Reconsider Columbus Day 2010

kevbone

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Alright, my bad. You're right. America never should have happened. Big mistake. Terrible country (all in sarcastic voice).

I mean, if you don't think Columbus should have discovered the new world FOR what was then "Western Society" it is as if you hate America, IMO, because you are wishing it away. Or you're an idealist who somehow wishes you could go back and change things. But if history teaches us anything it is that bad things almost always accompany any sort of positive change. Unless you think America is completely a waste...then I ask...why live here?

These are my thoughts, ignore them if you wish.

You sure twist the conversation around. Watch the video again. You will see that these people only want the truth to be told nothing else. They don’t want to have a national holiday honoring a person who committed atrocious acts of violence against indigenous people. That’s all. This has nothing to do whether he discovered America.

One or more of the folks interviewed state, "It ain't your fault." I don't think they hate folks descended from European ancestry.

my fav hl mencken quote:

"The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all."

Had Mencken stated that oppressive laws are first aimed at scoundrels, while possessing the knowledge of history we have today, he would be speaking with an eloquent style, while at once acting the part of a muddle-minded pseudo-intellectual.

By the blood of millions of innocent people murdered by the practice of laws crafted and executed by scoundrels such as Christopher Columbus, we know that oppression more often begins as an act of evil against not a few, but the many.

wardeaths.jpg

hmmm, most euro countries lost 1%/yr during WW1.

Vietnam lost ~.5%/year during the Vietnam war. Very different graph if one starts plotting all the relevant blood baths.

Anyone cares to guess where Iraq would fit?

Edited by j_b

Vietnam lost ~.5%/year during the Vietnam war. Very different graph if one starts plotting all the relevant blood baths.

The key relationship there is the long-term fatality rate in a given society, which is a function of the frequency, severity, and duration of conflict in each.

A small society that is engaged in constant skirmishes where a handful of people are killed each time there's a battle, raid, etc will generally see a significantly greater percentage of its population killed in war than a much larger society that engages in intense conflicts for limited periods of time.

"Noble Savages" tend to kill an awful lot of each other relative to non-primitive societies.

Where do you think an 80% casualty rate for a total population of 5 people over 30 years would plot compared to a 10% casualty rate for a population of 200 million over 5 years? How meaningful would that graph be?

Moreover, do you think this graph is telling us that Germany and Russia had a war death rate of .15% over the course of the 20th century? That seems quite high.

Edited by j_b

Since the data you presented was basically impossible to gather for aforementioned reasons, your conclusions remain unsupported.

There are other flaws in your thesis. Timing, for example. Over what time periods were these questionable stats gathered. Are they long term averages, over a societies 'worst year or years'...

Furthermore, population scales are vastly different. Is it valid to compare a few tribes out of many with all of europe to determine the levels of violence of 'primitives' to 'europeans'? Why not compare the levels of violence between, say, Germans during WWII and I (high) versus the Toltecs during their worst years. You know, since we're cherry picking tribes to arrive an a predetermined, desired conclusion. What of the levels of violence amongs California coastal tribes (omitted) verses the NAZIs?

All one needs to do is move the data sample one or two years in either direction to either include or exclude major wars, and the conclusions do a 180. That, and the data for primitive societies must be simply made up.

Don't get me wrong, the Noble Savage idea is bullshit - angry hairless monkeys are what they are, but this kind of faux science would be an insult to a kindergartener.

The key relationship there is the long-term fatality rate in a given society, which is a function of the frequency, severity, and duration of conflict in each.

A small society that is engaged in constant skirmishes where a handful of people are killed each time there's a battle, raid, etc will generally see a significantly greater percentage of its population killed in war than a much larger society that engages in intense conflicts for limited periods of time.

"Noble Savages" tend to kill an awful lot of each other relative to non-primitive societies.