Good Mexican Grub in the Northwest?

E-rock

Talking about Dim Sum in another thread got me thinking about other good, authentic foods. Namely Mexican Food.

After moving to the Norhwest from the Southwest I've spent the last 2 years seeking out Taquerias that are authentic in price and preparation.

Taqueria Morelia in the U-district has good tacos (their Carnitas stands out as the best (you can get tripe too)).

But the prices are a little steep (by SW standards).

Guaymas is alright. They have a good mole (exceptionally good actually). But the best location of that small chain is in Sedro Wooley. The mole there is better than at the locations down here. Also, the ceviche is good, and well-priced.

Anyone else know of good, cheap, authentic Mexican places in the Northwest. (I know some places in Portland that fit these criteria much better than the two that I named in Seattle).

If you name La Vaca, or some other iceberg-lettuce-shredding, rice-stuffing, ruptured-tortilla-making, burrito-shithole, you are disqualified from making suggestions. boxing_smiley.gif

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

rbw,

Serenita on Alberta (north-side) is great (and cheap). The place right next to it isn't. There's a new place on the South Side further to the West with an outdoor patio that my friends tell me is really good also (and cheaper than it looks).

The other place is way out on the end of Sandy (can't remember the name, it MIGHT be El Sombrero. I just looked on Mapquest. It's in the right location, but that doesn't mean it's the right place. There are a bunch out that way. If I remember correctly it's in the same building as a plant shop, or a flower shop.) and they make the best damn fish tacos I've ever had.

The place on Alberta (La Serenita) makes great Huevos Rancheros, Really good tacos, and kick-ass lamb soup (berria? burria?). There's also a Mexican Market on Alberta that makes Carnitas on the weekends. It's the best Carnitas I've had in the NW.

La Tarrasca in Centralia, WA (exit 82 on I-5) is some of the best I've found in the NW. Small family run restaurant, all using mama's recipes from Michoacan. I'd have to say their chile relleno is as good as any I've had anywhere.

Its been years since I've been there, but I also liked El Puerco Llaron over by the Pike Place Market in Seattle. Very limited menu, but their tacos closely resembled the street vendor tacos in northern Baja that I grew up on. The beef even had that range cattle taste, not corn fed.

I haven't eaten "real" mexican yet, so I don't know the true standard...

There is a sweet place in Vancouver BC called The Mouse and the Bean on Pender street in Vancouver BC.

It's a tiny whole in the wall from which comes yummy cheap food. cheeburga_ron.gifcheeburga_ron.gif

rbw1966 said:

What are those portland recommendations?

So far none in the NW Mazatlan, Santa Fe and Hungry Dog are all overpriced and mediocre (but then that describes much of NW PDX, excluding certain martini producing happy hours at the lascivious legume)

rbw1966 said:

What are those portland recommendations?

almost non-existent. It's pretty grim around here in the mexi-department... but a recently discovered gem is "Ole Ole" on east burnside around 21st. It's the genuine shit and cheap cheap cheap... just like it should be.

Nope just beer. The place with the outdoor patio on the south side of the street (sorry the name fails me) might have Margs. I haven't eaten there, but my friends (all Utards like myself so their opinions are trustworthy) tell me it's good.

Great little place recently opened on Lake City Way across from Coopers Ale House, north of 75th. Run by a Mexican family - but avoid the margaritias. Santa Fe Cafe for good southwest food on Phinney Ridge - go for the margaritias.

quote]Crackbolter said:

How is the one next to my house? 65th and 14th?

Why don't you find out for us? I'll give you a hint. If they served individual tacos for 1.25 or less, and all they have is meat, cilantro, and onions on them, it's probably a winner.