leavenworth 5.7-8 recommendations?

gregm

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dru said:

actually though, what about Tree Route plus Upper 8 Mile Buttress.

I was going to say the Tree Route, but thought that at 5.6 it didn't fit the criteria. What do the upper pitches go at? We did the Tree Route last weekend and thought it was a pretty fun, good beginners climb, but not really worth the two stars in the guidebook.

Sheeit, if we're dropping the grade to 5.6, I'd put in a vote for R&D. Mellow, multi-pitch, and a fun final pitch or two. Presented te wife with her engagement ring at the top of the rap off the side. She almost went over the edge. shocked.gif Total surprise!

Buffy sez:

"When we were packing up to leave some older guy showed up and free soloed the whole thing."

That is twice in one week on this BB someone has called me old......boxing_smiley.gif

Fred is OLD! Hell, even Yoder and Nelson are

old....I am not old hellno3d.gif. Hair color has nothing to do with age. Even red heads turn grey at some point.

Now the real real question is how does Cocaine Crack turn into a 5.7?

Not off the road, but Fault, Catapult, Winter Solstice is a combination that is one of my favorites also.

Stack on that South Ramp at Midnight or the Flame & Roller Coaster Chimney combo and you have a couple of hours and just a bit more than 5.8.

Edited by Dane

Ditto Givler's. One of my favorites in the Icicle. Go early.

Bathtub Dome is also a great place to spend a day- from 1st to 3rd tier is awesome. I did all the bolted routes (thought the lower was maybe 5.7 and the upper 5.9) and the 5.7 chimney on the 2nd tier, then "Just Ducky" on the third tier with TimL. Just Ducky is a full ropelength of 5.8+ with some route finding challenges (shit, I followed, what do I know?). Bring lots of small to mid-sized TCUS for that route (up to .75"), double slings and 2 ropes to rap. Up and to the right of that, Condor Buttress will go at 5.8 if you yard on the closely spaced bolts at the 2 or 3 cruxes.

There are also some good 2 pitch routes at the Pearly Gates that go at or around 5.8. Both slab and crack. Climbing up to 5.7 will allow you to TR a lot of stuff there too. Do a search here or check Smoot's site and you can find info about that crag.

Cocaine Connection on Icicle Buttress is a way fun 5.7, but does not meet the "off the road" criteria. Go do the three pitches on BOB Wall that are 5.8 or less and you've made a day of it.

Planet of the 8's is also a good spot- although I have only done 2 of the three routes there (the rightmost route seemed "stiff" for a 5.8+, but that was also my second season of climbing).

thank you all for your kind suggestions and offers. we did givlers and loved it, followed by some roadside flailing.

it's always fun to get on rock after you've been doing way too much skiing. isn't it sad how skiing can get in the way of climbing...

so my next question; has anyone ever skied the obvious gully directly across from givlers dome? it looks like it would be a sweet line if you had enough coverage lower down.

YAASS,

greg

bigdrink.gif

Dane said:

Buffy sez:

"When we were packing up to leave some older guy showed up and free soloed the whole thing."

That is twice in one week on this BB someone has called me old......boxing_smiley.gif

Fred is OLD! Hell, even Yoder and Nelson are

old....I am not old hellno3d.gif. Hair color has nothing to do with age. Even red heads turn grey at some point.

Now the real real question is how does Cocaine Crack turn into a 5.7?

Not off the road, but Fault, Catapult, Winter Solstice is a combination that is one of my favorites also.

Stack on that South Ramp at Midnight or the Flame & Roller Coaster Chimney combo and you have a couple of hours and just a bit more than 5.8.

Ummm thats MUFFY wink.gif and I didn't say you were older tongue.gif Just older than me grin.gif

NICE CLIMBING oldtimer cool.gifevils3d.gifwink.gif

gregm said:

so my next question; has anyone ever skied the obvious gully directly across from givlers dome? it looks like it would be a sweet line if you had enough coverage lower down.

Greg, were you looking at Cannon Mountain Couloir? I am guessing you were; if so, its skied very regularly.

"I didn't say you were old, just older than me"

OK. rolleyes.gif I give this time.

Hell, at my age I am just happy to wake up every morning. fruit.gif

I'm off to Leavenworth this morning...anyone else?

Edited by Dane

Blight said:

actually, you can't see the CMC until you are by bridge cr. campground. you are probably refering to the hook creek drainage that takes you up to the mole and the duolith. it is directly across the valley from givler's.

yes, it must have been hook creek, it definitely wasn't CMC, that's around the corner. i'm sure hook has been skied at some point, i'm just wondering if it's a good winter tour.

gregm said:

Blight said:

actually, you can't see the CMC until you are by bridge cr. campground. you are probably refering to the hook creek drainage that takes you up to the mole and the duolith. it is directly across the valley from givler's.

yes, it must have been hook creek, it definitely wasn't CMC, that's around the corner. i'm sure hook has been skied at some point, i'm just wondering if it's a good winter tour.

call Rob Harris: he lives there and skis all the time.