Denali Expedition 2008 - Looking for 10-12 member

vertical_hiker

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...The idea of a being that is "always right" is uniquely Christian. The religion attracts those who have need for such a ridiculous notion as perfection, which, after all, is a completely human construct.

Christianity is hardly unique in this respect. Islam also portrays Allah as being "always right" and perfect in every way. Islam, like Cristianity, also attracts those who have no idea how to live a life by their own construction. Islam goes so far as to say that men must wear beards, women must be veiled lest they arouse the male libido, you can't be in the same room with a dog, you can't touch a woman to whom you aren't married, and you have to wipe your ass with your left hand only.

I wouldn't know, I've never read the Koran nor had any Islamic religious training. Have you?

I won't claim I've "read" the Qur'an, but I've "looked" at it enough (you can listen to recitations on teh interwebz) to know its general contents. Plus, I've read a lot about Islam and have talked for years with Muslim friends. Plus, my father spent the last 30-odd years (1968-2000) of his career in the Middle East working/dealing/interacting with Muslims on a day-to-day basis, and has shared his experiences with me at length. So in that respect, I'd say, "Yes, I would know."

I've mused over your posts for a long time, tvash. You seem to be an intelligent, informed individual by most measures. You'd even be surprised at how similar I believe our philosphical/spiritual viewpoints to be. So why always the antagonistic attitude from you?

great, now kevbone's taking directions from rumr. this place has reached a new low

Hey Minx, watch this!

KEVBONE, THIS IS GOD, PLEASE PROCEED TO THE NEXT HIGH RISE BUILDING, GO UP IT, AND SWAN DIVE OFF THE ROOF! NOOOOOW!

think it'll work??

well my god can beat your god up

i'll pack the next one aussie :(

Pfff :rolleyes: well my god has super powers. what now?!

mk, but would you mind if we switched to a bong? pipes suck :\

I got you all beat.

My GOD made, and created all of your gods and can make any of your gods do anything that my GOD wants.

So there; stuff that in your pipe and smoke it!

...The idea of a being that is "always right" is uniquely Christian. The religion attracts those who have need for such a ridiculous notion as perfection, which, after all, is a completely human construct.

Christianity is hardly unique in this respect. Islam also portrays Allah as being "always right" and perfect in every way. Islam, like Cristianity, also attracts those who have no idea how to live a life by their own construction. Islam goes so far as to say that men must wear beards, women must be veiled lest they arouse the male libido, you can't be in the same room with a dog, you can't touch a woman to whom you aren't married, and you have to wipe your ass with your left hand only.

I wouldn't know, I've never read the Koran nor had any Islamic religious training. Have you?

I won't claim I've "read" the Qur'an, but I've "looked" at it enough (you can listen to recitations on teh interwebz) to know its general contents. Plus, I've read a lot about Islam and have talked for years with Muslim friends. Plus, my father spent the last 30-odd years (1968-2000) of his career in the Middle East working/dealing/interacting with Muslims on a day-to-day basis, and has shared his experiences with me at length. So in that respect, I'd say, "Yes, I would know."

I've mused over your posts for a long time, tvash. You seem to be an intelligent, informed individual by most measures. You'd even be surprised at how similar I believe our philosphical/spiritual viewpoints to be. So why always the antagonistic attitude from you?

Same reason why N.O.W. goes ballistic over Augusta but has can't bring itself to muster a fiftieth of the energy denouncing burquas, honor killings, genital mutilation, dowry-killings, etc....

Rousseau's noble savage fantasy repackaged for the PC-era. All virtue lies with the primitive, oppressed, colonized, etc.

Can't a guy ask a simple question around here without everyone getting all huffy? Jebus.

I got you all beat.

My GOD made, and created all of your gods and can make any of your gods do anything that my GOD wants.

My universe does not require your god in order to exist. Therefore, by principle of Occam's razor, your god is irrelevant.

