Holy F - It's about to break ugly for Barak

billcoe

Shades and shadows of Willie Horton and Swiftboating.

Link

You'd think that this is about as ugly as it gets, but it's just the opening salvo, wonder if they are letting loose with all the guns, or keeping some powder dry?

"Group to spend $2.8 million on anti-Obama ad

By JIM KUHNHENN, Associated Press Writer Thu Aug 21, 8:12 PM ET

WASHINGTON - A conservative nonprofit group with a past link to Sen. John McCain's presidential campaign wants to spend $2.8 million on an ad questioning Democrat Barack Obama's relationship to a founder of the 1960s radical group Weather Underground.

The ad, which is expected to begin airing Thursday in Michigan and Friday in Ohio, focuses on William Ayers, whose Weatherman organization took credit for a series of bombings, including nonfatal explosions at the Pentagon and U.S. Capitol four decades ago.

American Issues Project, the sponsor of the ad, is a nonprofit 501©4 organization. One of its board members, Ed Failor Jr., was a paid consultant for McCain's campaign in Iowa last year. The campaign paid his firm $50,000 until July 2007. American Issues Project spokesman Christian Pinkston said Failor has no connection to the McCain campaign now.

The ad signals the emergence of the type of tough advertising by independent organizations that operate outside the financial limits of campaign finance law. It is reminiscent of the Swift Boat ads aired against John Kerry four years ago questioning his military service and are widely blamed by Democrats for contributing to his defeat.

Organizers sought to air the ad on Fox News Channel, but a Fox spokesman said the network declined to run it. He would not say why.

Ayers is now a professor at the University of Illinois at Chicago. He and Obama live in Chicago's Hyde Park neighborhood and served together on the board of the Woods Fund, a Chicago-based charity that develops community groups to help the poor. Obama left the board in December 2002.

Obama also was the first chairman of the Chicago Annenberg Challenge, a school reform group of which Ayers was a founder. Ayers also held a meet-the-candidate event at his home for Obama when Obama first ran for office in the mid-1990s.

"Barack Obama is friends with Ayers, defending him as, quote, 'Respectable' and 'Mainstream,'" the ad states. "Obama's political career was launched in Ayers' home. And the two served together on a left-wing board. Why would Barack Obama be friends with someone who bombed the Capitol and is proud of it? Do you know enough to elect Barack Obama?"

Obama's campaign accused McCain of having a hand in the ad, saying he "dispatched his paid consultant to launch this despicable ad from a so-called 'independent' committee." Federal Election Commission records show the last payment from McCain's campaign to Failor's consulting firm, Targeted Consulting, was July 2, 2007.

"Instead of invoking Paris, Britney and obscure sixties radicals, Sen. McCain should take the day off at one of his seven homes to consider whether his support for outsourcing, tax breaks for companies who ship jobs overseas and continued spending of $10 billion a month in Iraq is really putting 'country first,'" Obama spokesman Tommy Vietor said.

Obama has distanced himself from the radical activity of the Weather Underground. In an interview with "Fox News Sunday" in April, Obama said he "deplored" Ayers' actions in the 1960s.

"Mr. Ayers is a 60-plus-year-old individual who lives in my neighborhood, who did something that I deplore 40 years ago when I was 6 or 7 years old," Obama said then. "By the time I met him, he is a professor of education at the University of Illinois. We served on a board together that had Republicans, bankers, lawyers, focused on education."

This week, the University of Illinois refused to release records relating to Obama's service on the Chicago Annenberg Exchange. The university said the donor of the records that document the charity's work has not yet turned over ownership rights to the material.

The university said it is "aggressively pursuing" an agreement with the donor and will open the collection to the public as soon as one is finalized.

Obama's campaign has said the senator does not have control over these records.

The ad is the first for the American Issues Project. As a nonprofit organization, the group can raise unlimited amounts of contributions, unlike political action committees that are governed by campaign finance laws.

Pinkston, the group's spokesman, said it will identify contributions used to pay for the ad.

McCain in the past has criticized independent groups, even those that support him, that air negative campaign ads.

In a statement, Failor, who is executive vice president of Iowans for Tax Relief, said: "When the American public fully understands the close, continuing relationship between their potential president and a remorseless domestic terrorist, we believe it will send a chill down their spines."

Ayers was a fugitive for years with his wife, fellow radical Bernadine Dohrn. But after surrendering in 1980, the charges against Ayers were dropped because of prosecutorial misconduct. "

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

It looks like it started this way.

