Tax Rebate

KaskadskyjKozak

What will you spend your rebate on?  

132 members have voted

1. 1. What will you spend your rebate on?

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It doesn't stimulate anything. They are desparately trying to boost consumer confidence. I don't believe people are so easily fooled, but maybe they are...
I think the media really helps people talk themselves into a recession.

No. They talk us into depression.

If individuals who don't make enough money to actually pay any federal income tax are getting a $300 rebate, can it really be called a rebate? Also, I suspect that Washington state and local governments will simply snatch it out of our greedy little beaks the very second the feds regurgitate it into our mailbox.

If they want to stimulate the economy…..try getting out of the current Iraq occupation that costs 12 billion a month and put that money towards jobs and health care and education and getting this country off coal.

silly boner. it's all about bread and circuses.

arguing Juvenal with a juvenille?

it definitely went over his head. not hard to do.

There's also a whole bunch of tax breaks for businesses in the stimulus plan. Perhaps the giveaway to the general public is what is required to sneak through the other cuts. Certainly giving average joe money gets more attention than yet more loopholes for corporations.

What is the common perception of what corporations do with revenues that are not ultimately spent on pay/benefits, capital expenditures, distributed to shareholders as dividends, etc?

A lot of them hoard cash for the inevitable down turn in the cycle. You know, the way the government should be.

If they want to stimulate the economy…..try getting out of the current Iraq occupation that costs 12 billion a month and put that money towards jobs and health care and education and getting this country off coal.

silly boner. it's all about bread and circuses.

arguing Juvenal with a juvenille?

it definitely went over his head. not hard to do.

I would respond but I don’t understand! :grin:

I personally hope that this incident will show the Spanish the error of their ways, and they'll pull their troops out of the Middle East, and substantially reform their imperialist policies.

"Raids foiled Barcelona bomb plot, says judge

Martin Hodgson and agencies

Thursday January 24, 2008

The Guardian

A group of alleged Islamist militants arrested in Barcelona at the weekend were planning a suicide bomb attack on the city's public transport system, a Spanish judge said yesterday.

Twelve Pakistani and two Indian nationals were detained in a series of raids in the city on Sunday.

After seven hours of questioning, Judge Ismael Moreno yesterday freed two of the men, but 10 suspects were held pending further investigation. All 10 deny any involvement in terrorism.

Article continues

Although the men have not been charged with any offence, the judge's order allows them to remain in jail while authorities gather more evidence.

Moreno said the group was "very close" to "full technical capacity" in the production of explosives, and had already chosen three men to carry out the suicide attack, which was planned for last weekend.

The three, named as Muhammad Shoaib, Mehmooh Khalib and Imran Cheema, arrived in Barcelona from Pakistan some time between October and mid-January, according to the judge, who said it was common for suicide attackers to arrive at their targeted site shortly before a planned attack. It was not clear which part of the public transport network was the target of the alleged plot.

All of those arrested belong to Tablighi Jamaat, an Islamist party which Moreno accused of promoting the "indiscriminate" use of violence to attain political ends.

In an operation led by the civil guard and the national intelligence agency, officers raided several apartments, two mosques and a bakery in the Raval neighbourhood, close to the Ramblas in the city centre. Alfredo Pérez Rubalcaba, Spain's interior minister, said the intelligence services had acted with the help of information from foreign agencies, but it emerged in yesterday's hearing that the police had also received tip-offs from an informer.

According to Moreno, officers discovered supplies of nitrocellulose, a highly flammable compound found in nail polish and varnish, which can also be used as an explosive.

Local newspaper reports said intelligence officials based in Pakistan had warned the Spanish authorities that a known militant had left Pakistan for Barcelona to help launch a terrorist plot.

Speaking after the arrests, Rubalcaba said that the detainees "belonged to a well-organized group that had gone a step beyond radicalisation".

Photographs of material found in the raids included timing devices, a small bag of ball bearings, batteries and cables.

"When someone has timers in their home, you have no option but to think violent acts are being planned," said Rubalcaba.

With a general election set for March 9, Spain is on alert for terrorist attacks by Islamists or the Basque militant group ETA. On March 11 2004, 191 people were killed in Europe's worst terror attack when Islamists detonated bombs in four trains in Madrid three days before the last general election. Last year, 21 of 28 suspects tried for their role in the bombings were convicted of terrorism and other charges in connection with the bombings."

I'd say they're doing rather well. They are just quietly doing good police work rather that heaving around all the political fanfare and declaring a "Worldwide War on Terror" WTF that is, making Axis of Evil speeches, or depleting their treasury on misdirected adventures.

That's a good question. I don't know. There's something about the Islamic movement in Europe, an increasing bent on isolation from the larger society, disenchantment, anger, and a retreat to fundamentalism that is ripe for the dark side. I've been doing some reading and it's weird. Why pick on the Spaniards? I don't know. Maybe they are just the easier targets of Western Europe and are therefore as good as any western nation(?)

The preference for dismissively reciting jokey articles of faith instead of addressing the question is quite revealing. Just what I'd expect given that the answers, were they given, would undermine many of the oft-articulated notions about the factors that inspire Islamist terror.

Edited to except Jim from the above....

Edited by JayB

Well it appears from your use of Spain as an example (instead of say, Indonesia, Pakistan, Lebanon) that you are trying to make the point that terror won't stop if the Iraq fiasco is abandoned.

Good for you! Brilliant deduction.

Are you expecting one of us to defend the opposite? Why would we? It's rather simplistic and probably wrong.