Is Mount Stuart Technicle?

Josh Lewis

Feel free to hate me as long as you live.

I hope that it is a very long time but I have my doubts.

Cheers Josh.

I don't hate anyone. Your not even on my sorta bad list... I was well just a little offended when you through in the words fool. :laf::rolleyes:

You have your doubts about me living long? I'll show you!

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So you can arrest in all 4 possible fall scenarios (head up facing in, head up facing out, head down facing in, head down facing out)? How about with a huge pack? If so, sounds like Mt. Adams South Route is completely within your ability. I think you would get much better responses if you were asking about that route than something like Stuart or Rainier. People here have a keen ability to know when someone is inquiring about a climb way above their skill level (and you haven't made that very difficult).

Yes, I know the diffrent arrest moves. I even tought some of them to my friends, although they didn't do the upside down backwords one, but I demenstrated it to them, and they did the main one. As for asking about Adams, no one seemed to want to go with me. I noticed Adams did not work, but all of a sudden I asked for Rainier and wooo got some replies... or atleast back then. I got up to the False Summit of Mount Adams, the only reason I turned around was due to ice, which we had no crampons and it was icy late in season, and early in the morning.

Well, it looks like you need to go back to Adams to get the true summit and add that one to your resume.

By the way, it's the summer and you're 16. Shouldn't you be out chasing poon?

Well the extra summit well, it would look good on my rep, as for chasing poon... what is that?

Well, it looks like you need to go back to Adams to get the true summit and add that one to your resume.

Well the extra summit well, it would look good on my rep, as for chasing poon... what is that?

:lmao::D:lmao:

You may know her better as Ms. Tang.

Great thread Josh, be careful of fame though. Don't climb to impress anyone else, it will get you in trouble quick.

Really good story, the biking to Columbia Peak. Don't listen to the naysayers, it sounds like you're doing okay, just be careful. You have been learning from your mistakes correct? You learned that a foam pad is necessary when bivying on snow. And it sounds like you knew when to turn around which is important.

Let me point out some other mistakes you're making, because I don't think you realize them.

The cramping and susceptibility to cold is from dehydration, you need to drink more water. Drink before you eat cuz water absorption goes down when you eat, and maybe shed layers quicker before you sweat. You should be down to just shorts on a summer approach if you start to really sweat. Drinking water from streams is taking chances, I do it all the time, but some argue against it cuz of giardia. Usually the melt right at the bottom of snowfields and glaciers is safe. But 6 water bottles and carrying 9 pounds of water on Rainier is way too much, you need a small stove, and melt snow as you go.

Taco Bell is garbage food, it's not in a top notch athletes diet. IF you're going to eat fast food, Taco Time is a little better. But any fast food has way too much salt which doesn't help with hydration. At your age it's ok after a climb but it's not a positive thing before a climb or on a bike approach.

Look at the weather forecast before you leave home and pay attention to it. If you're online here posting you can go online and get a weather forecast.

There's nothing wrong with Cascadian Couloir on Stuart. Sure it's the walk-up but it's a good thing to do the walk-up first if you're ever going to do a technical route on Stuart, that way you know the descent which is the most important part of any climb.

When you talk about finding the trail after crossing snow on Columbia, that's called routefinding instinct. You need that near the top of Stuart because it sort of winds around some obstacles near the top on the summit ridge. Always look back as you go up, so you know what it looks like going down, especially as you go around obstacles, turn corners etc.

Maybe think about a bivy sack when the weather is ok, lighter than a tent.

I wouldn't even do Stuart if it's going to rain, lightning and rockfall even in the Cascadian, and low visibility off route can put you out on steeper ground when you're coming down.

At your age and experience I wouldn't try to do Stuart in one day. Make it at least two and that's not counting any bike approach LOLZ!

I would avoid Rainier unless you've got at least 2 or 3 experienced adults on the trip. And that means a high level of experience. The objective hazard is just really high, and the fitness level is tough for a 16 yo. Rainier is at another level compared to the other volcanoes. And clue Taco Bell ain't the training fuel for Rainier.

And while your bouncing around the house for a month between climbs, stop procrastinating and fix the brakes on your bike. Alpine climbing is about having your gear straight as much as it is about anything.

