybe it was Silas Wild who commented that Joan Firey had participated a trip based on a similar vision thirty years ago. He pointed out on the panorama which portion of the traverse her party had completed, but at that moment I was discracted and I wasn't quite paying attention. Way to go, Wayne, Colin and Marko for realizing the fantasy of a forebearer that I bet you didn't even know you had!

The Mazamas have a Wednesday Night Program already set up, but I think they fill up their schedule a year or two in advance. It doesn't hurt to call and ask though. You might also be able to get a special presentation there. (The clubrooms can only hold 60-80 people, so it'd be good if you were looking for a smaller venue.)

"Way to go, Wayne, Colin and Marko for realizing the fantasy of a forebearer that I bet you didn't even know you had! "

Oh, Silas told me quite a while ago that Joan Firey had it as a goal. If you look up my posts, there should be one from last year of so, looking for Carla Firey's (she's the daughter, right?) e-mail address.

And by the way, I think Wayne is doing some slideshow in the Portland area come October - perhaps he'll include traverse slides.

What a pleasant gathering in Ballard yesterday evening, comfortable, small venue like Feathered Friends (minus the free keg) or Swallows Nest in the early '70s and presenters who still can't get over their realization of a beautiful dream. Thanks to you who credited me with the historical info, but it was John Roper who claimed that Joan Firey had done much of the traverse previously, but in pieces over several trips not as a full enchainment. Also it was great to see Mike Swayne, from the first ascent team of the North Ridge of Terror in 1961, there and learn that he walked into Pioneer Ridge this summer. They walked out to the Baker River in a day.

The comment Wayne (?) made about wondering if Peter Croft had considered it: I don't know that he climbs rock of Picket quality. Comments made on this forum in July about rating sandbaggers were interesting to me as I've watched rating inflation over the past 40 yrs. Take a look at the original rating of Midway at Castle Rock in the 1960 orange paperback guide 5.4, now I think the books call it 5.6 (of course these days what rock jock has a clue what the difference is between difficulty of these levels). Also Fred's description of the East Ridge of Inspiration is "some steep 5th class" Some of what folks here called "sandbagging" may be old grading, what say you MattP?

Let's see now, back to the title of this thing! How old were Fred and Helmy when they did the first ascent of Inspiration? Older or younger than Colin's first winter ascent of it? Great to see Colin and others realize there are still new adventures in the Pickets, and have a couple mentioned at the show. Picketagonia, nice name for winter there.

Thanks to the three Picketeers for a great show. Now back to my lurking....