how do I start?

nicole26

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Second, show at Pub Club next Tuesday. The unofficial word is it'll be at Grady's in Montlake. Look for the Pub Club thread next week for verification and directions.

Third (and I'm gonna catch a lot of shit for this,) pick up a copy of Freedom of the Hills, 7th Edition. Seek out the 7th Edition as it's a big improvement from the 6th Edition. It just came out in print this month. Regardless, FOTH is a comprehensive text on alpine mountaineering. As a reference text, it'll cover the fundamentals of what you need to know.

Last, nothing substitutes for hands on experience and a good mentor. You can find one (or many) on this board, or opt for a little structure - gym clinics, climbing clubs or something very structured like the Mountaineers.

Flame suit on moon.gif

Figger Eight: disreputable and disrespectable

Catbirdseat: disheveled and dispicable

Toast: discombobulated and disposable

Dryad: dyspeptic and disillusioned

ChucK: disgruntled and disenfranchised

Maryk: discursive and disinteresting

Bug: discredited and disfigured.

Klenke: disciplined yet discountable

A bru-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha! hahaha.gif

Toast said:Third (and I'm gonna catch a lot of shit for this,) pick up a copy of Freedom of the Hills, 7th Edition. Seek out the 7th Edition as it's a big improvement from the 6th Edition.

In comparing the 2 at the bookstore tonight I can't say that I noticed that big a difference (aside from some changed diagrams - that didn't really affect message). Why one vs. the other?

cj001f said:

Toast said:Third (and I'm gonna catch a lot of shit for this,) pick up a copy of Freedom of the Hills, 7th Edition. Seek out the 7th Edition as it's a big improvement from the 6th Edition.

In comparing the 2 at the bookstore tonight I can't say that I noticed that big a difference (aside from some changed diagrams - that didn't really affect message). Why one vs. the other?

I havn't seen it but I'm told that there is a bunch more in the 7th on Ice compared to the 6th.

Hey Nicole -

No one believed I was real either . . . in fact my post got moved to "Spray" - geesh.

BUT - being a "corporate monkey" during the week - I climb at the gym a during the week (especially now that it's getting dark earlier) and outside on weekends.

If you want to meet up at VW or Stone Gardens some weeknight just give a shout.

B

Yes, Greg is safe and good to climb with (I'm starting to make my own list). And yes, CG33 is real - I've even climbed with her! And yes, we will be at VW tonight. And...with a few more posts, Nicole's thread will have beat the thread that was caused my introductory note (let's let that thing lay dead and buried please) bigdrink.gif

Thinker said:

ClimbingGirl33 said:

Hey Nicole -

No one believed I was real either . . . in fact my post got moved to "Spray" - geesh.

I believed you, CG33...but I was one of the few. it's good to see you coming back around after such a 'hearty' welcome.

Ahhhhhhhhh you believed I was real because you are a thinker and had a little pre-move Craig's list insite.

I haven't met too many CC.comers yet (or if I have, I didn't know it) tongue.gif - but I did make my first appearance at Pub Club last night. Baby steps . . .

Thanks to those of you who have sent me encouraging PMs. I'm jumping off into a new sport which I obviously have a whole lot of learning to do in order to feel competent in. It sounds like making contact with a few safe climbers and maybe trying a local gym is the way to go. At this point my goal is I guess what you would call 'Alpine,' in order to enjoy the scenery from up high and feel a sense of achievement in reaching some of the summits in the region.

Since I'll probably never have the time to commit to reach a technically high level in this sport, perhaps I ought to be conversing with some of the other PNW climbing/hiking sites. (But I kinda like the wiseguy attitudes here. grin.gif) I do believe I have the stamina for alpine climbing, having been involved in competitive swimming and rowing not too many years ago. And to the guy that suggested that because I work a lot that I'm a fat pig, I would say that's not what most of the folks that I have figure modeled for would say! tongue.gif I do have a copy of the 6th ed. Freedom of the Hills, which is my bedside reading at the moment.

Thanks again for those of you who have encouraged...maybe this lowly beginner should stop posting and start climbing, as one person has said.