This pack or that pack?

sklag

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really like the new Cilo45 so far.

Carries quite well, good size, good functionality, good mobility when climbing/scrambling. I think the webbing used is much more supple then on the V2.5s. It is also much better sewn.

I usual don't adjust the strap arnagment once I leave the car, just tighten them ect as needed during the trip.

Prefer the 'strap-on' crampon patch over the pouch, seems more secure.

Size wise I think it is perfect for what your doing, might be full-to-bursting on a few trips but for most it will be perfect.

Overall very impressed with it, seems like they are getting to be a good streamlined pack that also is adjustable as needed.

That said, for daytrips I REALLY like my Serratus Gennie, the 45 does not replace mine, nor does it replace a 60+L pack when headed out for 8-9 days. For 2-3 days, it seems unbeatable once fitted. But Arc'Teryx packs do not fit me.

My 2 cents is the Cilo 45. I own the 30 and have used the 20, 40, 45 and 60 and really like them all. That said, pack fit is the primary criterion for having a pack that will work well for you and it is very personal. For me the Khamsin and Khazri packs from Arc'teryx carry like absolute crap. But the guys I know who own them continually rave about them and say they are some of the most comfortable packs they've ever worn.

Get to a shop and try some packs on then pick the one that fits you the best and has the fewest extraneous features and doo-dads that you'll just end up cutting off anyways.

Edited by Maxtrax

I'm surprised you're recommending overpriced crap. Wal-Mart has an excellent selection of backpacks at much more reasonable prices. This one includes two water bottles.

Remington Big Horn Backpack

Well it does have the dual carcinogen plastic water bottles and it does have the zippers that last almost a week. But I don't know if I'd like the camo, I mean isn't it bow hunting season? You could get shot or something.

and it's not properly named either, to pump up sales it should be the Remington Big Dong Backpack. Those people in marketing are too timid.

Well, the way I looked at it was this way. If the 40b is 42 liters normally stuffed, and the 45l was 45 normally stuffed, then that's a difference of 3 liters (yeah, people from the midwest can do simple math). I would be very surprised if I ever missed that 3 liters of space at all. Now I just hope all my stuff will fit. :hcluv:

Like Danielpatricksmith I too really like the Black Diamond packs for climbing. I have also come to like the Osprey Aether 60 as an all around weekend climbing pack. It is really comfortable carrying up to 40 pounds of gear, is stable, and is reasonably light. It isn't as "technical" as some of the others, but works well for me. It all depends on your needs.

Ok, just got the cilogear pack today... Impeccable quality. Can't wait to get out and use it some. Maybe I wished it was a tad larger, but then again, maybe that's a mindset that needs to change! If need be, the extension collar does extend pretty far.

• 2 weeks later...