Wherever you were, go back there next weekend

builder206

On Saturday Index was almost deserted. The weather was dry, cool, mostly cloudy A.M. to all cloudy P.M. Where was everybody? There was one team on Winkie Dinkie Cliff, one on Newest Industry, one on Princely Ambitions. Country was empty. When we rapped down through GNS about 2:30 even that route was deserted. 2:30 on a Saturday and not a soul on GNS!

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

typical.

index seems to go through fads of popularity.

and braggin about being there w/o people will not bring the hordes that you may seek.

~we climbers should push for train depot in Index so commute cost is decreased...

i found the same, we did steel pulse and a few at private idaho and didn't see anyone up there. parking in town we saw a party of 4 headed up towards rattletail.

steel pulse was fairly dirty, it could use a little more traffic, and maybe another bolt or two :grin::grin: .

To Cman or Bldr,

Hey, you weren't the owner of the aggressive brown dog that was roaming around unleashed and snarled and nipped at my friend were you?

To whomever the owner of that dog is: I almost killed your dog - came pretty close to smashing its head in with a rock.

:wave:

On Saturday Index was almost deserted. The weather was dry, cool, mostly cloudy A.M. to all cloudy P.M. Where was everybody? There was one team on Winkie Dinkie Cliff, one on Newest Industry, one on Princely Ambitions. Country was empty. When we rapped down through GNS about 2:30 even that route was deserted. 2:30 on a Saturday and not a soul on GNS!

Why do some people insist on advertising the fact that certain crags are empty (e.g. Peshastin Pinnacles and Index). Do you really want to see more people???? Do you really want to be around more climbers??? {Why?????????} Keep it to yourself and hope the trend continues!

Hey, you weren't the owner of the aggressive brown dog that was roaming around unleashed and snarled and nipped at my friend were you?

Regarding nasty dogs at the crags: not everyone appreciates nor wants to see your flea-bitten pride and joy. Personally, I'd rather they be kept at home. Once I watched as one rummaged through my pack while I was anchored in to a belay, and another time I saw someone's tethered crag-pooch nearly decimated by a falling rock. I generally love animals but if someone's personal beast acts aggressive towards me, the normal rules of polite engagement are suspended.

To Cman or Bldr,

Hey, you weren't the owner of the aggressive brown dog that was roaming around unleashed and snarled and nipped at my friend were you? .....

:wave:

I love it when there are dogs like that... So much fun... esp if you are belaying...

Why do some people insist on advertising the fact that certain crags are empty (e.g. Peshastin Pinnacles and Index). Do you really want to see more people???? Do you really want to be around more climbers??? {Why?????????} Keep it to yourself and hope the trend continues!

I'm so sorry! I forgot Index was a secret that hardly anyone knew about! You're right, if I hadn't made that post Index would never have crowds.

I'm so sorry! I forgot Index was a secret that hardly anyone knew about! You're right, if I hadn't made that post Index would never have crowds.

Hey Wisenheimer...you missed the point. YOU ACT LIKE YOU MISS THEM!!! Enjoy it while it lasts.

"no one to watch! no one to watch me! no one to share beta! no snarling dogs! no Mounties yelling "what???", no near-misses with dropped gear, blah, blah, blah....what do I do? How will I live????"

I saw several dogs that were with a group hiking down from lookout point. one of them stepped on our rope while i was belaying NTM, very poor manners but not as bad as being bitten, but they weren't aggressive towards me. one of them was brown, i think.

Hey Alpinfox - glad you didn't smash Mack's head in. He's a good dog that was completely friendly to your friend later in the day. Don't know what happened during that one instance. He's not agressive. Your friend said he growled but said nothing of nipping. Anyways...glad you didn't smash his head in cause I would have done the same to you. I'll keep him on a leash in more populated areas from now on. Usually he stays by my pack and picks up hotties as he sees them. Ladies love Mack.

Hey Wisenheimer...you missed the point. YOU ACT LIKE YOU MISS THEM!!!

I think the title of his thread speaks to the contrary. ;)

I don't know if I'd say that I had ever seen Index "crowded". Well, maybe if you consider a one party wait for Godzilla, GNS, Jap Gardens and Princely Ambitions....but crowded! I've been gone for a year and a half but I doubt things changed that much.

