Hilleberg Rad vs Wal-Mart

johndavidjr

Thought posting in "spray" rather than gear is probably more appropriate, since all I ever get on this point is mindless abuse from fat people who imagine owning Jaguar will impress women or something.

Hilleberg Rad is $365, vs $20 for Wal-mart pup-tent.

Their specs are remarkably similar.

Both are useful in mild conditions. The Wal-Mart tent requires modification, in form of throwing away heavy poles and stakes, plus careful seam sealing.

Relative to full spectrum of conditions that may be encountered in 12-month cycle, both have obvious limitations.

Asking self, would I want to use Wal-Mart tent for many weeks in summer in Alpine Cascades? Maybe, but not if funds were unlimited.

Would I prefer the Wal-mart tent to a high-priced tarp for extensive summer alpine camping? Probably, because insects are the really dreaded element to alpine Cascade camping in summer.

This IS a "troll," but with point about unintential rip-offs and economics.

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You need to stand back and ask yourself, "What tent would Tom Vu buy?". The answer is clear.

"Are you man enough to get off your lazy American ass and go to Vu’s seminars?"

"A lot of your friends will tell you, 'Don't come to the seminar. It's a get-rich-quick plan.' Well, tell them, it is a get-rich-quick plan because life is too short to get rich slow."

"Tom Vu says his system is different than other experts'."

"Okay. You've seen me make a lot of money. You've seen my students who are average people make a lot of money. Isn't it about time for you to go out and make a lot of money?"

"I will not tolerate other immigrants."

"There's two kinds of work in America: hard work and smart work. Which one are you doing now?"

"This is not a country club! This is my house!"

"Are you afraid to ask your Boss for the day off to come to my seminar? Well then you don't deserve to be rich"

"Today I'm gonna show you how to drive a sports car. First, you need a lot of money!"

"Don't listen to your friends. They're losers!"

"Do you think these girls like me? NO, they like my money!"

"At first I got lots of discouragement from friends and stranger who are loser! You know what these people kept telling me? They kept saying, 'Well Tom Vu, you a crazy nut, here you are, a poor immigrant, poor minority, speak no English, no contact, on and on, and you trying to be rich in America! You crazy, man! Look at people out there! They smarter than you are, they not even rich! Who are you to try?' And you know what? I have to keep telling these people every time, I kept saying, 'You are loser! Get out of my way! I make it somehow!'"

tom-vu-784253.jpg

Edited by prole

It doesn't take a degree in economics to realize that Walmart puptents are the best thing going. I fully expect that Walmart will be at the next OR, and that their booth is going to be off the hook.

At this point I think we should put together some sort of a poetry contest to see who can put into writing how much they love their Walmart puptent.

Maybe I can start a new Walmart puptent forum, dedicated to discussing the merits of and sharing the love that is the Walmart puptent? Walmart Puptent?

Walmart.

puptent.

walmart.puptent.

walmartpuptent

Thought posting in "spray" rather than gear is probably more appropriate, since all I ever get on this point is mindless abuse from fat people who imagine owning Jaguar will impress women or something.

Hilleberg Rad is $365, vs $20 for Wal-mart pup-tent.

Their specs are remarkably similar.

$20? You profligate corporate tool! You can raid a construction site for Tyvek and duct tape for a lot cheaper! Use caulk for sealer and you are set for winter conditions on the summit of Rainier!

Hilleberg Rad specs are essentially similar to the $20 tent.

Both are made of impermiable and rather flimsy fabric and include insect netting and vents.

Both are roomy one-person shelters, conceivably useful for two people.

Their actual weights (with appropriate modifications) are comparable.

I get continued lame comments from people who metaphorically, or mentally or in fact are FAT and WEAK, who hope (metaphorically or otherwise) to get laid because they aimlessly spend lots of money.

Hilleberg Rad specs are essentially similar to the $20 tent.

Both are made of impermiable and rather flimsy fabric and include insect netting and vents.

Both are roomy one-person shelters, conceivably useful for two people.

Their actual weights (with appropriate modifications) are comparable.

I get continued lame comments from people who metaphorically, or mentally or in fact are FAT and WEAK, who hope (metaphorically or otherwise) to get laid because they aimlessly spend lots of money.

You're definitely Walmart material. GO FOR IT!!!

I have had one for years and surprisingly it is still in great shape! It's actually pretty rugged and easy to fix if something does fail. Perfect for one person (even though it says "sleeps 2"). It's VERY small, light and For the price, it can't be beat

Keep in mind this is a 9 dollar trail tent... sweat builds up on the inside with the flaps closed, the 4 aluminum poles (two fit together on each end in a "pup-tent" fasion) could be easily bent (Mine never has but it could happen). Sometimes the only color they have is a dark blue, but a little black mist of spray paint fixes this.

Yes, for quick set up and ease of use most of us keep one in the B.O.B.

There are those here that will criticize the Walmart puptent. The Walmart puptent symbolizes the struggle of the capitalist system. The struggle of value vs. perception. The battle of marketing vs. reality. There are those that will criticize. But they are feeble minded dribbling drooling fools. The Walmart puptent represents all that is clean and beautiful about the great outdoors. There are those that are critical of the Walmart puptent. Their minds have been ravaged by corporate war on their own minds, they have clearly lost in this battlefield of common sense.

Have pity on them, but be content in your Walmart puptent. The piece of mind in knowing that you have made the right consumer choice and your fat wallet should be enough.