Same reason why N.O.W. goes ballistic over Augusta but has can't bring itself to muster a fiftieth of the energy denouncing burquas, honor killings, genital mutilation, dowry-killings, etc....

Um...N.O.W. deals only with domestic issues. That's why it's not called I.O.W.

Dumbass.

"NOW Continues Campaign to End Violence Against Women in Juarez, Mexico."

http://www.now.org/nnt/fall-2006/juarez.html

-----------------------------------------------------------------

"Feminist Super Bowl AdWatch Finds Few Women, But Plenty of Demeaning Stereotypes

February 4, 2008

Where were the women? This was a common cry from the monitors in the National Organization for Women Foundation's 2008 Feminist Super Bowl Ad Watch.

"By the second quarter, I said to my friends that there were more animals in the ads than women," said Karen from Florida.

"Women were virtually non-existent in speaking roles and the overwhelming tone exalted violence," reported Gail from Texas. Another monitor stressed that when women were shown they were as passive objects - not active players in the storyline. Often, women's sexual availability to men was central to the theme of the sales pitch.

The use of diversity in the ads could often be boiled down to "blatant racism" and "ethnic exploitation," as many of these characters were stereotyped and cartoonish.

Advertisers paid an average of $2.7 million for a 30 second commercial this year - a sure sign that they believe their commercials will make a big impact on the viewing audience. The NOW Foundation agrees with these companies -- advertising does matter in our media-saturated culture. The portrayal of women and girls, people of color, and other disenfranchised groups can affect how they are viewed in society and how they feel about themselves.

That's why the NOW Foundation got in the game and compiled our own feminist rankings for the best and worst ads. GoDaddy.com's ad was voted the most offensive, with the Planters ad not far behind."

I got you all beat.

My universe does not require your god in order to exist. Therefore, by principle of Occam's razor, your god is irrelevant.

Oh yeah? Well go eat some squid in that case!

Um...N.O.W. deals only with domestic issues. That's why it's not called I.O.W.

Dumbass.

"NOW Continues Campaign to End Violence Against Women in Juarez, Mexico."

http://www.now.org/nnt/fall-2006/juarez.html

-----------------------------------------------------------------

"Feminist Super Bowl AdWatch Finds Few Women, But Plenty of Demeaning Stereotypes

February 4, 2008

Where were the women? This was a common cry from the monitors in the National Organization for Women Foundation's 2008 Feminist Super Bowl Ad Watch.

"By the second quarter, I said to my friends that there were more animals in the ads than women," said Karen from Florida.

"Women were virtually non-existent in speaking roles and the overwhelming tone exalted violence," reported Gail from Texas. Another monitor stressed that when women were shown they were as passive objects - not active players in the storyline. Often, women's sexual availability to men was central to the theme of the sales pitch.

The use of diversity in the ads could often be boiled down to "blatant racism" and "ethnic exploitation," as many of these characters were stereotyped and cartoonish.

Advertisers paid an average of $2.7 million for a 30 second commercial this year - a sure sign that they believe their commercials will make a big impact on the viewing audience. The NOW Foundation agrees with these companies -- advertising does matter in our media-saturated culture. The portrayal of women and girls, people of color, and other disenfranchised groups can affect how they are viewed in society and how they feel about themselves.

That's why the NOW Foundation got in the game and compiled our own feminist rankings for the best and worst ads. GoDaddy.com's ad was voted the most offensive, with the Planters ad not far behind."

I did now watch any of the Super Board, but I am going to check out the GoDaddy.com Add. It sounds like if NOW did not like it I should.

Thanks,

I got you all beat.

Oh yeah? Well go eat some squid in that case!

I just wanted to see more quotes

Can't a guy ask a simple question around here without everyone getting all huffy? Jebus.

Maybe I read more into the (what I thought to be pejorative) "Have you?" than I should have. For that, I apologize.

I got you all beat.

Your ignorance does not affect my reality. :moondance:

I got you all beat.

Your ignorance does not affect my reality. :moondance:

Whooha....more quotes.....