At least you guys out there are climbing. For the past four weekends in a row it's been raining here in Spain. I think I've got 1 day in. Such a bummer and hearing that nobody is at Index gives me Index crack envy...oh well.....only four weeks to go!

Actually, this year I have seen the busiest days at index I have ever seen. I guess it depends on what your climbing as the main part of the lower wall had folks on almost every popular route from model worker to thin fingers.

Edit, I actually had to wait to get on a non 5.9 route that wasn't thin fingers...

Edited by eric8

Maybe I've been lucky, but in recent years I have not been to Index when it was near as busy as it was some times in the 80's or maybe early 90's. I remember seeing it so busy the parking lot was a complete zoo and cars were parked along the road, multiple parties were at Private Idaho and Lookout Point, and several parties down the road at RacerX and, what is it? Beetle Bailey?

By the way, I mostly climb at out of the way places where there is nobody around - and I enjoy it. However, I find it easy to have a good day at a busy and crowded crag. I simply adjust my expectations accordingly and accept the fact that I may not be able to max out the training factor or have extended private time on the climb that I am going to flail on. Sometimes I even have a good time while passing another party or being passed and it doesn't turn into a mess.

Hey Alpinfox - glad you didn't smash Mack's head in. He's a good dog that was completely friendly to your friend later in the day. Don't know what happened during that one instance. He's not agressive. Your friend said he growled but said nothing of nipping. Anyways...glad you didn't smash his head in cause I would have done the same to you. I'll keep him on a leash in more populated areas from now on. Usually he stays by my pack and picks up hotties as he sees them. Ladies love Mack.

Johnson,

Thanks for posting.

I was leading our group up the trail and Mack walked down the trail towards us. I was surprised to see a dog off leash with no owner around, but figured he was a chill dog. I stopped walking, checked him out trying to gage his manners, put my hand down and let him smell me. He seemed OK with me. Then I walked by and we were all looking over at the right side of the LTW looking for a friend. When we turned to go back to Roger's Corner, Mack started snarling and sort of hopping and nipping at the back of Emily's (person at the back of our group) backpack and the backs of her legs. I started yelling and picked up a couple rocks and got between Mack and the rest of our group. Mack was trying to follow us and still seemed aggressive. In fact, he followed us all the way over to the trail that goes up to RC. Your other two dogs were tied up and the smaller one (border collie?) was barking a lot. The big husky one seemed totally chill.

Had Mack actually bitten Emily, yes, I would have smashed him. I also would have called the cops and I imagine you would have been fined or cited or arrested. I dunno. I love dogs, but obviously not dogs that attack people.

I encourage you to leave the dogs at home if they can't be attended at the base of the crag. Being barked at (even by a dog that is tied up) is no fun and being nipped and snarled at by a dog that is off-leash and unattended is totally unacceptable.

Like I wrote before, I'll leash him in the populated areas from now on when i can't be around him. He has never nipped at anyone ever before so i don't know what was going on with that. Usually he sits by my pack and makes tons of friends. My buddy's barking puppy may not have helped the situation and we do need to get her bark under control (I completely agree -nothing like leading Princely with a barking dog in the background -it sucks). I tried to talk to you guys as I was up at the chains on top of pitch 1. All I saw and heard was the two dogs barking, people running, panic, and someone yelling "leash your fucking dog." So... my apologies to Emily and your crew. We rapped down quickly because I was very concerned and yes Mack was leashed on our next climb. I'd like to encourage people to remain calm around strange dogs even if they are barking or growling. Panic usually makes the situation worse.

My guess is you just lucked out.

I had a similar experience on what should have been a super busy/crowded weekend at Ingalls last July, when we were the only party on route that day, and only saw one other party the whole day (coming up the other side).

I once saw an aggressive dog kicked off the ledge at the Lower Wall.

Not sure what happened in the case that started this thread but in the over the ledge case I saw the dog deserved it and frankly so did the owner.

I have nothing against dogs but seeing a bunch of crap come off the cliffs over the years I gotta think people who bring their dogs to the Lower Wall are pretty short sighted individuals.