Best Climber Jobs

texplorer

Friends, Sprayers, Climbers,

Lend me your ears. What would be the best job to have as a climber in the Northwest? Soon I'll be jobless and looking so I thought I would ask the masters what they think here. Keep in mind the major needs of a climber: aquisition of gear, ease of procurement of spirits(aka beer), funds for the road trip and international travel, time off for excursions, and of course proximity and attractiveness to women.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is the easiest question ever: You're in the northwest, it's late October,....Herb salesman. 1. Ready made client base at any climbing area2. Completely flexible schedule3. Easy access to quality and quantity merchandise in Oregon/Northern CA4. Mad profit margin5. Social attractor

Oh, then there's that whole legality issue, get the IT folks to write you a work-around and we'll work on getting a policy shift into effect.

Speaking of International Men of Mystery - What is Conrad Anker doing in the newest Koflach ad?

My guess is he just woke up from his alcohol induced slumber and has the hangover goofies. That picture was probably snapped right before he crashed again to sleep it off. [big Drink]

Herb sales man, eh? Could be doing some indoors climbing to avoid the backdoor boys, especially in the showers.

Teaching was the other suggestion. Make sure its subbing & not full or part time(especially part time as the school still thinks in terms of FT) Subbing is the best; hours & days are your's to choose, & I haven't met a single female teacher that doesn't like to drink. In fact most like to party hardy. Only real draw back is colds, flu etc. spread by students. grin.gif" border="0

I've been working as a tree guy for years. Don't expect to climb trees right off. Expect to drag and chip a lot of brush when you start. If you can handle that you may get to climb trees. Your climbing experience is a big plus, but you need to learn how to prune trees and eventually how to kill trees. (if you're squeamish about killing forget it)

Also since jobs are almost always bid you need to do some nutty things while trying to be safe. If you are real conservative about safety forget it.Close only counts in horse shoes and hand grenades grin.gif" border="0

[ 11-04-2001: Message edited by: AlpineK ]

Tower painting + maintenence pays good money. It was my first job here in seattle. The exposure is sweet, and it's primarily seasonal work so you get lots of time off. It's usually safe as long as you are allways clipped in. The cold wet wind on towers in the PNW is great for hardening the senses! grin.gif" border="0

[ 11-04-2001: Message edited by: lambone ]

hmmm, I think maybe a personal trainer at a fancy health club that has a climbing wall or, a student. You can make money at being a student for a long time if you figure it out. There is no better place to meet women that college (except a strip club) AND you can skip class when the powder falls or whatever.

Hey Zeno [Wazzup] ,

The fancy health club life here is nice but you actually have to go to work. You seem to have been posting a little more frequently lately. I guess the student thing isn't so bad as long as it's not law school. I am currently on the hunt for a new climber-babe now so maybe the student thing isn't a bad idea.

Window cleaning is a pretty cool climber job. You get to rappel from big buildings and deal with all kinds of weather. When you get some experience you can subcontract and have a lot of flexibility with your schedule. November is not the best time to get a job in this field, but you never know. Oh ya, like tree climbing you have to start out doing ground work for a while before you get to work up high. Good Luck!

Best climber job = mattress tester

Pros:1. paid to sleep in a different bed every night 2. Some nights you sleep alone, some nights you don’t3. Days are free to climb

Cons1. doesn’t pay very well2. work at night3. one must have complete dedication to the job, often spending 12 to 16 hours in bed rolleyes.gif" border="0

quote:

Originally posted by Matt:
Best climber job = mattress tester

Pros:1. paid to sleep in a different bed every night 2. Some nights you sleep alone, some nights you don’t3. Days are free to climb

Cons1. doesn’t pay very well2. work at night3. one must have complete dedication to the job, often spending 12 to 16 hours in bed
rolleyes.gif" border="0

Can't stain the mattress either!!!! tongue.gif" border="0