Good chimney near Portland?

Lodestone

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"good" and "near portland" don't really go together all that often

i can't believe you never bought weed 'roudn there g-dawg :)

she might like right gull out at beacon rock, it's chimesque in parts

hey, how about the alpinejagger on crown point - scott got his wife up it the other day!

You bet,the classic climb of Crown Point has one of the longer chimneys around. The second pitch begins as a deep chimney and actually becomes a tunnel that goes right through the main right hand column. Easy 5th class becoming 4th class, and a complete hoot/kick in the ass. :tup:

Edited by Mtguide

You bet,the classic climb of Crown Point has one of the longer chimneys around. The second pitch begins as a deep chimney and actually becomes a tunnel that goes right through the main right hand column. Easy 5th class becoming 4th class, and a complete hoot/kick in the ass. :tup:

Sweet, I'll check that out.

Chad

also at carver there's a long 5.9 just to the right of notorious (meaning the far left side of the crag) that starts with 30-40 feet of chimney moves. it also protects pretty well, with varyingh sized gear placements. i'm spacing the name of the route at the moment....i also think the upper part might be dirty, but there are intermediate anchors you can access if you want to bail early.

like others have said - i think you're gonna have to drive a bit to find any long or sustained chimney routes....smith, leavenworth, etc. (ignoring the crown point "adventure" possibility)

There are a few routes in the PDX metro area that offer at least a few feet of chimney-esque climbing: right gull, blownout, gandalf's P3, & 1 or 2 at carver...shoot from the hip & superstition (depending on how you do them)

Here is Plaidman's (Scott's) TR on it. Looks pretty scary to me!

http://cascadeclimbers.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=907095

You may want to read this for sure. Unless your girlfriend it into bushwhacking and an Alpine adventure I would not suggest the West Chimney on Crown Point. Unless you would like her to be your x-girlfriend or you are trying to find out if she is made of the right stuff.

We did it on the hottest day last August.

It may be a friggin freezer in there now.

The climb is good but getting off the damn thing was a bitch.

You may want to read this for sure. Unless your girlfriend it into bushwhacking and an Alpine adventure I would not suggest the West Chimney on Crown Point. Unless you would like her to be your x-girlfriend or you are trying to find out if she is made of the right stuff.

We did it on the hottest day last August.

It may be a friggin freezer in there now.

The climb is good but getting off the damn thing was a bitch.

Thanks, after Steve posted your trip report I was pretty excited until I read it and watched the videos. My girlfriend is a little too much of a fair weather climber to deal with the West Chimney. By the way, Tim Olson has a new book out, Gorge Classic Climbs, that has some info and a topo for this route (although your trip report has much more information).

The PSU science bldg has an external stairway that goes 5 stories. Take slings to pro off the handrails as you cruise by. It's a wide ass stem.

I spent a lot of time in SB1 & SB2, I ought to remember that. :confused: I'll have to to wander back on campus.

The building next to PRG has a 10" OW that has been lead and free soloed. Rumored to be hard...

The building west of PRG? Interesting.

Thanks everyone.

Chad

There is a good chimney at Horsetheif Butte. From parking area it is located at basically the right corner on the parking lot side (i.e., walk to base of wall and go around the right to the corner). Maybe 5.6? Runout lead, but easy to drop a top rope.

Perfect, my GF really likes Horsethief Butte. I'd never noticed this climb but I see it now on the topo from Olson's book.

horsethief_butte.jpg

Chad