Soft Shells Suck!

cracked

After hearing so many accolades, I bit the bullet and bought some Patagonia Guide pants. They suck. Stretchy, yes, comfy, yes. BUT they have miserable wind resistance, worse water resistance, are heavy, non-versatile, and overall just plain suck. I'm going to shop around for some more weather resistant pants, cause I don't think I'll ever use these for anything but cragging. thumbs_down.gifthumbs_down.gifthumbs_down.gif

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Too bad you are a bigger lad that I am Cracked, as I'd take-em off your hands if they fit. I've used as stand-alone pants for water-ice, long-alpine routes, BC skiiing/boarding, cycling in cold weather, volcano-slogging, cragging - you name it - in the Cascades and the Rockies. One of the better pieces of gear I've ever bought.

cracked said:

After hearing so many accolades, I bit the bullet and bought some Patagonia Guide pants. They suck. Stretchy, yes, comfy, yes. BUT they have miserable wind resistance, worse water resistance, are heavy, non-versatile, and overall just plain suck. I'm going to shop around for some more weather resistant pants, cause I don't think I'll ever use these for anything but cragging. thumbs_down.gifthumbs_down.gifthumbs_down.gif

since you don't know how to jam properly (see thread about crack too small for your fist yellaf.gif) why should we trust your ability to evaluate gear? rolleyes.gifyellaf.gif

Dru said:

cracked said:

since you don't know how to jam properly (see thread about crack too small for your fist yellaf.gif) why should we trust your ability to evaluate gear? rolleyes.gifyellaf.gif

Bite me. rolleyes.gif

wtf is wrong with liebacking anyway? if it gets you up the thing w/o resorting to aid and doesn't wear you out, so be it, I say.

I have been considering some patagonia guide pants. They appear to be selling new, beefier ones now, with some kind of stupid built-in gaiter thumbs_down.gif almost weigh as much as my ice nine xcr bibs thumbs_down.gifthumbs_down.gif

fruit.giffruit.gif

Whatever. I've used my guide pants (the older, Schoeller ones) for 7 years now. They've gone skiing, climbing, biking, running, and other assorted activities for years. But there not versatile, and they don't crinkle. And they don't have a really pimping big logo to show off to all my friends.

Dru said:

trask said:

I agree with Cracked. Softshell ain't my thang either. That's 2 against ????

and in another thread you said "I threw away all my Goretex and wear nothing but soft shell now" rolleyes.gifrolleyes.gifrolleyes.gif get your story straight

Yeah I know, but since then I've decided to be undecided.

rbw1966 said:

I'm with the lawgoddess. I dropped the coin for a pair of mammut schoeller pants and I love them. I almost never wear my bibs anymore. They shed water just dandy, dry quickly, are comfy, wind-resistant and are pimp.

I've got a pair of MEC Schoeller pants for crack climbs, and they're fucking awesome. Warm when it's cool, cool when it's warm, and my legs stay less scraped up. thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif The pockets are really deep though... thumbs_up.gif

Redoubt said:

cracked said:

Redoubt said:

trask said:

I agree with Cracked. Softshell ain't my thang either. That's 2 against ????

Uhh, no, I'd say that's about 1.00000000000001 against.

HEY! madgo_ron.gif

Didn't think I needed to point out that you count as 1, Cracked.

ONLY 1? tongue.gif

Seriously, I like softshells in general, but more the nylon windpants variety. This is the first stretch-woven garment I've used, and the fabric dissapoints me. I'm going back to light nylon windpants over long johns, I don't like goretex much either.

Man I love my Schoeller pants and top. They are wind and water resistant, and breathe very well. No, they are not totally wind and water proof, but they do suffice in most conditions. In the snow, you'll stay perfectly dry. The breathability is fantastic.

The Lawgoddess knows what's up. Mammut pants are the ticket. No wonder so many Euros dig 'em. The velcro around the ankles also works well to convert the sporty trousers into knee highs. They've treated me well in the Cascades, Red Rocks, Alaska, and the Bugaboos alike. I'd been using a pair of original schoeller talus pants from Patagonia for years. I use them for everything except running in the afternoon Seattle summer heat.

Kevin_Ristau said:

My Schoeller gear rockband.gif

Like all gear, softshells have their time and place.

Anytime, anywhere.

Bullshit. The time is summer and the place is at the crags or in the bar. At least for schoeller dynamic type fabrics. Powershield is probably better in terms of weather resistance, but I'm really dissappointed in these pants.