Link

"Obama Brings a Knife to a Gunfight

Tom Bevan Wed Aug 20, 9:30 PM ET

Two months ago Obama declared of the McCain campaign, "If they bring a knife to the fight, we bring a gun." And while Obama has sharpened his message of late, today he pulled out a pocketknife and McCain responded by pulling out a .44 Magnum.

The Obama campaign sent out an email announcing they were releasing a new ad in Georgia linking McCain to Ralph Reed and, by association, Jack Abramoff. Here it is:

Brian Rogers, spokesman for the McCain campaign, fired back with this:

"Barack Obama's ad is ridiculous. Because of John McCain, corruption was exposed and people like Jack Abramoff went to jail.

However, if Barack Obama wants to have a discussion about truly questionable associations, let's start with his relationship with the unrepentant terrorist William Ayers, at whose home Obama's political career was reportedly launched. Mr. Ayers was a leader of the Weather Underground, a terrorist group responsible for countless bombings against targets including the U.S. Capitol, the Pentagon and numerous police stations, courthouses and banks. In recent years, Mr. Ayers has stated, 'I don't regret setting bombs... I feel we didn't do enough.'

"The question now is, will Barack Obama immediately call on the University of Illinois to release all of the records they are currently withholding to shed further light on Senator Obama's relationship with this unrepentant terrorist?"

Ouch. The Obama camp had better bring some more firepower to the next fight or put on a flak jacket - or both."

A prominent Philadelphia attorney and Hillary Clinton supporter filed suit this afternoon in the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania against Illinois Sen. Barack Obama, the Democratic National Committee and the Federal Election Commission. The action seeks an injunction preventing the senator from continuing his candidacy and a court order enjoining the DNC from nominating him next week, all on grounds that Sen. Obama is constitutionally ineligible to run for and hold the office of President of the United States.

-- Obama sued in Philly federal court on grounds he is constitutionally ineligible for the presidency.

An overarching question might be, are we going to fall prey to the swift boat liar/willy horton type of tactics polititians have used in the past to win elections at any cost?

Can we be discerning enough to make the right choice this time?

I guess, in the end analysis, anyone is better than bush. Given that, the upside to this election is overwhelming.

d

Yeah, better to elect the sleazy adulterous plane crashing senile party suck up boy.

And one with a temper as well. I don't like the choice at all, but if Obama picks my boy Biden for VP, it will be an easier choice. As far as Dougs statement that will the voters be swayed, unfortunatly yes. However, many of the people who would be shocked by Obama knowing, liking and socializing with a weather underground leader, already are committed to McCain, so maybe it won't sway lots of voters. This is much bigger deal than the rev Wright issue IMO.

"Mr. Ayers is a 60-plus-year-old individual who lives in my neighborhood, who did something that I deplore 40 years ago when I was 6 or 7 years old," Obama said then.

This pretty much sums it up.

I don't think so. For others, this would be a different summation: "Mr. Ayers was a leader of the Weather Underground, a terrorist group responsible for countless bombings against targets including the U.S. Capitol, the Pentagon and numerous police stations, courthouses and banks. In recent years, Mr. Ayers has stated, 'I don't regret setting bombs... I feel we didn't do enough.'"

You realize that on occasion, despite trying to avoid it, the Weather underground bombs hurt innocent people. I don't want to go revisit the Vietnam War, but this will put Obama in a pinch if he is still supportive of this gentleman.

We'll see how it plays, but BO will be spending some time repudiating some of this for a while I imagine.

"As far as Dougs statement that will the voters be swayed, unfortunatly yes."

"We" don't have to be, if "we" at least make the effort to see through the bullshit.

And, for the record, how many of us fine upstanding citizens are reflecting on some of the things we did 20 or 40 years ago and shaking our heads and wondering how we survived... The point being we're different people now, and deserve to be judged based on who we are now and what we may be doing for our respective communities, not to mention our country.

d

It just seems rather odd how many of these shady alliances are had by Obama. One or two? Sure. There are quite a few shady shady people in Obama's life that make me a little more than curious about his intentions.

I hate the choice we are given this term. It is like "Giant Douche" or "Turd Sandwich." If this is the best our country can offer, I can see why there are some that don't take us seriously at all.

"As far as Dougs statement that will the voters be swayed, unfortunatly yes."

