• Announcements

• olyclimber

WELCOME TO THE CASCADECLIMBERS.COM FORUMS   02/03/18

We have upgraded to new forum software as of late last year, and it makes everything here so much better!  It is now much easier to do pretty much anything, including write Trip Reports, sell gear, schedule climbing related events, and more. There is a new reputation system that allows for positive contributors to be recognized,  it is possible to tag content with identifiers, drag and drop in images, and it is much easier to embed multimedia content from Youtube, Vimeo, and more.  In all, the site is much more user friendly, bug free, and feature rich!   Whether you're a new user or a grizzled cascadeclimbers.com veteran, we think you'll love the new forums. Enjoy!
Sign in to follow this  
tivoli_mike

First Trad lead

Well, it was scary as hell, and I am glad that my pieces stayed in long enough for my second to clean them! [smile] . I should also mention that Mt. Erie is definitely underrated for its locale. Nothing like having a commanding view of the San Juans, Rainier, Baker, the Olympics, and tons of eagles to boot!

Ciao

Leaning Crack (5.6ish) Powerline Wall , Mt. Erie.

i remember wy first lead.....got my good friends to sandbag me!!!!

now that you have done the first one, the other 586,789 should be a piece of cake!!

good work dude!!!

[big Drink]

uh oh first trad lead.

next thing ya know you will be buying a #6 Friend...

nice work! [Cool]

(the fear factor will likely always be part of it, but what's important is whether you're having fun. hope you were!!!)

Now you will sell the family heirlooms to buy gear. Beware! There is no twelve step program and those who pretend to be your friends really just want you to belay them on their next project. [Wink]

My first on-sight lead was on a spit of rock between the North and South Gateway rocks in the Garden of the Gods, a city park in Colorado Springs. A local climber-god named Kevin happened by just as I was ready to start up and said to me, "Just turn your mind off and let all of the power in you flow through you into the rock." Those words kept me alive on that lead...and for the next 26 years. Dennis

I remember scaring the bejeezus out of myself on my first trad lead in J-Tree. To top it off my partner had never taken down an anchor before, and it was a hanging belay.

Congrats on your first lead!

quote:

Originally posted by Dennis Harmon:

My first on-sight lead was on a spit of rock between the North and South Gateway rocks in the Garden of the Gods, a city park in Colorado Springs. Dennis

South Ridge of White Spire?

Were you in town when Steve Hong, Steve Cheney, Pete Gallagher, Jimmy Dunn, etc were putting up stuff?

Yes... basically from '76 thru '86. Bob Robertson was my mentor, and Steve "Muff" Cheyne and Dennis Jackson (the first guy to take me climbing) re-soled our EB's and PA's. Pete Gallager as well as Earl Wiggins climbed with us often. Never met Steve Hong cause he was out of Denver. Climbed a lot with Glen Shultdz (SP) if that rings a bell. The "Springs" climbers were a tight sub-culture back then and pioneered much of the early routes in the Black Canyon and the Canyonlands. Bob R. and his daughter Carrie and Trout and a pretty girl came up and we climbed Rainier a couple years ago. Gotta love Colorado. Good hearing from an ex-patriate. Dennis

WAHOO!!!!!! [big Drink] Welcome.....I am a new member as well! Just need to get out there again.....sheesh [Roll Eyes]

At least you did your first…I cant say the same….I started on my 10th lead now Im in my 4th…or some thing like that…. Just pass the pipe [big Drink][big Grin]