Duffles, what do you like?

DPS

I'm looking for a big duffel bag. The North Face has some nice looking ones with shoulder straps but the 9,000 cu in model seems a bit small for its advertised size (and price). Anybody have a bag they can recommend? Army/Navy surplus duffle worth getting?

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

dps i have the medium and large tnf duffles i like them. i have had both for several years. i think my large one south of th equator right now.

they are spendy but i remember recently seeing them on sale somewhere. maybe sierra tradingpost.

lots of handles to hold on too. strong material and they can be locked(if that means anything on a vinyl bag)

i would think the handles would make for good lashing points. i have another homemade extra large duffle with no handles and i think it is annoying to carry and shit...

If you want a really huge heavy duty duffle, you may want to checkout the Patagonia Black Hole II. You can smuggle a small family inside it. The TNF duffles are nice, but I'd avoid them just because the Gaint TNF logos on every corner make it easy for theives to identify the bags with the "good stuff" in them. I work at the airport and can identify these bags coming off the planes from 50 ft away. I'd ship / carry your goodies in something more discrete. If you don't require the heavier tarp material, MEC duffles are inexpensive and well made. Another inexpensive choice is the good old army duffle bag. They are super durable, but you have to dump everything out to get to something at the bottom. Just my .02

Disregard all previous posts. Go straight to Fish products. fish products

I bought one of their duffles and its been to Alaska twice and a trip to Ecuador as well as all over the NW. I got to choose the colors as well so it would match my spandex. Good price, durable materials and if something goes wrong Russ will make it right. I talked a friend into buying one too and he loves his as well.

Hope this helps.

Edited by rbw1966

DPS - What are you planning to do with your duffle? I have had great success with the Eagle Creek duffles. No logos and also lockable, made of cordura. They have survived trips on mules, yaks and such. Downside is they are not waterproof.

My NF duffle did not survive 3 days riding strapped to a mule - coating wore off and the thing had several holes in it. A few years ago, they apparently changed from using cordura to save money and just coat heavy weave nylon with the waterproofing plastic. Then they balked at repairing it. My take is that make a nice disposable duffle. Built to survive one trip.

Patagonia Blackhole bags rock. I have two and have been very happy with them, overseas third world travel as well as stateside. Very durable and simple.

Be careful on getting one that is too big. Airlines are now enforcing rules about weight and size. You may want to call around to the airlines to see what restrictions are being enforced.

Good luck. bigdrink.gif

Are you referring to the Sufi porter hauling with his pee-pee? I couldn't determine if that was supposed to be an advertisement for the bag or the strength of said penis. Note the elongation factor. I wonder if its been tested over an edge and how many falls it can handle.

just another plug for fish duffles. they rock. they are cheap (like a third the price of the patagoinia bag). they are just the right size - huge, but managable. i have used them for numerous expeditions, as sleds, on horses, etc. everyone who i have been on big trips with has gone out and bought themselves a fish duffle when they got back. you would be foolish to even think about buying any other expedition duffle.

Are you referring to the Sufi porter hauling with his pee-pee? I couldn't determine if that was supposed to be an advertisement for the bag or the strength of said penis. Note the elongation factor. I wonder if its been tested over an edge and how many falls it can handle.

I've seen that dude on TV. He can also role up his package with a stick and then unroll it over and over again to stretch it. When not hanging anything, it is pretty long (stretched out) and completely flat! I got sick just watching it. HCL.gif

You might check out this place in montana. They cater more to the hunter/fisherman type but they make some expedition bags. My dad bought me one of their expedition bags and it looks indestructible. I have not had a chance to use it and abuse it yet. They are expensive, but it is very well built, compared to the tnf bag I have. You could probably get it custom made if you asked.

redoxx bags

For trips where the bag might end up on the top of a truck - or a pack animal - Wild Things Mule Bags. My pair of these are 12 and 19 years old respectively. Both have flown somewhere every year of their lives, both have been dragged through parking lots, strapped on mules or llamas, lashed to the top of buses, etc. One served as a flexible Rocket Box for several ice climbing trips, strapped to the Yakima rack on my car. Tough duffels.

That said, I've become a big fan of those wheeled Eagle Creek (and others, but mine are Eagle Creek) duffles. The one we have is massive, yet the wheels and rigid undercarriage make it a breeze to roll across parking lots, through airports, etc. I note that the wheels and undercarriage take up some of your precious weight allotment, something the airlines are getting more picky about. If you decide to go wheeled, get one with the collapsible rigid handle - much easier to tow than the ones without that feature.