substitute for rope cutter- (hot knife)?

Jens

I want to buy one of the rope cutters that have a hot blade that works by plugging into the outlet but I don't want to spend 150 bucks on something that I would use for 2 minutes a few times a year and would just take up storage space.

Does anyone have any tricks for a substitute? Just cuttiing it with a sharp knife and then using a lighter doesn't give the clean job I am looking for and hangs up on crampon latches, chain anhcors, and harness buckles.

Or would anyone loan me one for a couple of days?

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep, just heat up an old knife with a torch or your stove top and cut away, pretty much works the same as an electric hot knife. It helps to cut on a cutting board or something just like you would with the electric knife, just slowly press the well heated blade into the rope. A soldering iron works too, some even have a cutting blade.

make one.

It's always fun to goof around with electricity.

A guy down the hall in my dorm cut a lamp cord, fixed the ends to two forks, stuck the forks in opposite ends of a hotdog, plugged the cord into the outlet, and cooked hotdogs on paper plates this way.

All went well until, once, he plugged the sucker into the recepticle before sticking the forks into the hotdog. All the lights on the whole floor of the dorm went out...

...and the forks were welded together.

Wrap the rope or cord in masking tape (not duct tape or scotch tape) before you cut it, cut it with scissors (not a knife) to get a super clean cut. Then just torch it with a lighter. Super clean trimmed cut with no $150 cost or ugly melted blob of polypro on the end of the rope.

I use electrical tape and a knife that's sharp enough so that you don't have to do much sawing. Melt the end (even a match will do) and roll it into the desired end shape.

make one.

A guy down the hall in my dorm cut a lamp cord, fixed the ends to two forks, stuck the forks in opposite ends of a hotdog, plugged the cord into the outlet, and cooked hotdogs on paper plates this way.

Was just wondering --How long for a 20 LB Turkey since Xmas is coming

Masking tape is the best to use, it what we used in a climbing rope factory that I worked at. It doesn't melt like electrical and duct tape does. Like Dru said, use sharp scissors for cutting, but a sharp knife will work as well, harder to keep a clean cut though. Keep the tape on the rope after cutting. You can get a cheap soldering iron for less than $10 at a hardware store, your best option. Lighter and electric stove will work as well. I am not sure if I would try heating a knife since it will probably get to hot to handle. At home I have always used a lighter, just make sure to melt the end for a while so that the melted end is thick, which will prevent cracking a fraying of the end of the rope. After melting the end remove tape and melt the sheath at the end, this will again help prevent cracking and fraying of the rope end. It is important to fuse the end of sheath to the core or you can have slippage.