• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anti-tax warrior. :laf:

Glenn Beck's visit cost hometown nearly $18,000

The Associated Press

MOUNT VERNON, Wash. —

Glenn Beck's visit to his hometown in September brought more than media attention and protesters.

It also cost the city nearly $18,000.

The Skagit Valley Herald reports that supplies, equipment costs and overtime for police officers and firefighters added up to $17,748.85.

Finance Director Alicia Hushka says that some officers will take comp time and reusable items bought for the event will lower the cost to about $10,500.

Beck visited his hometown after Mayor Bud Morris decided to give the controversial radio personality a ceremonial key to the city.

Beck grew up in Skagit and Whatcom counties.

I wonder if the trend will take hold in the US? How about Goldman Sachs' top execs, for starters?

In the US, it is the poor people who have too much money.

so why don't we just let the poor people control all the money in the world??? perhaps a percentage are poor because of their lack of control in the first place...

and this is coming form someone who is a few paychecks away from being poor.

like dennis miller say's " i don't mind helping the helpless, but i don't care to help the clueless" something like that anyway.....

well i'm rich and i sure as hell am not giving my money away to pink just because he "needs it"

come on porter, i can't just sit around on my ass with no cash man :grin:

i used to go to yosemite A LOT and sit there smoking weed thinkin how all these rich fuck stink up the park then i grew up and realized man it sure in the hell is alot easier hangin out here cause of all these rich fucks.

i used to go to yosemite A LOT and sit there smoking weed thinkin how all these rich fuck stink up the park then i grew up and realized man it sure in the hell is alot easier hangin out here cause of all these rich fucks.

Hey man, as long as you got yours right? :P

yep... free showers, free pizza, free pancakes, free pussy. nothing like taking a shit at the awahnee after soloing the column or a nice bus ride to church bowl on a hot summer day. i'll say i got mine and someone else payed for it. oh to be liberal and young.

i was standing in line at the convenient mart the other day and some dude was complaining about how he got his tools stolen MAN and how he makes his money MAN with his tools MAN. and then he say's if ur gonna steal, steal from someone rich or a big corporation. he was holding up the line, i'd say the line was about 10 people long the longest line i've ever seen at a "Quickie Mart". i was thinking how about not stealin from ANYBODY and STFU so i can go make my money MAN cause he was certainly stealin my time.

guess he got his.... :)

Edited by pink

I wonder if the trend will take hold in the US? How about Goldman Sachs' top execs, for starters?

Probably not. Warren Buffet has essentially argued for something similar for years and despite a few wealthy liberals paying lip service to the idea, it hasn't gotten anywhere.

Rather than a wealth tax, a tax on financial transactions (i.e. Tobin tax) would be more equitable because it'd target financial speculation much more directly whereas individuals using their wealth to invest in economic development wouldn't be affected.

Tobin Tax

"Democrats for a Flat Tax?

By Joe Mathews, New America Foundation

The Wall Street Journal | July 11, 2009

If that happens, California's tired budget debate -- which usually pits Democrats against Republicans -- will take on a new twist. This time the debate to watch will be among Democrats as they hash out whether taxes are too progressive to accomplish progressive political goals.

If that happens, California's tired budget debate -- which usually pits Democrats against Republicans -- will take on a new twist. This time the debate to watch will be among Democrats as they hash out whether taxes are too progressive to accomplish progressive political goals.

Karen Bass is an unlikely tax cutter. She's the Democratic speaker of the California State Assembly, a fierce defender of the labor movement, and an advocate for repealing a constitutional provision that requires that tax increases pass the state legislature with a two-thirds majority.

But as California faces a budget crisis that defies efforts to resolve it, there is a woman-bites-dog story developing with Ms. Bass at its center. By the end of the month, a commission she pushed to create is expected to recommend that the state adopt a flat (or at least flatter) personal income tax and cut or repeal corporate and sales taxes.

Normally, such proposals would be dead on arrival in Sacramento. But now many Democrats, including the speaker, are realizing that what they need is a tax base that will provide steady funding for their programs. In other words, they need a tax base that doesn't count on a large slice of revenue from taxes on a relatively small number of wealthy residents who can flee the state or who are themselves vulnerable to losing a substantial portion of income in a recession."