Dating, Marraige and Magazines

MtnHigh

Dating:

You go to the magazine stand and pick up a copy of Rock & Ice. You really enjoy it and the articles are interesting. Man, this is the best ever. thumbs_up.gif

A week later you go back to the magazine stand and see Rock & Ice again, but wait, there is Field & Stream, now that looks even more interesting. You buy the Field & Stream, take it home and enjoy it. thumbs_up.gif You forget about Rock & Ice.

Another week goes by and you are back at the magazine stand. Rock & Ice and Field & Stream are there again, but you look beyond them. thumbs_down.gif Been there, done that. Something else catches your eye, Car & Driver. You buy it. I love Car & Driver. What a great mag. thumbs_up.gif In a week you have read everything interesting in Car & Driver and are bored of it. It is time for something new.

Marriage:

You want another magazine, but you do not feel like returning to the magazine stand for yet another new magazine. Instead, you mail in a 9-month subscription to your all time favorite magazine, Rock & Ice. It will be so nice to have the magazine come directly to my house. It will be there everyday when I get home. No more hassles of going to the magazine stand all the time and I no longer have to pay full single issue prices. This is great. thumbs_up.gif

Six months go by and you are tired and bored with Rock & Ice. The articles are no longer interesting, the content and photos are always the same. It has been weeks since you last looked at an issue. You see the latest issue on the coffee table, but ignore it and find something else occupy your time. Rock & Ice has sent you a bill for another 9-month subscription. What! I am not paying for more of this. thumbs_down.gif

See ya later, I'm going climbing.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe I'm missing something, but is all this purusing of "magazines" some sort of hyperbole for dating and marriage? confused.gif

Magazine stand = Meat market dance club or somesuch location for meeting chikas

No subscription = Free to date anyone you please

Subscription = Marriage "contract" with intimate moments "delivered to your home", magazine (wife) is there every day, etc.

Advance payment = no end of the subscription (marriage) in sight

Is it really about the magazines...? Or a cry for help? wave.gif

So then we are using the magazine analogy to describe your current state of dating and/or marital bliss, which is what I thought all along.

It seems you may be contemplating "cancelling your subscription" then...?

MtnHigh said:

ChrisT said:

the metaphor was lost on me too tongue.gif

Is this simple metaphor too complicated???

What about the folks who subscribe to Penthouse, Hustler and Playboy for years and years and years...displaying them in their bathrooms...most men never seem to get tired of those... they keep opening them up again and again.

Also the lifelong subscribers to TV Guide. Every week, true and faithful, it's there on the coffee table. Have even heard of couples who've been National Geo subscribers for over 50 years!

Honestly Pete, I think you're just choosing the wrong magazines.

catbirdseat said:

MtnHigh, you should give credit where credit is due. Your inspiration came from Tom Lykis' discussion on the radio last night. Good job at thematic development, though. thumbs_up.gif

My plagiaristic ways been exposed. I laughed my head off when I heard Lykis say it, so I had to share it with a new audience.

How about a different end to the metaphor... Instead of looking for a discount/laziness and getting a subscription, why not step up to the plate, spend a few more bucks and get a guidebook? More interactive, and like any relationship, you only get out of it what you put into it. Besides, that way you get out climbing, and stop sitting around looking at the superficial stuff you can't do anyways.

So, would borrowing friend's magazines be a metaphor for 'swapping' then?

Glen