Trip Report - Rooster Rock Attempt 8-25-09

Corduroy Man

Hey all new to the fourm here so this is my first shot at a Trip Report. I could not figure out how to make it a cool format like all of your guys? Mabey I'm missing someting. Anyways last August my partner Steve and loaded up his Subaru wagon with hopes of rippin it up on Rooster Rock in the Columbia River Gorge. We couldn't find much information about it other than what Steve had heard from someone talking over at the Circut bouldering gym. Wich was something like this "really easy with a very short hike" well this was misleading. We drove to Rooster Rock State Park, had to pay the fee bummer! Anyways we racked up, 2 packs, 2 ropes, 2 harness, 2 paris of shoes, 2 atcs, 1 set of Rock Empire cams, 1 set Wild Country Hex's, 1 set Black Diamond stoppers, 1 nut tool, 20 carabiners, 2 20' peices of cord, 10 slings and 5 quickdraws. We hoped this would be enough to make this so called easy summit. Turns out this was going to be harded than expected, we could see the rock easily but could we get to it? It seemed as if it was surrounded by water! We tryed and tryed but could not figure out how you could get over there. Steve suggested we swim over there, but I was worried about the water hurting our gear. We tossed around the idea of going back to Troutdale and buying a little raft. In the end though and air conditioned bouldering session won, as it was close to 90 that day. So we loaded back up and headed back to the Cricut to get pumped. Not much of a trip, but the big question is how do ya'll get over there, swim, kayak raft? Cheers and rock on!

Edit: P.S. Sorry no pitcures as we forgot the camera not like there would have been many action shots anyways!

Edited by Corduroy Man

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As how to post a trip report with the snazzy format, you click "new trip report" rather than the "new topic" button.

this would be true if The Powers That Be hadn't decided oddly to prevent TR's from being listed in this particuliar foru :)

As how to post a trip report with the snazzy format, you click "new trip report" rather than the "new topic" button.

this would be true if The Powers That Be hadn't decided oddly to prevent TR's from being listed in this particuliar foru :)

That is probable all Ivan's fault. If'n they made it easy to do a "snazzy" TR in this forum, he'd have a couple hundred more TRs by now... :wave:

• 4 weeks later...
Steve suggested we swim over there, but I was worried about the water hurting our gear.....

Never swim with your gear son unless there is no other alternative, the stuff is too heavy and cumbersome and you will most likely immediately sink like a rock and drown. Don't clip it off to your harness if you chose to ignore this advice, put it on a gear sling with a long runner attached. Anytime you are climbing over rivers, you can rig a long sling to your gear sling so if you have to drop it off due to a fall into the river, as long as the cord is longer than the river is deep, you won't sink and you can pull your gear out. Keep a knife handy in case you misjudge the distances and get pulled under and have to cut it anyway. Wish I had a picture of Wiss falling into the muddy banks of the river when his pitons zippered.

Rock on!

Never swim with your gear son unless there is no other alternative, the stuff is too heavy and cumbersome and you will most likely immediately sink like a rock and drown. Don't clip it off to your harness if you chose to ignore this advice, put it on a gear sling with a long runner attached. Anytime you are climbing over rivers, you can rig a long sling to your gear sling so if you have to drop it off due to a fall into the river, as long as the cord is longer than the river is deep, you won't sink and you can pull your gear out. Keep a knife handy in case you misjudge the distances and get pulled under and have to cut it anyway. Wish I had a picture of Wiss falling into the muddy banks of the river when his pitons zippered.

If we had an archive of sage advice for climbers, this post would belong there.

Hey all, just wanted to thank everyone for the awsome beta! Looks like it helped us a lot, as my partner and I were able to make the summit of Rooster Rock this past Saturday. Gee that anchor on top is really weird, but everything about the climb was great. I did get a little scarred on the loose rock, so I made sure I sewed the pitch up with gear. Luckily we had a double sized rack to 4" or I probably would have been pretty gripped. Great views of the gorge and Crown Point. Anyone climb Crown Point? Looks like Oregons mini El Capitan. Hope everyone sent hard this weekend! Rock on!