uss mt hood

ivan

The Belgrano was sunk by the Brits in the Falklands war - half of the Argentine casualties and a cold, miserable, grave in the south atlantic.

Ah, that's what happened to the Phoenix - the last of our ships sunk by the British. City names these days are on Los Angeles class attack subs.

Yes, the Phoenix was sold to Argentina, renamed the General Belgrano, and was sunk by a Brit sub in 1982. wiki

The Brooklyn was transferred to Chile, renamed the O'Higgins, and sank on its way to a scrapyard in India ~40 years later. wiki

Zzzzzz...

veterans_428x269_to_468x312.jpg

Edited by prole

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since prole "broke the seal" and posted the first pic of veterans today, I'll throw down a couple pics of my favorite vet:

SGT (Ret.) Frank Soboleski, Easy Co., 506th PIR, 101st Airborne Division.

One of the Band of Brothers then:

Uncle_Frank_ready_for_combat.jpg

And now, at last year's 65th commemoration of the Normandy Invasion. He's the happy looking guy next to Tom Hanks.

Uncle_Frank_2009_commemoration.jpg

if it wasn't in das boot i don't know it :)

course, das boot is pretty much a ragingly anti-nazi movie

i don't see how a man can be pro-veteran and not be anti-war, and thus anti-conservative - the "soldiers are political, we just serve each other" thing is of course noble and cool, but in the end, for the whole world to wash its hand of individual connection and involvement in national conflicts is uber-retard...

if it wasn't in das boot i don't know it :)

course, das boot is pretty much a ragingly anti-nazi movie

i don't see how a man can be pro-veteran and not be anti-war, and thus anti-conservative - the "soldiers are political, we just serve each other" thing is of course noble and cool, but in the end, for the whole world to wash its hand of individual connection and involvement in national conflicts is uber-retard...

Making the leap from "pro war" to conservative is retarded--especially given the track record of liberals like Wilson, FDR, LBJ. :)

But as for your last thought; I'm not sure bringing the conflict to entire populations--like LeMay to Japan or Sherman to the deep South--really changes anybody's mind about war.

Making the leap from "pro war" to conservative is retarded--especially given the track record of liberals like Wilson, FDR, LBJ. :)

Once again, total failure in logic. What these so-called liberals did has nothing to do with conservatives usually being warmongers, like you for example.

Since prole "broke the seal" and posted the first pic of veterans today, I'll throw down a couple pics of my favorite vet

No shit Sobo? That's proud, thanks for sharing the pics.

No shit, OW. That's my uncle, my dad's older brother Frank. My dad has another older brother, my Uncle Eddie, who served in the PTO as a Marine. Surprised that he survived the march toward Tokyo. Both Frank and Eddie are still alive today, although they officially overqualify as curmudgeons, now. :)

My dad didn't "get in the fight" since he was just 15 when the war ended. My Uncle Frank tells the story of 3 or 4 guys from their hometown of International Falls, MN, that committed suicide when they received grades of 4F and were told that they wouldn't be allowed to serve. Strange times, then...

Best 3 WWII flicks:

Das Boot

Patton

Thin Red Line

not the dirty dozen!?!

patton looks pretty damned dated after shaving ryan's privates, and TRL, while a cool movie, is so completly baffling and surreal that it doesn't so much seem a movie about ww2 as a work of high art/philosophy on life itself

I think Band of Brothers should be in there somewhere. A great story arch from WTF Their Shootin At Us! to post war disillusionment.

Give Patton another viewing - each opening scene is a cinematic work of art. It is dated in that the grittiness is and first person POV isn't really there, but still.

Shaving's good...but I think 90% of that is the invasion scene, which is out and out brilliant.

Shaving's good...but I think 90% of that is the invasion scene, which is out and out brilliant.

can remember literally trembling during htat scene, watching it in the theatre w/ the full sound-effects

you know patton didn't sound anythign like george c scott in real life, right? :)

He was high pitched and whiny, wasn't he?

yeah, and unlike the opening scene, apparently most folks had no fucking clue what he was saying when he'd make his big public speeches

my grandpa tried to arrest patton as part of the big louisiana war game right before ww2 started - patton drove through his opfor position, but then berated him and called him a cock-sucker or some such and drove off in his staff car :P