Climbing specific Salopette ?

Dane

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Apparently being made in Portland just aint that cool ;)

What, no love here for Bill @ NWAlpine amd one of the forum sponsors?

NWAlpinist Salopette

http://nwalpine.com/apparel

salopettemain.jpg

The NWAlpinist Salopette is designed specifically for alpine climbing. Stripped of anything unnecessary, it weighs in at a mere 22 oz (large). A nice four way stretch softshell fabric on the bottom with DWR and an abrasion resistant face compliments a microdenier fleece back lycra on top. One long water resistant zipper runs from the neck in front all the way down the torso and up to the small of the back. Three zipper pulls allow easy access when nature calls. Final details include ballistics fabric for protecting the cuff and inside leg from crampon snags, grommets on the cuffs, and a single zip pocket above the knee. Cut and sewn in Northwest Oregon.

$250

Weight: 22oz (Large)

Available in XS-XL

The NWAlpinist Salopette is now available for pre-order for delivery in mid to late March. The first run is limited so order early. Please be sure to include your size when prompted upon check out. If you are ordering other items, please order them separately. (Size chart available very soon)

Hey they are made one at a time locally...so the word is you can get them made any way or any size you want. Just like a sponsored dead bird. But at likely 1/2 the cost for a better product on this one.

Ordering details are after you check the buy box I think. May be Bill will jump in with some more imfo.

Apparently being made in Portland just aint that cool ;)

What, no love here for Bill @ NWAlpine amd one of the forum sponsors?

If you've taught us anything its to be picky. I looked at buying the Black Spider Hoody but don't like the huge zipper. I keep waiting for design revisions (on the pants too) so I can get on board but then other manufacturers come out with products that more closely fit my needs.

I looked at buying the Black Spider Hoody but don't like the huge zipper. I keep waiting for design revisions (on the pants too) so I can get on board but then other manufacturers come out with products that more closely fit my needs.

The next run of Black Spider Hoodies will feature smaller sized zippers. The currently available Black Spider Light Hoodie has the small sized zipper.

What would you like to see in the pants? Its feedback like this we like to see!

Mind you I'm going by pictures but zippered cargo pockets and waste specific sizing.

The Fast/Light Pants have one pocket above the right knee with a velcro closure. Yes the current run of pants are sized in S, M, L and XL. We are a very small company so we have start on a smaller scale. With the next run of pants this is something that could easily be changed.

Is it possible to stop by and check out your products in person?

We are in the process of trying to set up some sort of show room in the Portland area where people can come try stuff on and take a frist hand look. As this is all in the works right now, go ahead and e-mail us and well see if we can work something out in the mean time.

NW-Alpine, here's a suggestion I thought of. Feel free to consider it and/or reject it outright:

Browsing the catalogue, I couldn't help but feel the Black Spider hoody was a much cooler name than any of the other products - not that the others have "bad" names, just somewhat "generic" (fast/light pant, etc.). I thought a neat theme for your products could be to name them all after distinctive PNW climbing features like you did with the Black Spider (rather than the approach most of the big manufacturers take which is just to randomly name stuff after big/well-known mountains). I know the name of products isn't really a big deal in the long run but I thought it would add a degree of cohesiveness and distinctiveness to the line.

Hi everyone, sorry I didn't get on here earlier, I've been working in central Oregon. I started NW Alpine because I was tired of buying clothes that were not designed specifically for climbing and I like the idea of clothing that's made domestically. I've gotten so many suggestions from people over the last year, some have been really good and some have been pretty bad. I guess I shouldn't be surprised that almost everyone has differing opinions when it comes to what's desirable in their climbing apparel. I've had to accept that I can't please all of the people all of the time but hope to please at least some of the people some of the time! We've really only got a couple of pieces out right now because we're working hard to refine patterns, find the right people to do the work, etc.

I'm really stoked about the Black Spider Light hoody. They're super nice and the first run sold out in under two weeks. (Actually that's not true, we've got one XL left if anyone wants it). The people who have given me feedback about the piece have been really positive. I've used one a bunch myself and it's pretty much my favorite base/mid layer. We've got another production run in the works and they should be available in the next week or two. Enough people have expressed interest in them that they'll probably sell out quickly like the first run did. There's some lag time in our production, but that's something we're working on figuring out.

As for the salopette, I'm really stoked about that as well. It's an awesome cold weather piece, especially when paired with the light hoody. You can see the size chart here. I'd like to clarify some earlier comments as well. The salopette is NOT a custom piece. That would start to get really expensive and it's not something that we can really do at this point. That being said, if you have a freakishly long inseam, or some other size irregularity, feel free to e-mail us and we may be able to work something out.

Also, I know that buying clothing online is sometimes a difficult thing to do. That's why we offer an unconditional money back guarantee. If you receive the item and for whatever reason you don't want to keep it, you're free to return it in unused condition within 90 days. Also, if you're in the Portland area it's entirely possible that we can meet up and you can try stuff on. Just drop us a line.

We're also working on some other cool stuff (including a women's version of the hoody). So follow us on Facebook or check the site occasionally to see what's up. Sorry this got to be so long, thanks for reading!

Bill

• 2 weeks later...

Just got back from ripping it up at Anthony Lakes with these Salopettes... my verdict is that they rock!!! I was shredding pow and touring it up in style and comfort. They breathe and vent great when the skins come on, having the loose waist is really helps ventilation and breathability. Then when your ready to go down hill throw on your jacket/shell and start trapping the heat again. Can't wait to send some sick WI7 pitches in them. Seriously tho I honsetly can't think of anything negative to say about them, and I don't even really like Bill that much either. So if you desire a great pair of softshell pants/bibs, I highly reccomend looking into the NWAlpine Salopette. These will be my go to from here on out, and I'm pretty damn gnar.

I honsetly can't think of anything negative to say about them, and I don't even really like Bill that much either.

That's the last prototype you get to test! Just kidding, thanks for the review...

As an aside the production model is going to have dual vertically oriented chest pockets for your enjoyment.

I hate skiing and they are pretty damn good ski pants as well :)

One run, 5500 vert feet and just 20k long ;)

P3020108.JPG

Yesterday I started out in crotch deep trail breaking for an hour or so. Then a few pitches of easy mixed, -18C and a 60mph wind at 11K and I was loving them!

I want another pair before you had pockets to the vest!