Wherever you were, go back there next weekend

builder206

While we're on the subject of chomper dogs, I have a story some of you might appreciate.

Anybody here ever hear of the Darrington Mountain Man? He was an escaped murder from Bulgaria, and he lived in a hole under a stump on an outlier ridge of Whitehorse Mountain for years and years. He stole food from homes down below in the Swede Haven area and they never could catch him until they used some kind of motion detector set to monitor a trail they thought he was using.

Sure enough, the alarm rang one night and Snohomish County's finest went out there and nailed him. Trouble is, they brought a bad dog with them. They had bought a discount police dog from Lewis County or some other outfit who had found they couldn't control the dog and had to get rid of it. The damn thing nearly chewed off the bad guy's foot.

After the arrest, the murderer sued Snohomish County and won a large award because they had reason to know the dog would hurt somebody and it did. Then the homeowners who he'd broken into were able to sue him or collect criminal restitution with the funds he would never otherwise have had.

Snohomish County probably didn't buy any more bad dogs after that, the murderer went to jail, and the victims got compensated.

And some of you around here complain about our justice system!

Seattle Times

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

YOu my dear Bug are breedist. thats the same as being racist if you ask me

I may be a breedist but mostly I am a sizist. Big dogs of most breeds will act as the dominant pack leader. Children and most adults do not understand this. All I am saying is "keep your ("you" as in all dog owners) dogs under control" and I will do my best to stay out of your way and keep my children out of your way. It is when people assume their loving pets are just as important as people that I get pissed. Anyone who has kids and dogs knows what I mean. Your dog does not have the right to play in an area like the lower town wall at the expense of my kids' experience.

(i like dogs way more than i like people)

You might like me. I am a lot like a dog in many ways.

The problem is people get so attached to their dogs that they forget they are dogs and will behave as dogs. Dogs see us people as strange dogs that just don’t get it.

Dogs are dog and not people. The human emotions we see in dogs are just that, what we see. They are form a human perspective. Try thinking about life from a dogs perspective and it changes fast.

It is a pack and not a family. The dog belongs some where with in the pack collective. Larger dogs tend the act in the alpha male role.

I would never have a large male dog with children in the house.

A few years ago I was bitten by a dog while running.

I was huffing and puffing up a hill and almost to the top when I see this guy coming down with his dog on a leash. As I go to pass him the dog suddenly jumps out and bites me and this out of no where, no warning barking or posturing.

The owner does not know what to say or do. As it turns out this dog lives just a block from where I got bit. This dog has been barking at me for a long time. Every time I run past him he ran to the fence and barked at me. Now he was out side and had a chance to get at me and was not going to pass up the opportunity. You see, it is a dog! It is what dogs do. They protect their pack.

The dog saw me as another dog, and he was going to make sure I knew he was the boss.

Dogs are dogs and not people.

It might not work once they are actually attacking but I've found that pretty much all barking dogs will turn and flee if you just bend down and pretend to pick up a rock. This has worked with dogs in Asia and Europe as well as here. I think it is a universal language.

I was jogging in La Push and was followed by a loose pitbull who was definitely uncomfortable with me. He ran after me, growling, clearly with violent intent, until his owner called him back. He listened to his owner, ran half-way back, changed his mind, and charged me again.

I played varsity ball. I smacked him square in the face with a good sized rock. He decided to leave me alone after that.

His owner was livid, until I suggested we call the tribal police....

I was jogging in La Push and was followed by a loose pitbull who was definitely uncomfortable with me. He ran after me, growling, clearly with violent intent, until his owner called him back. He listened to his owner, ran half-way back, changed his mind, and charged me again.

I played varsity ball. I smacked him square in the face with a good sized rock. He decided to leave me alone after that.

His owner was livid, until I suggested we call the tribal police....

Good on you! Livid? Fuck him. Keep your fucking dog leashed or don't cry if it ends up with its skull bashed in.

My college buddies dad was a railroad cop, and cap 'ed a pit. Better than a rock, unless you're Randy Johnson.

In the Serengitti, the baboons are scared of black guys (guides) with rocks, but act aggressively towards Muzungus (whites) with rocks, presumably because we can't throw hard. Guess they never heard of the Big Unit or the Big Train

My mother-in-law has a pit bull she rescued from a shelter. It came from a larger city and it has issues. She has to work continually with the dog and it has already bitten one person. She talks to a pet psychic (I'm not kidding), sees a personal dog trainer and has a doggie masseuse come by once a week for stress relief. If you get a pit bull you might get lucky... or you might get a dog you have to work with all the time just to keep it under control. Once your dog shows signs of aggression either your life changes drastically to make sure it never bites anyone - or you chain the dog up in the back yard the rest of it's life. Either way it would suck. Personally I want a dog I can take out around strangers not have to worry about growling and nips.

PS... I always have to like my favorite dog photo... this is my old dog Pharaoh. He died last spring - World's best dog. He was not really aggressive... honest!

Finley_oldpix%20-%20058.jpg

or you do the appropriate thing and put the dog down. period. half the problem is that people ARE too emotionally attached to their animal or not attached at all. I do love dogs more than people, however if i do find myself with an aggressive dog who bites any one, i will be completely wrecked but i will have the dog put down. Just like you have to kill a farm dog once they start killing sheep or chickens. just like if my child killed someone i would see them go to jail. (i would have my dog put in jail if i thought it would understand what it meant, but i think that it is more humane to put the dog down than to chain it in the back yard)

the problem with dogs and children is people who run around with the "my___________ would never do such a thing"

swirlfoot is exactly right in that dogs need to understand their place in the pack. with out pecking order the animals and children are lost and out of control.

this is one of those arguments that can never be won becuase there is no "right" only a collection of personal opinions and experiences.

back to the original point about folks who take their dogs or cats or monkeys (i have seen all of the above) to the crag... your rights and your animals rights only extend so far as they are not interfering with someone else's rights. so if you dog is barking at night or at the crag or shitting in someone else's yard or biting or doing anything that is crossing that line, then you need to change your behavior and your dogs behavior.

Try getting homeowners insurance if you own a pit.

from what i hear State Farm makes a point of not discriminating against any breed. Even American Staffordshire terriers.

Not true about state farm, unfortunately.

A coworker's home owner's insurance through statefarm was cancelled when they found out he had a rott. I don't know the details.

I have homeowner's insurance through State Farm and they made a point of specifically asking me if I had a pitbull, rott or wolf-breed dog.

But, I'm sure there are companies who would insure you if you owned a pit, it just may cost more.

Edited by rob

I said it fluctuated - thats all. Regardless -- the likelihood of being mauled by a pit bull is very slim. You're more likely to get gang raped in the park or die from eating too many hamburgers. People get so worked up over loose dogs - what happens when they travel out of suburban USA?

When I was growing up in rural Montana, problem dogs were simply shot.

The bull ("Debo") was actually a pet we raised from a bottle. He used to come up and stick his head in the car window when you pulled up - scared visitors to death. Pharaoh used to run circles around Debo trying to get him riled up but Debo never got excited about anything. (BTW this was taken at my parent's farm outside of Cville VA.)

That's pretty cool.

BTW, does it really snow in Charlottesville? Ever? Please tell me you PhotoShopped that in, right? ;)