Finding People Interested In Climbing w a Newbie

Kobe

Hi everyone! Well, here is my sad story...I developed an interest in rock climbing and mountaineering about a year ago. My boyfriend and I joined the rock gym, and recently took a basic mountaineering class with the OMA. (I live in Portland)Well, now for the sad part...my boyfriend has left to do some exploring on his own of an entirely different nature, and now I have NO ONE with whom to practice my newly acquired skills, (such as how to self-arrest with an ice axe, and climb out of a crevasse using the Texas Prusik System!!)To make a long story short; I really want to climb some mountains and have no one to do it with. I would like to start out with something pretty simple and work my way up. Let me know if anyone wants to take pity on me and let me tag along on a relatively easy climb!! Thanks, Tina

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I would probably advise you to stay away from the Mazamas. If you're interested in "group trips" you're better off with the OMA or better yet, the Obsidians in Eugene (they're a pretty good crew). Or even better yet, maybe you could hook up with some cc.com'ers.

You might try heading to a PDX Pub Club and see if you can hook up with any of the guys or gals there to do some climbing.

Well, as for rock climbing (and not peak bagging) some of us Eugene folk could probably hook you up. Some of us head to Smith every now and then, plus there is Flagstone for some kick ass sport. And, you're more than welcome to head down I-5 and meet us for Pub Club at the columns.

Best of luck!!! Me thinks you will have NO PROBLEM finding people to climb with around here.

[big Drink][big Drink][big Drink][big Drink][big Drink][big Drink]

The OMA doesn't do a ton of group trips, but it is a good organization for hooking up with other climbers from beginner to advanced. They usually do an annual casual trip up Three Fingered Jack and Mt. Washington, which would be a good easy intro to Oregon choss with some nice exposure to boot. You'll probably meet up with someone at your stage as well. Hope your class went well.

If you are looking to bag a peak when you are in the Seattle area, let me know I'd be happy to have you tag along. While there are plenty of chicks around here that climb, I being one - I'm not sure who all the others are, but none the less let me know when you are going to be in the area. We can plan a peak or two. [Razz]

Actually, a good place to practice your prussiking would be on the lower part of the Elliot glacier on Mount Hood. The first few crevasses are usually pretty easy to access, and there is not too much of a risk of falling in if you stick to the very lower reaches of the glacier. This is the same area where some of the guide services do their crevasse rescue courses.

Now as far as self arrests go...

The best place to prussik would be from 50ft down inside a really deep glacier. Then if you find your not a good prussiker we can just cut the rope and your body will never be found.

Ok, it might be found many years from now when the glaciers receed from Mtn man's SUV exhaust and all those cow farts releasing gases into the atmoshere. By then though I'll be an old man however and will be so revered as a climber in the NW no one will believe I would have killed you unless you deserved it.

• 2 weeks later...

The Mazamas once told me I had to climb a mountaine before I joined.. The old chicken and egg thing.. In Portland I can't give you any advice but If you ever come up to Seattle the Mountaineers( I know, ,, corny.. every one on thes site is sooo hip) have all kinds of things. from hiking to inermediate ice and rock and eveything in between.. I have gone to some of the most beautiful places one these trips.. You can also network and branch out on your own.

Don't listen to all these wankers, especially Iain, their motives are not genuine. Half of them can't even find their way to the local crag parking lot without getting lost.

I'm sure if you hang around cc for a while climbing partners will be knocking at your door before too long. Be patient.

quote:

Originally posted by gapertimmy:

the amber troll was so much better

the bend pub club is by far the most active of all cc.com clubs. you could try the ktk branch located in spray, OR as well.

timmay
[geek]

if you are looking for your local KTK branch check the lava tubes cause we are an UNDERGROUND organization [Wink]