Did I get pwned?

snoboy

So here's the deal...

My pay as you go cell phone goes off, shows a "private number" and I answer.

The person at the other end says the are from 911 dispatch, and they had just gotten a call fom my number. Thing is I haven't dialed 911... they say maybe it was in my pocket and dialed itself - possible as my phone has really exposed buttons, and tends to dial random numbers if I leave it unlocked.

The caller asks for some info - my name... I gave it to them. :( Now I am wondering WTF?

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Look at the list of dialled numbers on your phone and it should tell you if 911 was dialled or not.

Yup, this will tell the story.

I could imagine 911 dispatch having a private number, they wouldn't be wanting you to dial that one instead of just using 911. They didn't ask you for your cascadeclimbers.com password, did they?

$50 says it was the Grim Reaper calling on behalf of the Obamacare Death Panel. :eek:

Yup! Thank God for call identification, few are dumb enough to answer a call titled: "GRIM REAPER CALLING".

Side note: If I screw up and answer that call Saturday: I want my buddies to sort through and grab a single piece each as a memory during my wake. Wake involves beer and tales. Then the gear gets ebayed.

$50 says it was the Grim Reaper calling on behalf of the Obamacare Death Panel. :eek:

Yup! Thank God for call identification, few are dumb enough to answer a call titled: "GRIM REAPER CALLING".

Side note: If I screw up and answer that call Saturday: I want my buddies to sort through and grab a single piece each as a memory during my wake. Wake involves beer and tales. Then the gear gets ebayed.

Dibs on the silent partner!

yeah, no 911 on my dialed numbers. I didn't give them anything except my name and cel number. I am sure the dispatch would have a blocked number...

911 dispatch around here is screwy enough (I deal with them on a semi regular basis at work) that I could see this being a legit screwup, but it seemed odd.

Heres how it will go down

They have your name, probably your full name.

The use the spoof card app

"..I call someone from my phone, and the person's caller ID displays a number that I intend them to see. My privacy is protected. Simple as that

http://www.spoofcard.com/t

They call someone like a credit card company from your phone tell them your info, which Birthday and all that should be easy now that they have your full name and get a card...

your fucked

Ive used the spoof card app...was pretty funny till it got out of hand.

I called my best friend around 11:30 at night, the spoof card also lets you disguise your voice.

So I choose a womens voice and I decide to display my friends home number and I call his cell.

Turns out he is in bed with his wife asleep, he looks over to see his cell ringing displaying his home number. He is confused, he picks up and I say in a womens voice "are you upstairs in bed?"

He replies yes but is also somewhat weirded out, after a few moments of me saying I am downstairs in your house..he starts screaming

"who the fuck is in my house, I am calling the cops right now, get the fuck out of my house..." His wife wakes up she is screaming..I am starting to freak out and I try and say hey dude its me..

but my voice is disguised...had to hang up call back and apologize profusely

I have been laughing ever since...but calling someone displaying 911 and telling them to run for their life would be a blast

hahahaha...good luck

Look at the list of dialled numbers on your phone and it should tell you if 911 was dialled or not.

boom badda bing...couples seconds and you'll have answer.

Probably the worst that will happen is this person who got some info from you will eventually sell it to some marketing company and then you will start getting marketing calls.