Earthquake!

Fairweather

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Gee whiz! Another BIG NORTHWEST EARTHQUAKE!!! rolleyes.gif 3.4 or whatever!

Watch your favorite local TV station where people will call in with their very interesting stories like, "yup, I felt it out here in Spanaway" and then live coverage of a few shampoo bottles that fell off a shelf at Safeway.

You want earthquake? I had the misfortune of being in the last two huge ones in L.A. (1971 and1994) and that little rattle we had a couple of years ago in Seattle was a gentle shake in comparison. That last one in L.A. (the "Northridge quake") occurred in the dark of night and some of my students who were in tents felt the full jello effect at ground level. I went out to check on them and told them to watch out for the huge chasm that had opened up in front of their campsite...I was just jokin' with them but they were terrified. We went out climbing for a few days afterwards until we found out which freeways were destroyed and the other damage and then plotted our way back to the Northwest.

- Dwayner bigdrink.gifbigdrink.gif

Regardless of its magnitude it's still pretty cool when you notice a quake. I have the music going to loud in my house to notice a 3.4.

Dwayner, are you talking about the Landers earthquake that was in the Mojave desert in 1994?

Aha Northridge. M6.7. Blind Thrust in L.A. Basin. Not much bigger than our Nisqually earthquake, just shallower. When cascadia goes we all are doomed.

Edited by E-rock

Well, OK, maybe. But if you were in an old brick building that was falling apart in Sodo during the last quake (the 6.8er) I bet you might think differently. That shit seriously freaked me out. We had giant cracks in our walls, lost a few servers, and our buliding was red tagged (though after the landlord passed the inspectors some cash it was amazingly marked "all good")

We were working last night and a coworker felt that one.

bigdrink.gifbigdrink.gif

E-rock said:

Regardless of its magnitude it's still pretty cool when you notice a quake. I have the music going to loud in my house to notice a 3.4.

Dwayner, are you talking about the Landers earthquake that was in the Mojave desert in 1994?

Aha Northridge. M6.7. Blind Thrust in L.A. Basin. Not much bigger than our Nisqually earthquake, just shallower. When cascadia goes we all are doomed.

the landers quake was in 199TWO not 1994.

i went to the scarp, fuking cool!

I would expect such misquotes from a UW student.... evils3d.gifcantfocus.gifhahaha.gifbigdrink.gif