Did you have all the pack weight on your back when you were biking? If you did that's the hard way to go and wastes a lot of energy. Get just a little cheapy rack and put all your heavy stuff in a sleeping bag stuff sack and bungie that on the rack.

as for chasing poon... what is that?

WTF!! You can't be serious!!

When I was 16 all I could think about was my skateboard and POON! The Skateboard (and knowing how to do all the cool tricks on the fly-away ramp) helped get the skate-poon... Ahhhh the days.

Drinking shoulder tapped beer, with the hot skater-poon, and riding the Fishbanks at De Anza park.... If I could go back in time...

Edited by Frikadeller

as for chasing poon... what is that?

WTF!! You can't be serious!!

When I was 16 all I could think about was my skateboard and POON! The Skateboard (and knowing how to do all the cool tricks on the fly-away ramp) helped get the skate-poon... Ahhhh the days.

Drinking shoulder tapped beer, with the hot skater-poon, and riding the Fishbanks at De Anza park.... If I could go back in time...

Ahh the glory days...one bad thing about climbing at such a young age is that you miss out on a lot of good old-fashioned hs fun lol

Wait, do we want him to be this obsessed about girls that are way out of his league? Won't that result in a handful of restraining orders?

Well, I am a guy who doesn't seek pretty girls, but ones that have similar passions of me. That's what makes it hard. But it may work out some day. Out of my league.... :laf: if they said that, then clearly they were not the girl I was looking for.

My God.. I just read some of his TR's. I thought I sometimes did weird things in the mountains.. but never like THAT!!!!!!

Wierd things.... like what?! Now you gotta remember, I'm one of the craziest guys I know. Nowatleast I accept that I'm crazy, and I'll probably always be crazy! Gahahahhahahahhahaha! Perhaps yout jealous that you didn't get to have several crazy adventures.... man I love being me! Although sometimes it's well fun. The crazier it gets, the funner it gets!

haha!! marc!! Don't say i didn't warn ya all... ;)

he is a good kid. Just needs to slow down and guidance! A LOT!!! hah!

If I slow it down... now how would I do Denali in a few years. I guess I could always settle for Aconcagua, and then in my mid 20's go for Denali... but that's way too long, a life time away! As for Rainier, I suppose I'll wait for next year.... :rolleyes: uggggg

Edited by Josh Lewis

My God.. I just read some of his TR's. I thought I sometimes did weird things in the mountains.. but never like THAT!!!!!!

Wierd things.... like what?! Now you gotta remember, I'm one of the craziest guys I know. Nowatleast I accept that I'm crazy, and I'll probably always be crazy! Gahahahhahahahhahaha! Perhaps yout jealous that you didn't get to have several crazy adventures.... man I love being me! Although sometimes it's well fun. The crazier it gets, the funner it gets!

haha!! marc!! Don't say i didn't warn ya all... ;)

he is a good kid. Just needs to slow down and guidance! A LOT!!! hah!

If I slow it down... now how would I do Denali in a few years. I guess I could always settle for Aconcagua, and then in my mid 20's go for Denali... but that's way too long, a life time away! As for Rainier, I suppose I'll wait for next year.... :rolleyes: uggggg

It may feel like "a lifetime" from now, but it's going to be even harder to do Denali when you are dead before from being proud of being "crazy" and getting in over your head. Granted, it'll probably turn out fine, but just give yourself a reality check. You're young, and you'll have time, lots of it! Just chill out, listen to some of the advice, and enjoy the journey of learning and working your way up rather than having tunnel vision and only seeing the end goal.

You obviously have the drive, energy and desire, its up to you if you let that get you in trouble or truly succeed. :) Until then, get outside as much as you can even if it is just to go scope out approaches or new areas. You'll develop better outdoor skils and get excercise while being somewhere you enjoy.

Always settle for Aconcagua?? Josh you need to learn some respect. Mountains, and your choices in them, could kill you in a minute.

How are you expecting to get up Aconcagua or Denali if you are having issues on much smaller mountains? You should re-read all 9 pages and your other various posts and see what other vastly more experienced people are suggesting to you.

Edited by Maine-iac