If you only had one day to climb in August . . .

ClimbingGirl33

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

mattp said:

In my view, the South Buttress of Cutthroat is NOT worth doing. All things considered, and when compared to other routes in the area, it is a relatively dirty and unaesthetic climb.

Not worth doing? Dirty and unaesthetic climb? It's more of a mountaineering route than some of the Washington Pass climbs recommended in this thread. But dirty and unaesthetic? Matt, I've done it twice and found it to be a pleasant route. Perhaps it is ceaner than when you did it last (1958?); several people I've talked to said the route is cool (nice approach, great views, fairly sound rock and an awesome looking peak that towers over Hwy 20), although it is not too technically demanding. Earlier in the year (late June/early July), the approach passes through a brilliant carpet of glacier lilies. This climb IS worth doing, but certainly not the best rock route at the Pass (I'll agree with you on that, Matt). With three people who want a quality introduction to Washington climbing, without having to sit in line on one of the fine (but perhaps overhyped) rock climbs on Hwy 20, Cutthroat S. Buttress is a nice climb. You could get in line on one of the trade routes recommended above. Sure, you'll find clean rock, but with three people and the crowds you typically meet on those climbs......jeeesh.

Yes, I suppose. However, on my last two trips to the area, it seemed that every route mentioned by Nelson had at least three parties on it and I'm not exaggerating. There is quality climbing to be found up there beyond the Liberty Bell massif.

pope said:

With three people who want a quality introduction to Washington climbing, without having to sit in line on one of the fine (but perhaps overhyped) rock climbs on Hwy 20, Cutthroat S. Buttress is a nice climb. You could get in line on one of the trade routes recommended above. Sure, you'll find clean rock, but with three people and the crowds you typically meet on those climbs......jeeesh.

Unfortunately, Cutthroat is also in Nelson and therefore another victim of crowding. The Boe-Alps use it for teaching beginners as well.

Attitude said:

pope said:

With three people who want a quality introduction to Washington climbing, without having to sit in line on one of the fine (but perhaps overhyped) rock climbs on Hwy 20, Cutthroat S. Buttress is a nice climb. You could get in line on one of the trade routes recommended above. Sure, you'll find clean rock, but with three people and the crowds you typically meet on those climbs......jeeesh.

Unfortunately, Cutthroat is also in Nelson and therefore another victim of crowding. The Boe-Alps use it for teaching beginners as well.

Damn, damn, damn. That piece of shit made it into Nelson's guide? OK, officially this time, the South Buttress of Cutthroat is a terrible climb. Loose, dangerous, mossy, perennially damp, and haunted by the ghost of an old pederast miner. STAY AWAY FROM THIS CLIMB! pitty.gif

• 2 weeks later...

OK = some my pals arrive on Thursday and we have Friday to climb.

Squamish is out because it's too much of a drive for a day trip for these guys. Soon grasshopper . . .

Unsure if we'll have trad. gear available (depends on how packing goes I guess). They really want to get on rock . . . and aren't as thrilled about any long approaches (think Rumney) rolleyes.gif

So Part 2: If you had one day to SPORT climb on Friday - where would you go. Any must do routes up in Leavenworth?

worthy lTown sportO crags...

all @ dripwall

all @ rattlesnake rock

most @ castle rock (mostly trad....few sport-need gear too; except das musak)

puzzlepalace and other crags near there...

many others but more slabby then the rumney folk probably want to deal with, but the rock sure isn't as schistie.... bigdrink.gif

Szyjakowski said:

worthy lTown sportO crags...

all @ dripwall

all @ rattlesnake rock

most @ castle rock (mostly trad....few sport-need gear too; except das musak)

puzzlepalace and other crags near there...

many others but more slabby then the rumney folk probably want to deal with, but the rock sure isn't as schistie.... bigdrink.gif

Ben's suggestions are good but here's a few more... a copy of the new guide will help you as well.

*Duty Dome/ Off Duty area- half dozen or so bolted pitches in the 5.8+/ 5.10- range all of high quality. Must do's- Straight Street 5.9+ (pitch 1, 2nd needs a few pieces), Aquamarine 5.9+(requires a few pieces). Also close proximity to Fish Wall, Jazzy Document, Snaakes!, and Yard Art (some require a small rack)

* Clem's Holler- 10-12 bolted pitches ranging from 5.7-5.11. Must do's- Gun Rack 5.9 roof, Nettlesome 5.9+, Playin Possum 5.10- (pitch 3 is best), Perils of Pauline 5.11, Poultry in Motion 5.10.

From Clem's take trail left (west) to Retardant- Must do's- Red Tide 5.10-, Seven Sea's 5.7 (require's a few pieces), Continue up trail to Special Spot- Must do's- The Javelin 5.10- classic, Opening Ceremonies 5.9

From Clem's take the trail to the right (East) Nut House- Must do's- State of Dillusion 5.10- (requires small rack), Pistachio Pillar 5.10+ (not in guide), Chalk Treatment 5.10- (requires small rack), Committed 5.11+ (all gear but shares anchors with Chalk Treatment so it's a good TR may require a directional) continue up gully/trail to Puzzle Palace- Must do's- Perplexus 5.10, Cryptogram 5.9+.

*4th of July Rock- 5.9-5.11 Must do's- Beer and Loafing 5.10- (small rack), Facelift 5.10-, One of the finest "sport" routes in Leavenworth, Just the Facts w/ Diving Diamondbacks finish- 5.11-

*Pearly Gates-right side- Must do's-Veins of Glory 5.10-, Milky Way 5.9+, The Scene is Clean 5.8, The Dog Ate My Topo 5.7. Bring a rack and do Celestial Groove 5.9 One of the finest Leavenworth cracks!

If you only have quickdraws Clem's Holler is your best bet.

Hope this helps, good luck and have fun!

bigdrink.gif

Yeah - I was really hoping to do a trad/multi pitch or really check Squamish out. I've climbed at Conormorphine - and that is quite the approach. But at least I will still get on rocks!

They've climbed all over so can handle rock other than Rumney Granite - think they just got spoiled by the easy approaches there.

Thanks for all the beta for Leavenworth - I bought the new guidebook a few weeks ago, but your tips will help.

Stay tuned for an update cool.gif

Who knows - if we have enough trad. gear (I am just starting a rack) we may hit Index.

I don't know if I'm insulting the place by calling it sport climbing, but I had a great time at 3 O'clock Rock in Darrington. The routes we did (Til Broad Daylight and Under the Boardwalk) supposedly have gear placements here and there but we didn't use any - the bolts were enough. There are harder routes too. Tons of fun if you like slabby face climbing. Really pretty place with some alpine feel. Topo:

http://www.seanet.com/~mattp/Darr/arch.htm