Remembering CC.commers we have lost

olyclimber

• olyclimber changed the title to Remembering CC.commers we have lost

I went up Lewis shortly after Franklin broke through the cornice and saw his tracks.

What ever happened to Chuck?  I never got the details and have long wondered.  Seems like it could have been me.

Same with most of these guys.  I guess it still might be me one of these days.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 1/16/2024 at 5:18 PM, CascadeClimber said:

My friend and partner Mizuki Takahashi. Can't remember her avatar here. Died on Denali with her partner in a fall. We were supposed to try for Liberty Ridge again when she got back. Must be ten years at least now. I still haven't tried LR again. 

I think her Avatar was "pochi"?  I really loved her TRs especially the one where she solo'd Fuhrer Finger (IIRC that was the Rainier Route she solo'd)

I remember that trip with Jason and Mizuki well. Funny story; we were descending down the NE shoulder, picking our way down along rocks and snowfields. At once point we hit a snowfield that rolled off steeply and across a narrow snow bridge that looked a bit sketchy. We put Mizuki (the lightest of us) on belay and sent her down first. As she’s going over the snow bridge she’s saying “It’s very narrow, it’s very narrow.” 
Of course we thought “yeah, we know; just do it.” I think it was my turn to go over next , and as I’m cramponing down this snow bridge I realize “Oh, she meant it’s THIN.” As in about 3” thick and maybe 18-20” wide. And if it busted, you’d do a wicked pendulum fall into this big overhanging snow cavern and get bashed up. Yeah, “Jason, tread lightly on your way down!!!” 

• LMAO 1

27 minutes ago, Phil K said:

Yeah, “Jason, tread lightly on your way down!!!” 

Indeed.  It was vibrating pretty noticeably as I carefully kicked my way down.  Hard to see in the photo, but it was both quite thin and quite narrow.  She was tough!

• 2 months later...

Been a while since I have been on here but just learned that Steve Carper, founder of Terminal Gravity, passed away a few days ago from cancer. Steve was always bringing beer to our gatherings back in the day, always willing to show you around the Wallowas when chasing obscure ice lines and just an overall fun and friendly guy. RIP Steve.

8 hours ago, ryland_moore said:

Been a while since I have been on here but just learned that Steve Carper, founder of Terminal Gravity, passed away a few days ago from cancer. Steve was always bringing beer to our gatherings back in the day, always willing to show you around the Wallowas when chasing obscure ice lines and just an overall fun and friendly guy. RIP Steve.

Damn. Steve was so nice . Got me two kegs for the first Rooeup I did, the one up at Chatter Creek. Then for all them after too.  That is sad news.