which is he?  

99 members have voted

1. 1. which is he?

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If somebody wanted to change the program for Rope-Up, or the programmer, the time for that was months ago.

Mattp, I think the issue is that the rest of cc.comers never had the opportunity, b/c it was being done behind closed doors with no consultation to anyone else until a lot of Beckfest was all lined up. Beck deserves any bashing he gets. rolleyes.gif

ryland_moore said:

Mattp, I think the issue is that the rest of cc.comers never had the opportunity, b/c it was being done behind closed doors with no consultation to anyone else until a lot of Beckfest was all lined up. Beck deserves any bashing he gets. rolleyes.gif

Actually, I don't think that is true. I recall Beck filling us in on his progress toward gaining sponsors way back as early as May or something, and he brought some glossy material to a pubclub that I think took place in June but nobody was really all that interested. 'Round about July, there was a bit of a shock when he announced there would be professonal beer servers and a beer garden, and then there was general outrage when he started proclaiming Ropeup to be "his" festival and stuff like that. He has not shown much sensitivity to the concerns being expressed by some of the more vociferous posters around here, but in fact I don't think he has really been plotting "behind closed doors."

Aside from the history of HOW WE GOT HERE, however, is the question WHAT DO WE DO NOW? I just think it looks like lots of people around here want to cut off their nose to spite their face.

If you look back at the posts, Beck did not come out and say that he was taking the lead, he was getting sponsors, would have a raffle for prizes and would go corporate prior to the cc.com world finding out about "Beckfest". If he did hint at anything, I would assume most people would take it as him doing the same thing he did last year. A pub club does not constitute a quarum. And after the pub club, there was no dialogue by Beck or anyone in attendance about the "glossies" (whatever that means) or his plans/ideas for this year's Rope Up. I think the first thing we ever heard about corporate sponsorship was from ehmic when she made a post stating that she received an e-mail from AAC that had "Beckfest" on their calendar.

All I am saying is that there are ways to do business and ways to not do business. Beck's approach came off sneaky and I fully understand why others have their hackles up. There are ways to make friends and ways to make enemies. Beck has discovered the latter and I hope it is a life lesson. If he does this in his professional life and organizes/comes to consensus in a similar fashion, then I imagine he is burning some serious professional bridges out there (ones he may not even know he had) and making a reputation for himself as one not to work with cause he will take all the credit and throw his partners to the ground. Word of mouth will make you or break you in your career and in life. Just from Beck's own personal posts (reaks of arrogance and conceitedness), I'd say he is on the losing end.

Also, if Beck is really like his personal posts, which may not even be the case, then having him as a spokesperson talking to govt. officials about climbing access may not be the best thing. Beck is not a PR person, he is a journalist if I am unmistaken and these are two different vocations entirely. To be in PR, one has to be sensitive to ther audience in question. A quality and skill Beck most definately does not possess. I am sure the Rope Up will be wonderful, will be a big hit, and a wonderful success. Beck seems to have done a good job at organizing the event. Just not a good job of PR with the folks that truely matter, the climbers on this site. Lessons in life is all one can chalk this situation up to be. Sorry for the diatribe.

you mean, me bring a lousy tapper?

no, this year is bigger. sorry to stir up big amounts of controversy over my personality or the parties we throw...

when you guys threw parties back in college, how did you go about it?

you and a few friends planned, schemed, came up with some good ideas, and then made it happen. did you ask every one who might attend how they want the party thrown?

and i did talk with jon, mattp, a few others, even alpine k about ropeup this year and have included their responses in the planning...sorry you have collectively misunderstood.

sorry i'm a self promoting, self spraying ass.

i know what i'm doing for dirtbag climbers, and so do a lot of others out there, just not maybe in here.

ropeup is a party for climbers. huh. go figure. i guess that's BAD, from what I read on this site.

dont you think you are all beating a dead horse over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again is kinda like you are all being what you proclaim to despise?

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm????????????????????????????

Did you go to Terminal Gravity and talk to him about going another route for beer, since he was part of the entire plan? I didn't think so. Admit when you might have messed up on this aspect of it, and people will respect you alot morethan if you stay in your own little world of denial. As for party planning, I organize with those who will be the host. Beck, you have made it appear as if you are the host, but are using cc.com as your cover. Therefore, I would have posted a poll on the website or asked what others felt and had an open discussion on this site. If you host a cocktail party with 4 other couples but only plan and confer with one of the couples, does that mean you still put the other three couples names as hosts on the invitations? I don't think so. CC.com folks did not have input and you are receiving flack for it. Like I said before, Life lesson, learn from your mistakes and move on. You will be a better individual for it. If you don't learn from this and cannot take constructive criticism for what it is worth, then I feel sorry for you. You will burn many more bridges and lose many potential friendships because of this.

and i did talk with jon, mattp, a few others, even alpine k about ropeup this year and have included their responses in the planning...sorry you have collectively misunderstood.

yeah and Alpine K is really happy with your interpretations of his ideas i am sure. rolleyes.gif

actually ryland, i tried to call steve starting in may but his staff is unable to leave him messages or something, as was marmot.

when another sponsor agreed to throw in a keg, tg was out. even though it is mac and jack, and not pyramid.

sorry guys. there is much more collusion and cooperation behind ropeup then this site thinks.

just talked to OR's PR guy, expect something nice in your free giveaway bag if you show up.

and msr is doing the same.

free stuff for dirtbags. how does that happen?

organization.

anyone on the site still interested in promoting climbing access issues in the northwest via organizing climbing festivals and events, jump on board. we aren't unveiling what we are doing for the spring...

again, because i respect this site and all posters herein, sorry i'm throwing a party for dirtbag climbers, and the sponsors, they just signed up to support you guys.

go figure.

again, i'm sorry if my actions have been skewed on cc.com

I've got three questions for Beck.

1.) Who is we? You keep saying we in your planning. I want to know who we is.

2.) Exactly what input have you taken from me, Mattp, and K?

3.) Why do you keep refering to everyone as dirtbag climbers?

I'm sorry I had to post this here but you have pretty much avoided adressing my questions in private emails.