Snow Caves on Mount Rainier

flatland

Is digging snow caves on Liberty Ridge and Ptarmagin Ridge a feasable idea. I have used tents in the past on Rainier, but after using several snow caves on recent winter climbs wonder if this might not be a bad idea. Caves are so warm, quiet and comfortable. Plus the bivies weigh alot less.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also, depending on your comfort level, you may decide to bet on a weather window in june. I've slept out in just a sleeping bag (no bivy, no tent) on rainer in August. If you get the weather, it's no problem. Now granted, I wouldn't do that without a damn good forecast or a backup plan.

I wouldn't rely on being able to punch through possible layers of ice and hard snow to create a snow cave on the lower/middle slopes of Liberty Ridge. Unless you've heard of a reliable report that the snow is easy to dig in (not likely), digging snow caves tend to be a pain in the *ss. Digging ledges and and creating snow walls or even small/partial igloos can be much easier and very sufficient.

A few years back, a buddy of mine and I got a good weather window and took the bare minimum up Liberty Ridge (no tent, day packs, etc.) and ended up digging ledges and using bivy sacks. The walls we created from the excavated snow worked well to keep out most of the wind.

I can understand your desire to carry the lightest load possible and I'm guessing that you are trying to avoid carrying a tent, BUT last year the top 2,000 ft of Rainier was hard ice causing many accidents and deaths due to teams slipping and failing to self-arrest. To rely on being able to dig snow caves on your desired route would be quite a chance and not one I would take.Although the DC is a hump, tourist route etc, it's a very serious mountainwhen the weather comes in. Don't do it. You can rent a bibler tent from Backpacker's Supply in Tacoma if that's the issue. smile.gif

rbw1966 said:

flatland said:

Is there anyone out there who has actually used a snow cave on Mount Rainier for other than emergency situation (in June)? bigdrink.gif

Yes. At Camp Muir. They said it sucked and would never do it again.

That's prolly the LAST place I 'd dig a snow cave. Imagine digging through months and years of layered waste...... makes me shudder just to think about it.....

specialed said:

The energy you save by going lighter by ditching the tent will more than be made up erecting a temporary dwelling of ice and snow. If you want to go light and hardcore, bring a bivy sack and hope it doesn't snow hard. And if it does, go down.

The exertion of summit day on Ptarmagin must be the crux, and since it is a carry over likely hood of success would be greater with out the extra weight . . . Any one have a Bibler for sale?

flatland said:

specialed said:

The energy you save by going lighter by ditching the tent will more than be made up erecting a temporary dwelling of ice and snow. If you want to go light and hardcore, bring a bivy sack and hope it doesn't snow hard. And if it does, go down.

The exertion of summit day on Ptarmagin must be the crux, and since it is a carry over likely hood of success would be greater with out the extra weight . . . Any one have a Bibler for sale?

Rent it dude,Backpackers Supply in Tacoma or Marmot Mountain Works in Redmond rent them. I think about $40 a day. bigdrink.gif