Snowmobiles in the Sky

Tyson.g

Ya know, I am probably one of the lazier folks out there who loves to use mechanized transport just as much as the next guy, but am I wrong to be slightly more than bothered by no fewer than 6 sleds coming right through and across my tracks, feet from me while 6 miles from my car AND in a protected wilderness nonetheless?

:rolleyes: Sheesh. :wazup:

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ya know, I am probably one of the lazier folks out there who loves to use mechanized transport just as much as the next guy, but am I wrong to be slightly more than bothered by no fewer than 6 sleds coming right through and across my tracks, feet from me while 6 miles from my car AND in a protected wilderness nonetheless? :rolleyes: Sheesh. :wazup:
You had me ready to offer you some cheese for your whine ( ;) ) right up until the highlighted text. WTF are sleds doing in a wilderness area???

How far from the boundary line where they and are you sure?

More than two miles in from the boundary line (and I am being generous)

Yes, I am sure and I have verified my gut feeling by referencing current maps.

That sucks. Might've been worth it to stop the guys and make sure they knew they were in violation. Remind them that actions like their's could jeporadize access for everyone.

I tried to flag them down in a friendly way.

All I got was the courtesy wave. Six times.

I am usually not a real stickler for rules but even I have my line.

Too bad though, the FS was very interested in hearing about this and said I should also expect a call from law enforcement.

I would hate to see a few folks get things all f'd up for the rest of us.

How far from the boundary line where they and are you sure?

More than two miles in from the boundary line (and I am being generous)

Yes, I am sure and I have verified my gut feeling by referencing current maps.

That sucks. Might've been worth it to stop the guys and make sure they knew they were in violation. Remind them that actions like their's could jeporadize access for everyone.

Um...how would a few dirtbag snowmobilers ruin everyones access?

It's the rider's responsibility to know where wilderness area boundaries are. Our wilderness area boundaries are clearly signed. Whether or not the riders 'knew' they were trashing a wilderness is pretty much irrelevant. They didn't bother to check...and that's enough to deserve the fine, which tops out at $5000 and 6 months in the slammer, BTW.

I hope you got license plates at the TH/road end (and photos of the sledders/sleds)....without that, enforcement can't really do much, if anything. Even if you did get plates, I think the courts need law enforcement to witness the transgression (where there isn't direct evidence like good photos/video showing the location of trespass) to throw the book at them. For example, with poached fish and/or game, enforcement needs to find an illegally retained dead animal in someone's possession in order to prosecute (if they didn't catch them in the act of poaching it).

Without direct evidence, and assuming they can find the folks in question, the authorities could at least issue a warning, or keep and eye on the access in that area though. Thanks for turning them in!

No license plates as they were coming in from a completely different valley.

I was not going to drive around to that side just to get the #'s.

I had a camera and almost snapped a few shots of them and then considered my position and the fact that there were alot more of them than us and well it seemed somewhat risky to me so there is that.

I am not so concerned about these particular people being directly punished, but the notification may help enforcement patrol the Beckler River road a little more.

@Tvash -

So you are right a couple of yahoos may not be a huge deal, but like in previous discussion regarding 4th season users they can and will throw a bad light on a whole group.

Was it on a road? Not saying that would be OK, but would be much more understandable, if they were unintentionally crossing the boundary.

Also, I'm a backcountry skier and snowmobiler, and have been trying to serve as a bridge between those communities (and it's been tough). I try to get the word out whenever there is a boundary violation reported, to get other sledders who may know the violators to tell them to knock it off. Would you mind sharing more details on the location, for that purpose? PM would be fine if you want to protect your stash.

Wait, they were on an old road?? That could be an honest mistake, as it is a bit odd to have roads (even old grades) in a wilderness area. Sort of defeats the whole "untrammeled by man" thing....

No, they were not on an old road.

The Wild Sky does have older road grades in it as do other Wilderness areas such as the Boulder River Wilderness.

Hard to be "untrammeled by man" if the Wilderness was designated after heavy industrial use.

I kinda think the issue you all seem to want to ignore is the close high speed pass technique used on Tyson.g.

Kinda rude and kinda dumb.

If one rushed up on a pedestrian like that with a motorcycle, there is no doubt one is sending a message and might get into real trouble aka 'get off my lawn' or with the PD.