Which of your freedoms were taken away

billcoe

You guys have been railing against Hugo Chavez for quite a while now. How he is abusing the democratic process and slowly but surely consolidating power until it impossible to "legally" oppose him.

Well maybe I'm a bit paranoid but I see a bit of the same thing going on with Bush.

- imprisoning people without any due course

- wiretapping and spying on other communications without warrants

- refusing to allow oversight of congress or the courts as to what he is specifically wiretapping

- firing members of law-enforcement whom it appears will not do his political bidding (and then refusing to submit to oversight of the courts or congress when they want to see why this is going on)

You might say I'm paranoid, but I think the founders of the country designed it well. And they put these specific checks and balances in operation to prevent abuses of power. Buschco is blatantly disregarding these checks. Your only defense is that you "trust" Bush. As he gives no accounting of what he is doing. Those of us who don't trust him are worried. He could be using these tactics to consolidate power (spying on domestic political opposition, firing prosecutors who won't trump up charges against political opponents, imprisoning opponents or at least imprisoning random brown-skinned individuals so as to stoke terror fear).

As for which of my rights have been taken away, I'm not feeling too threatened because I'm white, non-muslim and I don't travel too much. If I were brown-skinned, muslim (or had muslim relatives) or frequently travelled overseas, I'll bet I'd have some issues. How about that attorney in Oregon who was held for months without charge because of a fingerprint error and the fact that his wife was Muslim?

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've figured that one thing that Republicans and Democrats still have in common in this extremely polarized environment is distrust of the government. It amazes me how Republicans like you guys are willing to just lie down and take it for the good of the GOP.

How are you going to like it when Hillary is elected and she will have all these extra-constitutional powers that Bush has accumulated? If you guys were smart you'd be thinking ahead.

It is a disservice to retarded folks to call Bush retarded. He is not retarded he is ignorant and lazy. When one is retarded there is no ability to learn. Bush willfully resists learning and is proud of it, his supporters sneer at learning and learned people. From his standpoint he does not have to learn and his life has confirmed this. After all he was (ellected) it is not his fault it is ours.

It was funny when family guy used the Kool-aid guy but you are a zombie fuck that follows whatever [noun needed] your retard[ed] leader tells you to. Make one coheirant [clever spelling] intelligent thought come from your mouth [i'd like to see a thought come from his mouth as well] and my head will explode, then you won[']t have to listen to me anymore, come on, i dare you!!! [comma fetish?]

another vote for college athletics

Not sure about your obsession with my education, but trust me... you don't want to go there. :yawn:

Bottom line: Bush may not be the sharpest knife in the drawer, but he can run circles around you.

Must suck to defend that buffoon, especially since you seem to be one of the mental midgets he taught to be proud of mediocrity.

I've got more education than dumbya, if thats the feeble point you're trying to make.

But far more importantly, I'm smart enough to know that formal education and degrees have little to do with intelligence. I have houseplants with more intellectual curiosity than the two of you.

Let me guess... you think Clarence Thomas is a great Supreme Court justice too, don't ya? :crosseye:

You mean the guy with the Bachelor's from Yale and the Master's degree from Harvard?

Advanced degrees are much more about persistence and stubbornness than intelligence. That said, I've known some folks with advanced degrees that I wouldn't trust to manage a McDonalds. An advanced degree says absolutely nothing about your level of common sense or your ability to apply classroom based knowledge anywhere but in the classroom.

And if you'd like i'd be more than happy to give you my credentials :P

Advanced degrees are much more about persistence and stubbornness than intelligence...

Not true at all.

Statistically, there is a strong correlation between intelligence and higher education, especially post-graduate degrees. The correlation is even stronger w/r/t tier-one schools. And I'm sure Bush's credentials compared to those of a huge chunk of the participants on this forum will bear those statistics out - with only a very few counterexamples. But, taking that aside, Bush's malapropisms and mangled statements are no worse than those of the average smug, arrogant, Bush-hating detractor on this internet forum. And it's ironic to listen to some vitriol spewing dimwit with no higher education dismiss Bush's educational pedigree as "meaningless" (a la No. 13 and Adam 13).

Bush's intelligence or supposed lack thereof has been discussed ad nauseum both here and elsewhere. The fact is, he is a highly educated man with above average intelligence. He's obviously not in the 99th percentile but I don't really want a quantum physicist running this country (or our dear Gary Yngwe for that mattter) for the very reasons stated by you - high intelligence often does not map to practicality in the real world. But you can be damn sure that neither Gore nor Kerrey is much different in intelligence than Bush (in Huxleyan terms they are all typical BETAs and nothing more). To state otherwise is a laughable claim easily explained away by rose-colored glasses tinted by political group-think.

i lost the freedom to walk the street without fear of being imprisoned without representation on suspicion of terrorism .

the blanket terrorism' banner' IS terrorism as its best.

bush and assoc.have been terrorising america.

terrorism is an invention. manhattan renovation project is an invention.

al queda is an invention

daily terrorism in the media is an invention.

all to make you vote for the pillagers of democracy.

and oblige you have in your quest to conform, be right and be lead.

the only freedom our youth is protecting is the freedom to steal,kill, rape .pillage and torture.

if we dont lose our car and our house and our cards, we feel we lost nothing.

so many innocent people must die for OUR so called freedom.

the bully does earn is money, he takes it.

freedom and domination only equate in the mind of the conqueror.

dems,reps, they all answer to corporations,banks and generals.

decades will pass before we, as a people realised this.

Advanced degrees are much more about persistence and stubbornness than intelligence...

Not true at all.

Statistically, there is a strong correlation between intelligence and higher education, especially post-graduate degrees. The correlation is even stronger w/r/t tier-one schools. And I'm sure Bush's credentials compared to those of a huge chunk of the participants on this forum will bear those statistics out - with only a very few counterexamples. But, taking that aside, Bush's malapropisms and mangled statements are no worse than those of the average smug, arrogant, Bush-hating detractor on this internet forum. And it's ironic to listen to some vitriol spewing dimwit with no higher education dismiss Bush's educational pedigree as "meaningless" (a la No. 13 and Adam 13).

Bush's intelligence or supposed lack thereof has been discussed ad nauseum both here and elsewhere. The fact is, he is a highly educated man with above average intelligence. He's obviously not in the 99th percentile but I don't really want a quantum physicist running this country (or our dear Gary Yngwe for that mattter) for the very reasons stated by you - high intelligence often does not map to practicality in the real world. But you can be damn sure that neither Gore nor Kerrey is much different in intelligence than Bush (in Huxleyan terms they are all typical BETAs and nothing more). To state otherwise is a laughable claim easily explained away by rose-colored glasses tinted by political group-think.

sugar coated cold blooded murderer

Not nearly as impressed with you as you clearly are yourself.

If Bush is so intelligent, explain his rejection from UT Law (his only non-legacy application). Although it is a fine law school, surely UT would be safety school for a legitimate Ivy league graduate.

If you yourself are so intelligent, why can't you manage to spell Senator Kerry's name, or ad nauseam.

Boasting about membership in an undergraduate honor society is comparable to wearing a high school letterman jacket past age eighteen. I know acceptance of Phi Beta Kappa invitations has dropped, and now I have an idea why.

Most of all, thanks for proving my point on the disconnect between intelligence and formal education. :tup:

I can't belive you all have seriously run this low on spray material. GW deceives the American public into war, balloons the federal deficit, erodes our civil liberties, and increases the gap between rich and poor, and you guys are debating his edumacational credentials and his intellimigence quotience?

Boooorrriiinnnggg!