how do you make a crag nap friendly?

genepires

So I am looking at some cragging time this year with a small little 1 year old. I was wondering what some folks have done to create a place for the little ones to take that crucial mid day nap?

I was thinking of a small kiddie tent that could be dyed really dark. (with padding inside of course) Reasonable? Workable? Any better ideas?

thanks

gene

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have no trouble napping at the crag, particularly when Gene is leading! (yawn)

Remember that nasty Smith accident thread (someone will find it for me) where dad was leading and took a fall and mom didn't catch him because she was chasing the kids around the base of the crag? That was bad. My take-home message was that it's a bad idea to have the belayer doubling as caregiver for a small child. In both cases you need to be able to drop what you're doing and devote 100%. If you don't bad stuff happens. (insert thundercloud emoticon)

That said, here's Ben's first crag nap (on Mambo Jambo):

4222hang1.JPG

It has been some years, but there used to be a really durable, collapsable playpen that we took everywhere with us - camping, climbing, etc. Just spread a blanket over the top, and they get quite a bit of breeze through the sides. Also helps for those non-nap times as well when you are belaying.....

I love your photograph. Both my children readily slept in my Kelty carrier. Just make sure they are strapped in, and um, maybe a helmet, even a bicycle helmet. It has been and continues to be the rule at our house that you wear a helmet. It started with Tricycle for no other reason that to get in the habit. It extends to scrabbles, (I have not taken any of them on rope yet) skiing/boarding, bicycles, skate boards, CLIMBING GYM, Etc.

the play pen is a great idea, those kelty packs have a stand on them that helps... thing 2 used to sleep in the pack just set up on the ground. sometimes just a shady spot under a tree on a blanket (watch out for bugs) i would be more inclined to have a tent made of mesh rather than a dark tent. i would think the dark tent would be too hot. kids will learn to sleep any where if you encourage them. i found that if i layed down with them they would fall asleep. it realy really helps to have a third who cares about your children deeply. that way parents can climb and not worry so much.