Spring's a-comin'!

Dr_Flash_Amazing

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

whoa. the board is actually rendered speechless.

I'm not in favor of this new development - just imagine how boring it could be around here if DFA became a trad climber....

DFA: "hey, do you guys prefer camalots or friends for flaring off-widths"

Cap'n Caveman: "dude, for serious off-widths there's nothing like a #5 camalot, let me know if you need to borrow mine."

DFA: "gee, thanks, cavey. See you at pub club!"

LEAVE SMITH?!! PREPOSTEROUS!

And you have surmised or inferred correctly; Dr. Flash Amazing is no trad virgin. But it's been many moons since DFA sunk his nuts in a nice slot (jeez, no wonder you trad monkeys are all pervs), and there's no time like the now to polish up them skillz. Of course, it doesn't hurt that the Doctor will have full use of a friend's rack while said friend is off gallivanting about Europe for a few months.

Project: Karate Crack, perhaps, after a bit of time on the single-digit cruisers to remember how a cam works? But the real project will be teaching Mrs. DFA to trust and place gear, and maybe do some casual multi-pitch stuff.

there is a nice EASY multi on koala rock that jk and I did last summer. Don't know how casual you were looking for, but I had a lot of fun with that climb and might lead it this year.

I love climbing cracks, I just have a hard time trusting the gear, and trusting myself to place it well.

Are you referring to Thin Air muffy? Thats a 5.9 and a lot of fun. The easier multi-pitch route on Koala (name escapes me) is about a 5.4 and as I remember it, a clip up.

My memory is failing me in my old age though.

Other nice trad climbs at Smith are the super-classic Spiderman and Zebra Zion (AWESOME climb!!).

Don't forget Beacon for some nice opportunities to sink your nuts.

Yeah, it was Round River. The first pitch is all bolted, the 2nd pitch is mostly trad, and the last pitch is trad (but there are only 2 or 3 opportunities for gear placement). It was easy, but really fun, and you only need one rope to get down. A great beginner's multi-pitch route; potentially dangerous for DFA, as it might put him to sleep!