• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

minx said:

Il Puerco Lloron

on the pike hill climb. hole in the wall. great food

The Crying Pig? 'sup widdat?

Anyway, toss in La Bonita and La Sirenita on NE Alberta St. (~ 28th-29th ave) here in PDX, and that place down on Killingsworth and 10th or so that makes their own tortillas, and has the hand-scrawled menu, and feels like you just stepped into Costa Rica or something.

• 2 years later...

Time to drudge this up after I had a couple of surprising Mexican Food experiences lately

The Guyamas on Greenlake was surprisingly really good (I had the Chile Rellenos). Tasty. The waitress might've tried to rip us off though, had some stuff from a previous bill on our tab. Probably a mistake, but check your bill! Pretty pricey.

I finally tried Agua Verde by the UW Med Center, and perhaps it was my high expectations, but I was not impressed. I got pork carnitas, beans and rice and all were quite flavorless. The marg was insipid. Plus the waiter had a bit of an attitude. Maybe it was a fluke, cause I always hear good stuff about that place. It was packed too! Maybe people like paying restaurant prices for a slanty table and bland food as long as it's "natural"?

I ate at what used to be Pancho Villas (now called "Mr. Villa" wazzup.gif) on Lake City Way near 15th a couple of years back. It seemed pretty authentic Mexican.

Oaxaca on Ballard Ave is hands down my favorite mexican restaurant

I like Aqua Verde a lot for lunch

Guyamas on green lake is very good. Other Guyamas on Leary is good too for fast mexican

I also think the burritos at Beso Del Sol in Wallingford rock

There are a lot of other generic mexican family style restauants around that hit the spot, but aren't necessarily anything special.

If you are eating in Wenatchee, you have two good options. If you're going for the restaurant idea, La Fuente can't be beat, kick ass margarita's too!!!! If you want more of a quickie, taqueria thing, check out Taco Loco, its a bit of a hole in the wall, but thats how most of the best places are. Also, Banditos Burritos in Bellingham rocks, maybe not really authentic mexican food, but some of the best burritos I have ever had.

La Carta de Oaxaca in Ballard shows what good presentation will do, and what gringos will pay for three bites of food. Suckas.

Now if you want good real Mexican, check out the taco truck on Rainier and about four blocks north of Genesee. Or the one in Monroe after a day of climbing. Both have great adobada, asada, and way good salsas.

(and having said that, La Carta is definitely my fave Mexican sit-down in Seattle, cuz I'm a sucka willing to pay.)

Ochoa Taqueria, on the north side of the eastbound main drag in Hillsboro. Cheap, authentic, fresh, huge helpings, and as a gringo you will be in the minority of diners for sure. This is the best mex food in the PDX metro area, IMO.

Mapquest rocks:

Taqueria Ochoa: 503-640-4755

943 SE Oak St

Hillsboro, OR 97123, US

Map linky: http://tinyurl.com/qt8zv

Edited by willstrickland

How do you work up a good appetite just bouldering?

west of the passes: 2-6 hours moss scrubbing for every 10 minutes of climbing

east of the passes: 50 minutes of climbing out of every 60 vs. 50 minutes belaying out of 60 for you dabbers.

not to mention my non-stop puffery.

I get plenty hungry.

Shit, no mention yet of Martina's, at the south end of Madras, on the right as you head north, where 97 splits...

Best enjoyed with raw tips and tuff-dirty, chalk-dusted attire. Mmmm...tres tacos de asada, por favor. Plus, you can buy cervezas from the cold case, and drink 'em at the table. Cheap and bomb, no doubt.

Soon, Martina's...soon... cheeburga_ron.gif