Why Rock Climbing rules......

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I went out with my formerly non-accredited mountain guide yesterday and was reminded how much slab climbing is fun terrification. For me the angle swings back and from vertical to 45 degrees to almost level ground without warning. One moment its easy and the next moment levitation is required.

- pressing pertinent problem-solving

- it appeals to the heart of exploration

- the way my body feels afterward

- it's pleasing and less painful when you avail yourself to the alternative of banging your head against it found in much of the remainder of life.

It rules because of:

- the challenge

- the risks

- the rewards

- the adventure

- the friends

- the location

- the isolation

- the exposure

- the spraying

- the gear

- the bolts

- the routes

- the scenery

- the fact that it isn't football, or baseball, or basketball, or soccer, or golf, or tennis or anything else involving the senseless manipulation of a ball!!

Ken Purdy's Book of Automobiles had a character named Helmut Ovden, who was quoted as saying the following: "There are three sports - bullfighting, motor racing, and mountain climbing; all the rest are recreations." (Ovden is modeled after Hemingway and this quote is often mistaken as one of Hemingway's - as I had done)

Yes, rock climbing definitely rules. :rocken:

Edited by LostCamKenny

it rules because when I'm doing it I don't have to read Kevbone's infuriatingly inane posts.

Ban the douche please.

how judgmental of you.

Did you know what "inane" meant or did you have to put down your drool cup and look it up?

Be honest.

It rules because of:

- the challenge

- the risks

- the rewards

- the adventure

- the friends

- the location

- the isolation

- the exposure

- the spraying

- the gear

- the bolts

- the routes

- the scenery

- the fact that it isn't football, or baseball, or basketball, or soccer, or golf, or tennis or anything else involving the senseless manipulation of a ball!!

Ken Purdy's Book of Automobiles had a character named Helmut Ovden, who was quoted as saying the following: "There are three sports - bullfighting, motor racing, and mountain climbing; all the rest are recreations." (Ovden is modeled after Hemingway and this quote is often mistaken as one of Hemingway's - as I had done)

Ya but rock climbing sure isn't mountain climbing.

It rules because of:

- the challenge

- the risks

- the rewards

- the adventure

- the friends

- the location

- the isolation

- the exposure

- the spraying

- the gear

- the bolts

- the routes

- the scenery

Ya but rock climbing sure isn't mountain climbing.

Are we splitting hairs here, PP?

I thought the quote was:

"There are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games."

The key to the quote being the 3 are sports and the rest are "games"...

Frankly, mountaineering and the the whole lot of similar activities are a "selfish waste of time." But then this girl I know says everything we (humans) do is a waste of time...

I thought the quote was:

"There are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games."

The key to the quote being the 3 are sports and the rest are "games"...

That's what I thought the quote was too, but when I went back to confirm my knowledge on the matter I was quick to discover that I was not wrong just inaccurate (so, wrong :grin:)

But I'm glad that someone sees my point on the sports vs. games comparison, here. :tup: What I was trying to say with that quote was that sports test ones will and the score is not a tally of numbers or points, but a test of life. And if one survives then one wins - likewise, if one dies then one loses. Games keep score with numbers, and one could argue that auto racing keeps a close eye on the stopwatch, but ultimately the driver's life is at risk, just as the matador's life is up against the bull and the climber's life (whether on ROCK, SNOW, OR ICE) is also at risk. The method of scoring in all three depends on whether or not death occurs.

I enjoy the jingle-jangle sound of gear bumping and grinding. On nights when I'm restless and sleep is off visiting other people, I like to slip on my harness, clip on some gear, and gently sway my hips....so nice and delicate.

Yeah, nothing like the sound of an old figure 8 clanking against biners and ATCs to woo you to sleep...