Upgrading Gear This Year

PrincessWookie

Let's say you're a relatively new climber, female type (less than 12 summits...successful, even), and had a gift certificate for $500.00 for some gear. You have the basics and want to do more Alpine this summer including some solo treks in the Cascades/Canada.

What kind of upgrades would you make to your gear bins...anything. Ropes, shells, pants, picks, protection (not Trojan), shoes/boots?

Just curious.

Snide, smart-ass comments always appreciated.

(OK, so I was a super nice girl this year, and Santa is gonna be good to me.)

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would decide what your major objectives are in terms of mountains/routes/tours and figure out what gear you need to complete the objectives. If you have everything you need and are simply looking to upgrade, a high quailty down sleeping bag is always a good long term investment. Same with a good pair of boots. Also, a floorless shelter is a great, low cost way to cut weight dramatically as is a light weight butane stove (Snow Peak, MSR Pocket Rocket are tough, light, and relatively cheap.)

Edited by DPS

Go talk to Jim at Pro Mountain sports. Can't go wrong there :)

Depending on what kind of Pack you have that can be easy way to cut lb's out of your kit as well.

must resist low hanging fruit comments!

Thats good advice above - I find a 1.5-2lb 20F down bag is a really good investment, as was a light pyramid tarp for summer alpine. Most everyone has a thermarest but a light compact and warm one also was a good buy.

I carry a lightweight canister stove and lightweight cookware helps. Boots, gloves, nice ice tools/piolet, ect are all nice -- really anything that helps you carry a 30L pack for weekend trips...

Just even buying pro/ropes are good to have - buy what you will need for your plans.

Edited by robpatterson5

• 4 weeks later...

The 3 most important pieces of gear you can take on a trip are

1. footwear

2. sleeping bag

3. backpack

Depending on the trip, 2 & 3 could be reversed, but as a general rule if any of these 3 pieces of gear has deficiencies it will negatively impact your trip in bigger ways than other pieces of gear will.

For $500 you will not be able to afford top-of-the line items in all 3 categories, but you could get either

1. a super awesome sleeping bag (Feathered Friends or Western Mountaineering), or

2. a really good pair of boots and a really good backpack.

If you already have these items covered, then it's a question of where can you realize the biggest improvement or weight savings or simplification. Swapping out your 2-lb Thermarest for a half-pound foam pad, getting a cooking system like the MSR Reactor, or finally finding the perfect fitting pants that you'll wear on every single climbing trip would all be good investments.

You say you have the basics, leading me to believe you probably have a decent three-season sleeping bag. If you want to upgrade to something that will give you serious winter/expedition capacity, think about buying an ultralight down unit (Feathered Friends and Western Mountaineering both offer ultralight downies that weigh only a pound)to use as a liner bag in deep cold. This allows you to cover every season efficiently - double bag for winter, three-season bag alone for spring/fall, and the 1-lb bag alone for light summer trips. For less money than you'd spend on a full-on expedition bag, you get the expedition-worthy set-up, and cover every other possibility as well.

-and with the 1-lb bag, you'll have no excuse for ever being uncomfortably cold on a bivouac (snide smartass comment next) even without me there!

-and if you do this, you'll still have a couple hundred$ for other treats...

• 2 weeks later...
Let's say you're a relatively new climber, female type (less than 12 summits...successful, even), and had a gift certificate for $500.00 for some gear. You have the basics and want to do more Alpine this summer including some solo treks in the Cascades/Canada.

What kind of upgrades would you make to your gear bins...anything. Ropes, shells, pants, picks, protection (not Trojan), shoes/boots?

Just curious.

Snide, smart-ass comments always appreciated.

As you don't seem to be the "frigid" type (heh heh), and there is some good advice upthread but I'd make doubly sure that you have something to withstand a cold, cold rain. (It would be great if you only face cold fluffy snow) That means you'd have either (or both) a Eddie Bauer/First Ascent Rainjacket or a kick assed PrimaLoft® One coat. Gear doesn't mean shit when you're hypothermic, and if you are solo, a sudden wet cold squall can do you in and put you down quick. As you've done 12 summits, and have the basics, you may already have this stuff.....if so, just hire Sobo there to be your dirtbag hauling bitch:-) Hint, pay him in cheap wine, you can pick up a bottle of Mouton Rothschild, (an empty one) and fill it full of Gallo - he doesn't know the diff anyway, and put the extra $ in the bank. Once he gets good and slobbering drunk, play mountain jeopardy with him and film it, put the film on the internet and make all your money back and even retire from the millions of hits and thousands of dollars google will pay for stupid shit. (Pat posted one of a monkey firing an AK47, I can see this easily surpassing that)

Have fun and be safe. Uhhh, that kind too. :blush: