Snow shovel recommendations

To_The_Top

Looking for a good heavy duty light weight shovel. I have a plastic one which does ok around here, but looking for a durable shovel, for heavy use, like on a gaper expedition up north.

I have looked at several but interested in what other people like as opposed to what salespeople recommend sometimes.

TTT

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Get the Voile aluminum shovel, either with the extendable handle or the one with a snow saw inside the handle. I've used em and they work well. Even in icy summer snow, you can chop well. Also, they can be used as a stove stand, a deadman, etc, etc. The BD shovels also look good.

I've used the Voile's for years, but I think that others have surpassed them in design. Theoretically, anyway, I haven't used any of the new ones (G3 or SOS, or BCA) Broke one blade, lost one handle... The G3 looks like it might be tougher, but I haven't had the chance to abuse one yet. smile.gif

All avy shovels are a compromise. Light = not strong. Maybe a small hardware store shovel? If you really want something tough that is?

edit: added stuff.

Edited by snoboy

If I were buying a shovel I'd pick up one of the models that BCA manufactures. I'd get the Companion or Tour models for use around here, maybe the Chugach model for heavy use.

Reasons:

-Includes probe that you can stash in the handle.

-Oval shaped tube for more strength.

-Higher grade aluminum in the blade than found in most shovels for a better stregth-to-weight ratio.

-Burlier shaft-shovel interface that's less likely to break.

shovelcompanion.gif

shovelchugachpro.gif

I'd get and have a metal blade shovel with extendable shaft and D grip. T grip is silly and uncomfortable for moving large amounts of snow.

Anything short shafted is going to make the digging less efficient. The extra weight is nothing to me and I like lightweight stuff.

If it comes with a probe great. bigdrink.gif

I have a full length sold seperately probe made by life link. It's bomber.

Not sure about the flimsy stuff you mentioned but was suspect about their strength by just an on sight store evaluation. You are probably right though bigdrink.gif

Where's the uni mog bro? I need that thing to get into the Picket Range this summer cantfocus.gif

It's in RossVegas with me.

How far (hrs) is Pickets from Squampton?

I think the probes would be maybe OK for one rescue, but not for daily use, cornice poking, pit checking snow depth checking, rescue practice, all that stuff.

I haven't tried one out yet either, but am dubious about their ability to get down through debris, especially coastal!

Just kidding about uni mog in pickets. But Picket range drive to parking is about 4 hours from Squampton.

Trask yeah I still have that thing. Now take my mug off the internet before everyone sees it. Geek_em8.gif

Does anyone really have thoughts on those probes sold with shovels? Are they as weak as they look and feel for field use?

I think the folks at BCA had the limited use scenario in mind for the companion probe. Their thinking was that folks would be more likely to carry a light, 6' model that fits in a handle than the burlier models. I think they also took a look at the rescue stats and found that pretty much anyone buried more than 6 feet deep is a goner in a companion rescue scenario....

I have a voile shovel and one of the burly probes myself, but if I had to do it over again I'd get the BCA combo.

I think the folks at BCA had the limited use scenario in mind for the companion probe. Their thinking was that folks would be more likely to carry a light, 6' model that fits in a handle than the burlier models. I think they also took a look at the rescue stats and found that pretty much anyone buried more than 6 feet deep is a goner in a companion rescue scenario....

Maybe so about the 6 foot goner theory. I have used mine a few times already in training and looking for gear. I'll stand with my thoughts on the probe I have ( hehe hehe cool.gif probe cool.gif ) as being the best buy for use. I am sure the ones sold with BCA will work too. I just like to buy gear once if I can.

I have the biggest baddest probe. All the ladies love it hahaha.gif

I'm with Snoboy on the probe. they tend to be light duty and short... better to have a real probe.

As far as two-fers, I do like the compact saw blade in the handle concept... especially BD's which you can use the shaft as a long extension. With it, you can dig a real Rutschblock in five minutes (or a tap test in about two.) That makes it more likely that you'll actually do some shear strength testing rather than lesser tests that are less relevant.

The one thing I didn't like about the Voile saw is it's attached to the handle (i.e. not so good for using the shovel shaft as an extension.)

Does anybody have the SOS shovel with a saw? do you like it? Is the saw blade any stiffer than the BD?

I think they also took a look at the rescue stats and found that pretty much anyone buried more than 6 feet deep is a goner in a companion rescue scenario....

I'd be willing to bet the assistant guide at SME last week that was buried under 10 feet of snow and was revived, was glad his companies didn't write him off because he "was statistically a goner". ooo.gif

No one likes to spend extra cash or carry additional weight, but I think the safety/rescue gear you carry makes a statement in itself. For myself, I've always justified carrying a lexan shovel as being good enough. I've dismissed comments from others saying they won't cut through heavy avalanche debrie. But after reading the detailed accts of the SME accident and people saying they were next to useless, I went out yesterday and bought a metal one. BD Tele Lynx fit nicely in the shovel pocket of my pack. My regular partner was certainly pleased.

I'd be willing to bet the assistant guide at SME last week that was buried under 10 feet of snow and was revived, was glad his companies didn't write him off because he "was statistically a goner".

No one's going to decide not to try to rescue their partner because they think that they're buried too deep - "Well, shit - the beacon shows that he's at least 12 feet under, let's hit the bar..."- but the rescue stats show that the likelihood that you'll succeed in your efforts to locate and dig out a victim in time if they're buried more than six feet deep in a true companion rescue scenario (one, maybe two people involved in the rescue as opposed to however many people were involved in the Revelstoke recovery) are still pretty slim.

Anyway - I agree that a full size probe is better, but any probe is better than no probe - which is the problem that the folks at BCA are trying to solve by incorporating the probe/shovel into a single unit.

I have a voile with a metal blade an it is awesome. A longer handle would be nice for digging platforms, etc, but certainly works well enough to keep me happy. Works well as a stove holder in the snow too.

Has anyone tried jury rigging their regular probe into the handle on an existing shovel? If possible, that would solve a few problems at once.

Glen

I have two shovels both made by BDEL. One is a smaller touring shovel that is discontinued. Metal blade, pretty light and my ice axe fits the blade of the shovel so I dont have to take the handle when mountaineering. The blade also functions as a deadman. I wish BDEL had not discontinued this shovel.

The other shovel is a telescoping bobcat I take with me on longer trips. That baby is sturdy and moves some snow.