Beacon Alert!: Wasps, Barf and Peregrines

MtnHigh

Maybe I'm just missing it, but where is the oak a problem out at Beacon other than having taken over the fine routes on the west side of Jensens Ridge? Poison Oak is a native species and protected throughout the park's habitat as such. But we have arrangments to mechanically work on it with them relative to established trails and routes. Spraying would be another matter all together, though I suspect targeted applications to specific problem vines on routes could be negotiated.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, where is all this problematic oak at that I'm missing?

Jensens of course, but central south area. Base of Blownout and the first pitch of Blownout. Rappelling will get your rope right in it when you pull it. Every year it seems to expand a bit.

BTW, I was just directly quoting the post above mine (without attribution) to be humorous, but there is some truth to it. Ozone is probably 5 degrees cooler, abiet shaded, insects I don't know about. Oak, all down the gorge everywhere. In fact, driving down SR14 right under the wires or anywhere the ground gets dug or disturbed it's generally wall to wall Poison Oak with a few spots where it doesn't appears, like where blackberries crowd too close for it.

Maybe I'm just missing it, but where is the oak a problem out at Beacon other than having taken over the fine routes on the west side of Jensens Ridge? Poison Oak is a native species and protected throughout the park's habitat as such. But we have arrangments to mechanically work on it with them relative to established trails and routes. Spraying would be another matter all together, though I suspect targeted applications to specific problem vines on routes could be negotiated.

you are a WANKER just incase you didn't know...

Base of Blownout and the first pitch of Blownout. Rappelling will get your rope right in it when you pull it. Every year it seems to expand a bit.

I don't recall seeing any poisen oak on blowout. However, that rats nest of bushes 60' up are still there waiting to tangle your ropes when you rap off. Happens every time.

I forgot to mention the blackberry nuisance. The base of Blowout has a tangle of the shit and there are itty bitty ones at the start of SE.

Beacon has absolutely gone to shit. I'm heading back to the zone for real climbing.

I forgot about that batch on the left side of the first pitch of Blownout - that is always a drag when you pull a rope down through it. But I did the Corner and FFA/Dods as well with no oak, didn't even see any.

Kevin - I've got absolutely nothing to do with it beyond wanting to reclaim the climbs on the other side of Jensens Ridge from those massive oak vines and then getting them out from under the closure; neither of which is going to happen without WSP and BRSP cooperation on both counts. As far as the rules around the oak, I'm just relaying the WSP Resource / Habitat Management rules around plant life in the park in general, poison oak included. Again, my only concern is having WSP cooperation on reclaiming those West face climbs and not having that face close each year.

But let me get this straight, you don't really care about the rules of States of Oregon and Washington - except you make a living off of the State of Oregon enforcing state laws and rules against others while your wife is a lawyer who makes her living off of the State of Washington and its laws. Oh, and you're great friends with Bryan, who is an environmental lawyer for the Oregon DEQ enforcing those rules. You know, you sure run your mouth off about being a Beacon bad boy and ignoring state laws and rules for a guy that lives off lording them over others every day - true, you don't wear a uniform and badge, but doesn't that make you just another dick?

Andrew, shut the fuck up and get a life. Jesus, you two are are a real online 69 of whine, and christ if you are still synchronizing your post counts.

the entire last pitch of the n side route is a oak-intensive zone and can only be dealt w/ by a spraying or a vast gang of ignorant negroes and chicanos

hybrid day! cragged at the zone in the shade till mid-evening, then went bath'n'drink'n at the boat launch at beacon till it was time for a run up the corner, topping out in the dark w/ geoff - just what the good doctor ordered! :)

But let me get this straight, you don't really care about the rules of States of Oregon and Washington - except you make a living off of the State of Oregon enforcing state laws and rules against others while your wife is a lawyer who makes her living off of the State of Washington and its laws. Oh, and you're great friends with Bryan, who is an environmental lawyer for the Oregon DEQ enforcing those rules. You know, you sure run your mouth off about being a Beacon bad boy and ignoring state laws and rules for a guy that lives off lording them over others every day - true, you don't wear a uniform and badge

JH....have you ever driven 56 in a 55? Law breaker!

As far as I know, the right to keep established climbs and trails clean is set policy - the issue here is the means. Clearly any mechanical cleaning is no problem. The use of herbicides is entirely another matter as is which ones, how, and where they are applied. I got into computers as a horticulturist attempting to automate greenhouses - I know a bit about plants, insecticides, and herbicides and can understand the SW Resource Steward's concern about their use in the park. Herbicides are not all equal in their efficacy, impact, or longevity.

The general issue of transparency is mainly a token of cooperation as there is not really anything that goes on out there the BRSP is unaware of - soloing, getting high, NW face camps, bolting, snow shoveling moss, etc - none of it is any news to the BRSP staff. The climbing and partying stuff they really don't care about unless it accidentally ends up in a situation they have to deal with. Anything that alters the rock or habitat is a different matter - they are professionals who live and work there and they do care about the place. All in all, spray swaths of the stuff and it also won't be a secret for long and it almost always comes down to them simply shaking their heads and going, 'you should have just come and talked with us about it."

But that doesn't mean we can't approach them and say we've run into a situation where mechanical means won't be adequate and we'd like to go chemical. I've already done that with regards to coming up with a strategy to permanently eliminate the massive vines from the West face routes left of Jensen's Ridge. Those vines are massive and for some stretches embedded into the cracks and aren't going to come out easily or without a combination of cutting, chemicals, and chiseling. We didn't get to the cleaning last winter, but the BRSP response was let's get together with Lisa (the Resource Steward) and talk about it which hopefully we'll do this coming winter when I hope those vines can be dealt with. If we have problem spots/areas we think need to be dealt with there is no reason for not going up and simply talking with them about it being a real problem. Particularly in light of the loss of the lines left of Jensen's Ridge.

EDIT: Note I've had to explicitly ask the last several years that the climbers' trail NOT be weed-wacked for four feet on either side because it attracts tourists down the trail like a magnet when that's been done. Personally, I find clear-cutting by weed-wacking to be pretty high impact even if it's a mechanical means; the point being the BRSP staff is completely sympathetic with the idea of keeping trails (and climbs) clean and clear.

The Beacon Peregrines were dive bombing and squawking all day Saturday. Good to see them there. I don't mind waiting for them to fledge. They were there long before humans decided to take up rock climbing.

My understanding is these birds were planted on Beacon Rock as some sort of rehab project long after climbing had been taking place. Anyone care to explain in greater detail about this project?

I hate being injured, reading this site pales in comparison to actual climbing. :( Many laughs though.

• 2 weeks later...
FYI - There is also a wasp nest at the Five & Dime wall on the last move or two of Sufficiently Breathless... Little bastards got me today. It is a small hive just past the last clump of grass/flowers before you can get your hands on the exit ledge

After tagging the leader a couple of times we extricated :poke: the wasps from Sufficiently Breathless on Thursday. May you all climb in peace and happiness. ;)

FYI - There is also a wasp nest at the Five & Dime wall on the last move or two of Sufficiently Breathless... Little bastards got me today. It is a small hive just past the last clump of grass/flowers before you can get your hands on the exit ledge

After tagging the leader a couple of times we extricated :poke: the wasps from Sufficiently Breathless on Thursday. May you all climb in peace and happiness. ;)

:tup:

Thanks! Who is gonna, or already has, taken care of the wasps on Jills?