**EMERGENCY** LOOKING FOR CLIMBERS

CATHI

congrats on being alive - now train up your women, eh? mandatory 24 hour for self-rescue 'fore you go getting The Man in on it!

Yeah, this has happened to me before. I was like, you called who? You got the cops looking for us?

I think of that Onstar. Have you been in a wreck? Who wants to know? Don't you dare call the cops lady.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember taking my friends boyfriend out for his first hike/scramble.

We walked up to Gothic Peak and he was so excited to use his new cell phone to call his girl to tell her how cool he was for making it up the mountain.

Reception sucked and he was only able to get a few words in before the phone dropped the call and he was unable to reestablish a connection.

Walking out later that day we saw two women hiking in the Monte Cristo road with no packs and what appeared from a distance to be flip flops.

Turns out it was my wife at the time and my friend coming to rescue us after having recieved the call that was interpreted as we are stuck on the mountain.

I was dumbfounded....as in what were you thinking you could do for us?

Oh well, at least the authorities were not involved.

I have since made it a point to let my loved ones know that I require a 24 hour window before SAR is notified.

Edited by Pilchuck71

I don't think anyone is giving any of the folks involved grief over this, most folks here have been involved in some similar situation, on one side or the other. I'm glad this worked out just fine, as it has for most of us. I got benighted out with my son, which really amped up the homefront concern level. Fortunately it was the Stuart Range and the county sheriff had a lot of experience and counseled my wife that it was a long route and not uncommon for people to be overdue.

Arch, sorry to hear about your event, was this recent? Hope you're doing alright.

I don't think anyone is giving any of the folks involved grief over this, most folks here have been involved in some similar situation, on one side or the other.

I think a lot of folks figured that the climbers had just been benighted and spent the night out, as is rather typical with these kind of climbs. Still, the respectful and considerate thing to do would have been to post an update when the climbers made it back safe.