GPS or Cell Phone?

Flying_Ned

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

that depends. sometimes i prefer the cell and sometimes the GPS. the cell works great for those "i'm going to be a little later than expected" calls home, but the GPS can be damn handy in bad conditions. I'll leave the GPS at home if summit day conditions and forcast are good, but take it and leave the phone if conditions are dubious. just my $.02

Pencil_Pusher said:

Take the cell phone, it does double duty thereby allowing you to skip bringing the GPS. You can call and ask for directions if you get lost.

Yeah, you can call the park rangers from the summit of Rainier and ask how to get down. yellaf.gif

cell phone...that damn GPS requires attention BEFORE I get lost. Taking points along the way... blah blah blah. At least w/my cell phone i can just make a panicked phone call.

...and that typing my will and sending it via e-mail, i hadn't thought of that added feature thumbs_up.gif

rolleyes.gif

iain said:

my cell phone has the game "Snake" on it that has consumed many hours of my time. my gps does not have this feature. therefore I vote for cell phone. seriously, "Snake" is a big part of my life

hahaha.gif

i gots me one of dem fancy samsung phones, i got full colored vids, space invaders and bowling, and tetris. a great way to pass time waiting for the choppers to pick you up.

I just got one of the gecko garmin gps recievers. thing is tiny and light, and is really easy to use. I always have my gps with me, never know when one will have the urge to geocache the_finger.gif

me thinks also that terrain/location determines wether a GPS will be usefull, on the west side of the slopes the density of the tree canopy makes gpsr worthless sometimes... suppose you could get above treeline to get reception, just another thought though. If you do take a gps, always mark where your rig is, that's helped me out once or twice.

iain said:

JoshK said:

Neither of the weather is good and I except easy navigation. GPS if I expect weather might turn or I'll need to do some navigation.

This is quite possibly the worst sentence in the history of the board yellaf.gif

I take pride in my ability to craft poorly worded sentences! Err...ok, I'll go back and clarify that. hahaha.gif

leejams said:

Now if the thread was started

Cell phone,GPS, or one of those mp3 things, I would go with the mp3 thing. Someone told me you can put like hours of tunes on that little disk. cantfocus.gif

Yep. I got the size of a small post it note. Works off one AAA battery for 10 hours of play time. thumbs_up.gif They claim it is the worlds smallest mp3 player...

http://store5.yimg.com/I/efendos_1745_18836100

thelawgoddess said:

ortovox almost put an mp3 player in last year's new transceiver. cantfocus.gif

HA, yer rocking out with yer cock out, and you don't hear the snow go WHUMP underfoot, yikes hellno3d.gif

mp3 player is key for slogs though, i take one that uses the same type of memory as my digi cam, that way if i need some more space i can sacrifice the tunes for picts or vice versa.