"We" don't have to be, if "we" at least make the effort to see through the bullshit.

And, for the record, how many of us fine upstanding citizens are reflecting on some of the things we did 20 or 40 years ago and shaking our heads and wondering how we survived... The point being we're different people now, and deserve to be judged based on who we are now and what we may be doing for our respective communities, not to mention our country.

d

I think there is a difference between smoking some reefer and free-soloing some shit in Leavenworth and trying to blow up federal buildings and killing innocent people.

I dunno, I think that terrorism is a little more dangerous. Also, it is hard to believe such deeply seated ideals (allowing one to blow up innocent people) would not be as easy to get rid of as a ganja habit.

The association appears to have been limited. They shared time on a board that does a lot of good for their (and other) communities. The guy ended up being a supporter. Note that the charges against this person were dropped per prosecutorial misconduct. The man was not convicted of anything. Until he is convicted in a court of law for "blowing up innocent people" and/or "trying to blow up Federal buildings" let's give the guy the benefit of the doubt. Your use of the very popular "terrorism" phrase, and attaching it to this person is no more than an opinion based on what you have heard by way of the media and this board and carries no weight in a meaningful discussion.

BTW, your attorney general recently stated that firing US Attorneys due to their political affiliation alone is not a crime... Crime is apparently subjective to this administration...

I personally don't care who the next president is. Just ready for some kind of change at the top.

d

Until he is convicted in a court of law for "blowing up innocent people" and/or "trying to blow up Federal buildings" let's give the guy the benefit of the doubt.

Give him the benefit of the doubt? WTF - only if this quote was a fabrication do you let it go: "In recent years, Mr. Ayers has stated, 'I don't regret setting bombs... I feel we didn't do enough.'" Maybe he didn't get prosecuted, but he's admitting it and embellishing it.

It doesn't reflect bad on Obama ...depending on what is said and done going forward....but the campaign looks to be heading south fast in the mud slinging dept.

I sadly find myself agreeing with ALKELTE "I hate the choice we are given this term. It is like "Giant Douche" or "Turd Sandwich." "

Maybe I don't feel it so strongly, as both of these fellas do have some good qualities, but I have doubts on both of them, big ones.

It just seems rather odd how many of these shady alliances are had by Obama. One or two? Sure. There are quite a few shady shady people in Obama's life that make me a little more than curious about his intentions.

I hate the choice we are given this term. It is like "Giant Douche" or "Turd Sandwich." If this is the best our country can offer, I can see why there are some that don't take us seriously at all.

time for fundamental political reform? like 2 party bullshit! with society so diverse i find it strange to have 2 choices.

I think there is a difference between smoking some reefer and free-soloing some shit in Leavenworth and trying to blow up federal buildings and killing innocent people.

I dunno, I think that terrorism is a little more dangerous. Also, it is hard to believe such deeply seated ideals (allowing one to blow up innocent people) would not be as easy to get rid of as a ganja habit.

Here we go. I assume you're talking about the old guy and not Obama, who was in what, 2nd grade when that was going on? This is more of the right-wingers vacant attempts to conduct the usual character assination. Damn. When we have so many serious issues to put on the table and debate it's pathetic that this kinda crap comes up every election cycle.

And no, I'm not confident in the ability of Americans to filter this stuff and critically analyze the issues. Look who was voted in for two terms.

Here we go. I assume you're talking about the old guy and not Obama, who was in what, 2nd grade when that was going on? This is more of the right-wingers vacant attempts to conduct the usual character assination. Damn. When we have so many serious issues to put on the table and debate it's pathetic that this kinda crap comes up every election cycle.

And no, I'm not confident in the ability of Americans to filter this stuff and critically analyze the issues. Look who was voted in for two terms.

Gotta laugh at how you simultaneously mockingly refer to McCain as the "old guy" and then whine like a little girl about "character assassination" w/r/t your candidate. Typical libturd hypocrisy.

Gotta laugh at how you simultaneously mockingly refer to McCain as the "old guy" and then whine like a little girl about "character assassination" w/r/t your candidate. Typical libturd hypocrisy.

ummm, i think he was talking about the mr ayers, not mccain.....

would this qualify as a typical right-wing knee-jerk?

Now that you've joined in with Jimbo it's a full on libturd circle-jerk.

Now that you've joined in with Jimbo it's a full on libturd circle-jerk.

Oh....I want to join....spank spank spank