Peak bagging. why?

Rad

It's interesting to me to have a list of classic peaks instead of a list of classic routes. Example: classic peak list

I don't really understand the peak bagging thing. For me, climbing is more about the process than the endpoint. Case in point: ascend Mt Stuart via Cascadian vs the complete N Ridge. There may be other cases where the easiest route is a/the classic (Forbidden), but many where it is not.

Is it about cool locations? Getting off the beaten path? Ego and lists? I know some of you are into this. Anyone care to explain to the ignorant (me?)

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, there are a lot of dumber ways to pass your time on earth. Like toiling away at a job so you can buy consumable items.

But i'm thinking it is just a case of wanting to explore and see new territory. Also it probably has something to do with obsessive compulsive disorders.

Paul Klenke's way into this shit. He's cool thouugh, and a good souce of approach beta. When we did Castle peak last summer, I said besides the known ascentionists of the north face, I bet noone comes up here except Paul Klenke. Sure enough, there he was, one of the few people on the summit register.

I was a peakbagger for a long time. Started on the east coast and worked my way across the US. At the time it was fun. Now i have gotten bored with the racing and slogging. Not completely bored but bored enough that i wanted to change things up a bit and work on my dreams of alpine routes.

Many of my friends and partners are peakbaggers. Like the Buck trip. Frankiln bagged 12 peaks in 4 days! Matt bagged 7-8. Not small peaks either.

YES it is obsessive compulsive disorder. These folks won't stop moving! they don't know how to stop and relax. It is also a goal that many like to set for themselves. A challange to themselves and themselves only.

I think also it is the beauty of our state. So many different areas to see and play in.

then there is the exposed unroped class 4 scrambles that they all do. Some sketchy class 3-4 peaks out there. A good adrenaline rush.

ego...hmmm. Some yes, but most folks i know do it because they need to challenge themselves.

I agree, there's probably an element of obsessive compulsive in there somewhere - just gotta finish off all of the Teanaways. There's probably some ego in there too though I doubt it's a main factor for anyone - maybe. Trust me, it's not much of an ego booster when the response to your TR is "Oh great, another The Tooth trip report." LOL

For me it's about the fun factor and the setting or I wouldn't be climbing the same old 5.4 routes year after year :)

My "list" includes peaks but I'd prefer to take the best quality route up them (within my meager abilities).

Edited by spotly

Some of us like to mix it up a bit...some technical routes, some scrambles, some backpack trips where catching a cutthroat or just hanging out in a beautiful place is "the goal". In other words, some of us just like to be in the backcountry, in whatever style we feel like at the time. Some of us also have friends we like to hang with who are not technical climbers. Go figure.

Peak bagging is just a trick to get you into new and often amazing areas you might otherwise overlook. It can also require a level a high level of endurance; yet another aspect of this broad sport.

Take the Pasayten. If you're looking for high quality routes past the Cathredrals, good luck. It'll be your loss, however. The area is amazing: flowers, wildlife, solitude; the whole feel of the place.

Some of us also want to get to experience the backcountry here, ALL of it, in all its variety of forms, not just the relatively few areas that have quality technical routes.

And finally, regarding the umpteenth TR of Tooth syndrome, well, that TR might just offer entertaining writing and beautiful photos, or an innovative viewpoint or treatment, so why not? Reading them is voluntary, after all. In addition, that TR might be about someone's first climb. They're stoked, and they want to share that. Frankly, that keeps all our stoke going, IMO.

I've never gone out into the backcountry, not once, without experiencing something new and amazing. I never know what that will be when I set off, but such experiences don't seem to be correlated at all with the level of technical difficulty of the venture. The most beautiful wildflower meadow I've ever seen? Just below Oval Peak (what, not on your tick list?). The most amazing bear encounter? Just below mighty Plummer (Another MUST DO). It's just a matter of keeping your eyes open and letting it happen when it happens.

Edited by tvashtarkatena

They're big enough, fo sho.

The neighbor whacked two. My security challenged homemade worm bin has been replaced with a DHS approved plastic cone.

Got 3 traps set...the barbie is ready and waiting.

This little bastids are really messing with my peakbagging time....

Perhaps I can photograph them...

Edited by tvashtarkatena

Many of my friends and partners are peakbaggers. Like the Buck trip. Frankiln bagged 12 peaks in 4 days! Matt bagged 7-8. Not small peaks either.

THAT I don't get. I've been out with folks like this - you summit "early" and it's like "hey, what else can we bag nearby", whereas I am thinking "this went well, let's enjoy the summit, take it easy going down and get dinner and brews in town".

Well, the interweb ate my response. Here's the short version (add IMHO in front of each):

- I don't see technical routes as better than non-technical routes. Just different.

- I love wild places as much as anyone, but it's hard to find time as a working dad to get out into the mountains for more than a day or two at a time. I look forward to sharing these places with kids when they are older. For now, we'll poke around in creeks and woods closer to home, just like I did as a kid.

- There's no such thing as a bad TR, and TR quality has little to do with the difficulty of a route. CC could always use more TRs.

Good luck with the varmints!

I will pipe in a bit.

I am a certified peakbagger. It is totally about the different areas and the different approaches and the diffferent experiences.

I do a lot in one trip becuase I too work and have the family thing...so it is important I try to put in as many experiences as possible into one trip.

For example, restaurants. I try the best I can to NOT repeat a restaurant I have eaten at. There are so many out there, I would like to experience what each restaurant offers. Now some of you might want to go back to the same restaurant and try something new on the menu, that does not interest me...becuase I want to see the next one....I also do not take non climbing vacations to the same place.

There are so many places on this earth, and I want to experience as many as I possibly can with the one life I have.

It is a interesting perspective to focus on the new perspective rather than going with known quality.

I'll admit I don't have the peakbagger mentality. I like adventure, but I think I prefer quality over quantity, esp with the limited time I have to get out these days. Lucky for me, there is a ton of quality climbing to be done in the the NW that I haven't done yet.

I'm also not obsessed with putting up FAs as some are either, but thats another topic.

Quality can mean many things, particularly when you're talking about quality of experience. Quality of rock, line, pro, remoteness, larches, meadows, light, weather, snow, ice....

Plus, am I the only one who gets tired of lugging around a hardware store? It's a very freeing feeling to move through the backcountry and climb without all that crap. It's also kind of cool to arrive at a peak without much information, pick a line, and try it out. Sometimes you get surprised with a nice line, solid rock and really fun climbing that way.