• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Rodchester said:

Map, compass, and brain working as a team. rockband.gif

Yah...what Rodchester said! It seems that the three things mentioned above served well for decades until the latest self-reliance-inhibiting toys became popular. And for thousands of years before us, the North American Indians effectively navigated the landscape on trails and cross-country by means of a wonderful knowledge of nature's signs (including good weather forecasting)....unfortunately, a nearly lost art.

I like to tell my students that when I was a kid (not that long ago), I recall a time when there were no personal computers, no internet, no CD's, no video games, no GameBoys, no microwave ovens, no VCR's and color TV was a big deal. And with my parents, there was no TV and the family radio was the big attraction.

HOW DID WE/THEY LIVE???????????

caveman.gif

Definitely the MP3 player over the cell or GPS. A good map, compass, altimeter and the brain to use them are much lighter and more useful than a GPS. Now if your in the middle of the desert or the ocean a GPS has loads of use.

The cell phone though can be usefull to tell the wife/girlfriend when your going to be a day or so late for those that may have loved ones that might freak out and call S&R when you don't really need it. Overall though, unnecessary weight...