Changing Gun Laws

Fairweather

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know! I hear Western Europe these days is basically North Korea. How am I ever going to protect myself against federal troops if the government takes away my little pea-shooter? I bet I can shoot right through the little window the driver in the tank is looking out of.

Why do you care about guns? Don't be a political mindfuck. Care that it's possible that possession of pieces of a plant can be illegal, even a "felony," in this country. Care that wealth and privilege determine health and guilt or innocence in this country. Care that we have more people incarcerated than any other country on earth- by numbers or by capita. Care that every 4th amendment SCOTUS case brings us closer and closer to 1914 (Weeks v. US). Care that he who spends the most wins elections, 9 times out of 10, and that what few contribution caps we have are barely enforced if at all. Care that black Americans make up less than 6% of the population of out country, but over 40% of our prisoners. Care that you can be stopped and detained and made to prove your citizenship status at roadblock checkpoints hundreds of miles inside our borders. Care that Obama has deported 400,000 people every year that he's been in office- but hasn't made one step toward reform. Care that American citizens can be, and are being, detained by their government indefinitely and without charge, and that our government has declared it can preemptively kill American citizens if it deems them threats.... using its own criteria. Care that there are people serving life sentences for stealing hamburgers. Care that poor minorities are being concentrated in the imploded economic voids of major urban areas, where they're offered free abortions, free carcinogens, but absolutely no opportunities to better themselves.

Care that you've been mindfucked to believe empowered citizens are a thing to be feared.

Don't ever show me statistics on gun crime unless you're going to put up statistics on motor vehicle crashes and figures demonstrating the health/obesity epidemic in this country. If it's about volume of deaths, we've got a lot of shit to talk about before guns even get on the agenda.

Repealing the Second Amendment is a legal avenue we possess. That's gonna be a hard one to choke down for 3/4ths of the states- most of which have radically liberalized their own gun laws in the last 20 years, as is clearly suggested by the OP.

Not gonna get another shot at that for a couple generations, I'd imagine.... the next turn of the great revolving door of collective thought. Right now, everyone loves guns. We're getting concealed carry permits and AR15s and stockpiling tens of thousands of rounds of ammunition for fun, people. "Assault weapons" are mainstream, now. Might as well try to ban fast cars and big boobs.

China executes about 5000 people a year as compared to our 70 to 100. On a per capita basis, they execute about 15 times more people per year than we do. The vast majority of US executions occur in only 5 states, so its kind of spotty.

Conversely, the US has 7 times more people in prison per capita than China. The US criminal justice system also discriminates against Africa Americans on a 3:1 basis as compared to whites. The measure doesn't matter much - arrest rates, conviction rates, denial of bail rates, longer sentencing - they're all about 3:1. I'm not aware of any similar racial discrimination in the Chinese criminal justice system, but that doesn't mean they don't also have a similar issue.

Which country is the larger human rights violator with regards to its criminal justice system is a discussion that quickly becomes complicated when the actual data comes into play.

It's a parlour discussion at best anyway - we should seek to improve our criminal justice system regardless of what the Chinese or anyone else does.

Edited by tvashtarkatena

i've always been surrounded by pistol-packing fools, family n' friends, so long ago learned to accept it w/ a smile and move along - its not an issue i get excited about - i just try to avoid movie theaters, bars, churches, schools, sidewalks, sporting events, airports, parking lots, battlefields, hospitals, the woods, concerts, campgrounds, my home, the kinda places folks typically get shot, ya know? this strategy has thus far been 100% successful for me and i'm content to have it continue as national policy :)

Regarding guns, the gun industry, as represented by the NRA, has been very busy putting out some effective messaging for parroting in their efforts to stem a long term decline in gun sales and interest in blood sports in general. Hunting is a dying sport, plain and simple. Culturally, it just doesn't resonate with the younger crowd.

After all, Dad's always full of shit, but bagger-infused-Dad-who-rants-about-how-his-peashooter-collection-is-going-to-save-freedom-or-puffs-up-his-chest-because-he-shot-a-defenseless-coyote is container ship level full of shit. Kids these days are smarter than their parents so their call regarding gun fetishists and their BS is easier than ever to make.

Edited by tvashtarkatena

hunting's not dead yet there, pat, 'specially since, once we establish our united anti-jesus-libturd-holocaust-home-coming-dream state here in 'merica the Spawn of Koch will be reduced to trapping squirrels out in the yard of the gulag in order to supplement the bland bowl of healthy granola they'll be served up every day :)

Regarding guns, the gun industry, as represented by the NRA, has been very busy putting out some effective messaging for parroting in their efforts to stem a long term decline in gun sales and interest in blood sports in general. Hunting is a dying sport, plain and simple. Culturally, it just doesn't resonate with the younger crowd.

After all, Dad's always full of shit, but bagger-infused-Dad-who-rants-about-how-his-peashooter-collection-is-going-to-save-freedom-or-puffs-up-his-chest-because-he-shot-a-defenseless-coyote is container ship level full of shit. Kids these days are smarter than their parents so their call regarding gun fetishists and their BS is easier than ever to make.

Oh man... I've got bad news for you.

I'm guessing you're about 45-50...?

Oh man... I've got bad news for you.

I'm guessing you're about 45-50...?

he's >>50

and you are right... talk about "out of touch" with the younger generation growing up today...

:rolleyes: Funny. Tell us, please, how many children have you raised? I know more than a few "kids" in their 20s who are smart, well-educated--and armed to the teeth. Your gun-grabbing agenda is going exactly nowhere in this generation or the next.

Don't ever show me statistics on gun crime unless you're going to put up statistics on motor vehicle crashes and figures demonstrating the health/obesity epidemic in this country. If it's about volume of deaths, we've got a lot of shit to talk about before guns even get on the agenda.

Not sure who this was directed at, but you're preaching to the choir if you're talking to me. Pro gun. "Changing" was meant as a noun, in this instance, but was left intentionally muddy such that it would lure in all the usual suspects as a transitive verb.