TH Theft

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Almost every time Ive been to the little si trailhead, there has been broken glass in the parking lot. A few weeks ago I arrived at 12 noon, packed lot, decent weather. I returned to the parking lot around 1:30 (just went for a hike) to find the car next to mine had lost its back window and shit stolen. In the middle of the frickin day! Definetly dont leave anything in your car at little si. Seems to be a daily occurance there.

Almost every time Ive been to the little si trailhead, there has been broken glass in the parking lot. A few weeks ago I arrived at 12 noon, packed lot, decent weather. I returned to the parking lot around 1:30 (just went for a hike) to find the car next to mine had lost its back window and shit stolen. In the middle of the frickin day! Definetly dont leave anything in your car at little si. Seems to be a daily occurance there.

I did a sunset hike of old si last Wed and saw glass at that lot. I was a bit worried descending at dark.

don't know if metheads are smart enough to try the door handle first :)

seriously, the best approach is to drive a shitty car w/ a trunk to put yer shit in - that still didn't keep tweakers from sawing through my gas tank for reasons unclear to me though :P

don't know if metheads are smart enough to try the door handle first :)

seriously, the best approach is to drive a shitty car w/ a trunk to put yer shit in - that still didn't keep tweakers from sawing through my gas tank for reasons unclear to me though :P

So true...I left my door unlocked and the idiots smashed the window anyway.

nwhikers and pdxhikers has gone into the doing a 'sting' angle when this debate comes up there. most tend to feel they'd rather not get involved with the individuals doing these crimes and are just more wishful for LEO presence at lots and people not leaving anything of value in vehicles.

perhaps a flying crampon kick to the back and word about the person in all black with a balaclava and bug-eyed glacier glasses could help?

I have to admit, I did that once around midnight at exit 38. It was about 3 years ago. Jacked my car up, and put a block under it. Waited for 3 hours or so in the trees. Nobody came- probably a good thing (for myself and them). This was 2 days after my truck had been broken into there, and I was furious. I would not do it again. Maybe if police were involved.

I have to admit, I did that once around midnight at exit 38. It was about 3 years ago. Jacked my car up, and put a block under it. Waited for 3 hours or so in the trees. Nobody came- probably a good thing (for myself and them). This was 2 days after my truck had been broken into there, and I was furious. I would not do it again. Maybe if police were involved.

Looking for a fight with a meth head is a terrible idea; you will definitely lose!

Looking for a fight with a meth head is a terrible idea; you will definitely lose!

Anyone hard up enough to break into cars to finance their next fix is someone you probably don't want to run into. There was an incident a couple of years ago at the parking lot for a natural hot springs. A young couple caught a car prowler in the act and they ended up on the losing end. While climbers are generally fit, strong folks armed with ice axes, we are decent people who don't want to hurt anyone. Criminals don't have that hangup.

I heard an officer here in Mount Vernon say that >80% of all property crime in town is METH related. That amazed me that one drug could be responsible for so much of the theft. The few meth heads I have run into while out on the river or in the woods I would want no part in fighting- they don't seem human. I don't envy the police.

Using a sharp metal pointy thing to confront a meth head is a bad idea however I'm sure even a jacked up tweaker couldn't keep fighting after a shot or two of bear spray to the face. Wouldn't kill them but they'll wish they were dead. Should keep them busy long enough for a couple of people to pounce on 'em and zip tie their arms until the cops get there.

On a six day traverse we left the beat-up looking mobile at the Elfin Lakes TH. The place has a reputation for break ins. We did hide beer away from the vehicle, everything else went into the second vehicle, doors were left unlocked, and the owner wrote a note saying, "Nothing of Value in the Vehicle."

The vehicle we did leave stuff in was parked where we knew there was a chance of a security guard or cop driving by.

In the end no damage or theft for either vehicle and we found all the stashed beer :tup: