President Palin? WTF?

billcoe

• Replies 342
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am under 45 years old, I love the outdoors, I hunt, I am a Republican reformer. I have taken on the Republican Party establishment, I have many children, I have a spot on the national ticket as vice president with less than two years in the governor's office.

I am Theodore Roosevelt, in 1900 (ironically, the Bull Moose)

Um, no, not even close to an accurate representation of the man, and a laughable comparison between these two non-equals.

TR entered politics when he was 23. Aside from a few years ranching and soldiering, he was a nationally known politician his entire adult life. By the time he was offered the VP slot, he was a national hero.

TR was also a highly cultured and educated intellectual. Raised in a prominent Manhattan family, there was nothing podunk about him. He excelled at Harvard, was fluent in several languages including latin and ancient Greek, authored over 30 books, including a national best selling series on the winning of the West, loved literature and poetry, in addition to being a gifted athlete and naturalist. As for his hunting; he couldn't hit the broad side of a barn because of his poor eyesight. Most of all, he was deeply embued with a social consience; he was the first president to reign in the unchecked power of big busines, and the first to side with a union during a strike. He also firmly believed in helping the poor.

Sarah Palin is none of these things.

Edited by tvashtarkatena

Paul Theroux on Henry David Thoreau on moose hunting for votes.

All this talk about moose hunting! It is as though, because of the animal's enormous size and imposing antlers, bringing one down is a heroic feat of marksmanship. Nothing could be further from the truth. As Henry David Thoreau wrote in The Maine Woods, killing these big, gentle, myopic creatures is more "like going out by night to some woodside pasture and shooting your neighbour's horses".

Thoreau's descriptions of the moose he saw in Maine are inspired and fanciful: "They made me think of great frightened rabbits"; "It reminded me at once of the camelopard". And he alludes to the moose's "branching and leafy horns - a sort of fucus or lichen in bone". In all these descriptions there is affection and awe. The killing of a moose is in Thoreau's view always a tragedy. He witnessed one being shot, and "nature looked sternly upon me on account of the murder of the moose". In another passage, Thoreau grudgingly acknowledges that moose are hunted by Indians out of necessity - for their meat, for their hides, as part of Indian custom and tradition. This was in 1853...

...While people cheered, Palin was lauded for knowing how to "field-dress" a moose. Thoreau, who watched such an operation take place, wrote: "Joe [his Penobscot guide] now proceeded to skin the moose with a pocket knife, while I looked on, and a tragical business it was; to see that still warm and palpitating body pierced with a knife, to see the warm milk stream from the rent udder, and the ghastly naked red carcass appearing from within its seemly robe." I read that and somehow am not provoked to cheer.

In one of the great passages in the Chesuncook chapter, Thoreau writes how the moose and the pine tree are linked in his mind. "A pine cut down, a dead pine, is no more a pine than a dead human carcass is a man." And he anticipated the environmental movement when he spoke of the "petty and accidental uses" of whales and elephants, turned into "buttons and flageolets". He continues: "Every creature is better alive than dead, men and moose and pine trees, and he who understands it aright will rather preserve life than destroy it."

""Poorole - looks like you are--once again--a victim of that DNC""

the list is false, Palins desire to censor the library is not. She asked the head librarian if she would be agreeable to removing/banning books. When the librarian refused she had her terminated. A local uproar ensued and the librarian was reinstated.

Sounds like O better be more careful. Aren't eggshells fun?

Then again, at some point you have to ask yourself "is any of this really worth saving". I think a lot of people will be asking this question about the US if enough Americans and the electoral college fall for this two-bit junk show.

for the third time even. Proof this country has been DUMBED DOWN!

I am under 45 years old, I love the outdoors, I hunt, I am a Republican reformer. I have taken on the Republican Party establishment, I have many children, I have a spot on the national ticket as vice president with less than two years in the governor's office.

Um, no, not even close to an accurate representation of the man, and a laughable comparison between these two non-equals.

TR entered politics when he was 23. Aside from a few years ranching and soldiering, he was a nationally known politician his entire adult life. By the time he was offered the VP slot, he was a national hero.

TR was also a highly cultured and educated intellectual. Raised in a prominent Manhattan family, there was nothing podunk about him. He excelled at Harvard, was fluent in several languages including latin and ancient Greek, authored over 30 books, including a national best selling series on the winning of the West, loved literature and poetry, in addition to being a gifted athlete and naturalist. As for his hunting; he couldn't hit the broad side of a barn because of his poor eyesight. Most of all, he was deeply embued with a social consience; he was the first president to reign in the unchecked power of big busines, and the first to side with a union during a strike. He also firmly believed in helping the poor.

Come on, the GOP always picks the stupid ones, the controlling corps know they make better puppets.

Bill Clinton, Rhodes scholar (didn't graduate but only 35 Americans receive this scholorship annually).

Obama magna-cum-laude doctorate. First black president of Harvard law revue.

McCain. Graduated 6th from the bottom in a class of 899 at the Naval Academy

Palin. 6 colleges in 5 years just to earn a 4 year Journalism degree. Maybe she had to college shop to find someone willing to pass an F student. Or she ran through the football team and wanted new meat.

As new mayor of Wasilla 6,000 pop at the time, was proud to announce she took a pay cut. Didn't mention she hired a manager to do the mayor job and the total wage was more than the original. In other words she couldn't even handle mayor of podunk.

Obama was dead on about the pig lipstick comment, but Palin isn't the pig. She's the lipstick and McCain and the repug party is the pig. Empty fake gloss to pretty up a stinking rotten corpse of a party.

The seemingly inexplicable popularity of McCain is actually quite understandable given our present troubled times, and the almost certainty of worse times ahead. McCain's supporters don't actually want change; they want to return to a better past. This is impossible, of course, but McCain implicitly offers it by promising a victory in Iraq that will continue to elude us forever, and claiming that our economy is strong when it is collapsing.

After all, this is what conservatism is all about; either trying to maintain a crumbling status quo or returning to a past that never was. It requires a belief in various myths that exceeds one's own survival instincts which, after all, require a certain sense of reality to be effective.

McCain's supporters don't want to have to DO anything to fix the country; they'd rather pretend that things will go back to normal if they just continue to DO NOTHING, and they support the candidate that reinforces that day dream.

McCain supporters certainly include the most ignorant half of the country, which explains why the GOP continues to field unaccomplished, folksy, and downright stupid candidates, but this constituency also includes the half with the greatest sense of entitlement to continue living the same life they grew up with, despite a rapidly changing world.

Edited by tvashtarkatena

Come on, the GOP always picks the stupid ones, the controlling corps know they make better puppets.

Bill Clinton, Rhodes scholar (didn't graduate but only 35 Americans receive this scholorship annually).

Obama magna-cum-laude doctorate. First black president of Harvard law revue.

McCain. Graduated 6th from the bottom in a class of 899 at the Naval Academy

Palin. 6 colleges in 5 years just to earn a 4 year Journalism degree. Maybe she had to college shop to find someone willing to pass an F student. Or she ran through the football team and wanted new meat.

As new mayor of Wasilla 6,000 pop at the time, was proud to announce she took a pay cut. Didn't mention she hired a manager to do the mayor job and the total wage was more than the original. In other words she couldn't even handle mayor of podunk.

Obama was dead on about the pig lipstick comment, but Palin isn't the pig. She's the lipstick and McCain and the repug party is the pig. Empty fake gloss to pretty up a stinking rotten corpse of a party.

"Duh, but they're just like me!"

Where's Steven Seagal? This woman thinks she's above the law.

A campaign spokesman says Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin won't speak with an investigator hired by lawmakers to look into the firing of her public safety commissioner.

McCain campaign spokesman Ed O'Callaghan told a news conference Monday that the governor, the Republican nominee for vice president, will not cooperate as long as the investigation "remains tainted." He said he doesn't know whether Palin's husband would challenge a subpoena issued to compel his cooperation.

Like to see what would happen if a regular citizen "just like you and me" tried this stunt.

A campaign spokesman says Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin won't speak with an investigator hired by lawmakers to look into the firing of her public safety commissioner.

McCain campaign spokesman Ed O'Callaghan told a news conference Monday that the governor, the Republican nominee for vice president, will not cooperate as long as the investigation "remains tainted." He said he doesn't know whether Palin's husband would challenge a subpoena issued to compel his cooperation.

Thats just her bringing "reform" to government. I mean, its not like there have been THAT many repugnicans who failed to cooperate with investigations right? :rolleyes:

I was trying only to get into the swing of normal political posts here of partial & erroneous facts and bumper-sticker sound bites.

Now, I know why you do it. It's kind of fun - in a dishonest sort of way.